Moving up to D1 Topic

My goal as a coach is to make as many NT's as possible without winning any NT games.
In Crum I'm 0-5.
In Wooden I'm 0-2.
In Knight I was 0-1.
That totals 0-8.
Can anyone top that?
Looks like i win...!
6/5/2015 9:16 AM
Posted by zorzii on 6/5/2015 7:43:00 AM (view original):
I think you guys discussion is a deadend. Colonels likes it at NO because he is the only coach that the team has had. He is doing quite well considering we all know that low end D-1, with no rollover money, can't compete with the big boys. I checked Tarkanian yesterday, saw many D1 big 6 teams (full divisions) that get nowhere near the success Colonels has had, heck i'd fire a lot of them. He could qualify to a big 6 team but it's not his thing. I am not defending him, just stating the facts. So, if you want to judge his success, you have to compare his achievements to low end D-1 teams, almost alone in their division... Cause some low-end divisions are filled and get more money, which is key to the game. So Colonels, if I was you, I'd take on a real big 6 program, somewhere else... You already have NO... So you could leave Loyola MD... to a big six programs when the time has come and face Gillespie (Kansas).

On the other hand, Gillespie is thinking that D1 success is based on NT wins, which is also right. So, unless you guys talk about the same thing, talk about how success should be measured but with the same premisses, I'd say stop arguing.
thats why i stopped arguing - but the thing is, i was saying we shouldn't be measuring the ideas on success and that its a stupid position for him to take. hes doing fine. 
6/5/2015 10:12 AM
He won't define his idea of success at low d1, that's why this conversation is done...not sure why he won't do it tho
6/5/2015 10:41 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/4/2015 10:53:00 PM (view original):
We inherently recruit differently, and I'm probably much further "off the grid" than most coaches.  I don't go into recruiting thinking I want X at P, or Y at ATH, or Z at DEF...I FSS, what I do, I look at the recruits and "watch" who I deem to be good players.  I don't want to and am not going to change how I recruit...I'm not billyg, I'm not whinenavy, I'm not tkimble, I'm not trentonjoe, I'm not johnsensing, I'm not mamxet, and I don't want to be.  I'm not looking for advice and I never was.

BTW, I'm amused that you keep digging at me/my team/my tactics, but then tell me not to bring up my "success".  Again what is success at low D1 according to you, and let's see what you've done at low D1.

I don't want to speak for others, but I think most of the good coaches don't think in absolutes.......I know I don't think a 69 is bad and a 70 is good.....I would suspect that your recruiting methods are similar to everyone else's, you just value the individual ratings differently.....I would even say it isn't THAT dfferent....Colonels tends to favor hi/hi cores with a high WE and considers the true cores (PER, LP, REB) more important than the secondary components (ATH,etc)......I don't think your reinventing the wheel there homeslice, you're just peeling the orange by starting it with a knife as opposed to biting it.
6/5/2015 10:44 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/5/2015 10:41:00 AM (view original):
He won't define his idea of success at low d1, that's why this conversation is done...not sure why he won't do it tho
Realistically, a truly successful season at low D1 is a S16.  I would consider a 2nd  round trip a major accomplishment.  Anyone who can routinely get to the S16 from a place like NO is a helluva coach.
6/5/2015 10:46 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/5/2015 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/5/2015 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Realistically, a truly successful season at low D1 is a S16.  I would consider a 2nd  round trip a major accomplishment.  Anyone who can routinely get to the S16 from a place like NO is a helluva coach.
This is how I would define success at low D1 as well.  First rounds are a sign you're doing fine and winning your conference.  Second round means you have a good enough team to beat another very good team.  Sweet 16 means you are capable of building a tremendous team at low D1.  Elite Eight means you're good and lucky.  Final Four and you're one of the top mid-major coaches in the game.
6/5/2015 7:02 PM
I have determined it's now impossible to move to D-1, pretty simple
6/6/2015 3:57 AM
I blame that on those that think they're the keepers of the HD covenant and should determine who should make D1 and who shouldn't.  I still feel like there were at least a handful of guys somewhere along the line that got in seble's ear and said "make it tougher to get to D1", because they see themselves as gods of the game.
6/6/2015 12:48 PM
It's not tough to get to D1. It's tough to get the team you want from D2. If it's tough to get there, it should be tough to stay at big 6 schools and A-10 schools get some people Fired.
6/6/2015 1:53 PM
Posted by ell3 on 6/6/2015 3:57:00 AM (view original):
I have determined it's now impossible to move to D-1, pretty simple
...Not sure if trolling...
6/6/2015 2:13 PM
◂ Prev 12345
Moving up to D1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.