What are your thoughts on superclasses? Topic

I cannot stand coaches that use superclasses exclusively, it takes no talent or creativity whatsoever.

I would absolutely LOVE to see class limits lowered to 5 or only let coaches keep 25% of their offseason recruiting money regardless of whether or not they need to sign any players. 100% of two postseason conference money plus 6 open schollies is way too much of an advantage at DII & DIII.
7/9/2015 4:04 PM
I never thought of the money aspect of it. Now, I understand why people use it in stacked divisions. In D1, to compete big 6 schools, it's allright.
7/9/2015 4:11 PM
All this talk of money triggered a question...I thought that the game max's you out at 6 scholarships worth of $ plus whatever your league's postseason cash is for that year, regardless of carry over, to hedge against cash hoarding. That actually made sense to me, but the dollar talk above (well, on the previous page now...) seems to indicate that there's no cap to the amount of cash a team can have. Is there really no maximum dollar amount a team can have on hand to take into recruiting with it? 
7/9/2015 11:34 PM
Posted by rednu on 7/9/2015 11:34:00 PM (view original):
All this talk of money triggered a question...I thought that the game max's you out at 6 scholarships worth of $ plus whatever your league's postseason cash is for that year, regardless of carry over, to hedge against cash hoarding. That actually made sense to me, but the dollar talk above (well, on the previous page now...) seems to indicate that there's no cap to the amount of cash a team can have. Is there really no maximum dollar amount a team can have on hand to take into recruiting with it? 
I sure there is a cap, but its only whatever the max amount of triple carryover and max conference post season cash would be...so in practicality, no...
7/10/2015 1:15 AM
If I recall correctly UNC in Crum had over $200K to recruit with a few seasons ago, so I'm guessing there's no cap on money.
7/10/2015 6:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no "hard cap" on the actual amount of recruiting or rollover money a coach can have. The only cap is the amount of money a coach gets for open scholarships, which is 6...so if a coach picks up a team and has 7+ opening to fill, he will only receive money for 6 scholarships.
7/10/2015 12:44 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 7/10/2015 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no "hard cap" on the actual amount of recruiting or rollover money a coach can have. The only cap is the amount of money a coach gets for open scholarships, which is 6...so if a coach picks up a team and has 7+ opening to fill, he will only receive money for 6 scholarships.
correct. dacj is referring to a theoretical maximum, which im sure there is, but its probably pretty damn high and not particularly relevant.
7/10/2015 2:57 PM
I have been somewhat successful with the superclass system, and understand why others might point fingers when someone has some success using a system different than their own.  I have done the standard 3/3/3/3 format and found it mundane and boring, at least to me. The superclass format is different and requires a different mindset and definitely an entirely different strategy.  And to respectfully dispute nachopuzzle, the creativity and strategy needed in this system far surpasses what is needed in a standard equal class format.  I like it, and plan to continue using it, and wish others would use it as well.  If something got changed, I would probably adapt to the changes as long as I enjoyed the game.  The ultimate question is "what is my goal in playing this game". I believe it is to win National Championships. In retrospect, I have a lot of respect for those that consider it a challenge to meet and beat my teams, or other superclasses, during high cycle.  Conversely, you wouldn't believe the number of non-conference game requests I get when approaching low cycle however. Again, it's just a game.  Good luck to everyone. 
7/12/2015 8:33 AM
Posted by twiddlebug on 7/12/2015 8:33:00 AM (view original):
I have been somewhat successful with the superclass system, and understand why others might point fingers when someone has some success using a system different than their own.  I have done the standard 3/3/3/3 format and found it mundane and boring, at least to me. The superclass format is different and requires a different mindset and definitely an entirely different strategy.  And to respectfully dispute nachopuzzle, the creativity and strategy needed in this system far surpasses what is needed in a standard equal class format.  I like it, and plan to continue using it, and wish others would use it as well.  If something got changed, I would probably adapt to the changes as long as I enjoyed the game.  The ultimate question is "what is my goal in playing this game". I believe it is to win National Championships. In retrospect, I have a lot of respect for those that consider it a challenge to meet and beat my teams, or other superclasses, during high cycle.  Conversely, you wouldn't believe the number of non-conference game requests I get when approaching low cycle however. Again, it's just a game.  Good luck to everyone. 
ill give you that the strategy required for super classing is different, and that the skills and tactics required are not simply a subset of "normal classing". there are some unique challenges. however, to say the creativity required far surpasses a normal class format... i really am surprised there is even 1 coach in the history of this game who would make that claim, thats how far off i see it. it is a fun and new challenge, but in the game of titles, i think its pretty obvious that its easier to win with 12 seniors and juniors than to win with 4-8. i say that not only theoretically but also from experience, with my 1st and 4th titles being super class titles.
7/12/2015 1:01 PM
I'm honestly not trying to be rude, but the internal logic of what you're saying doesn't even hold up...it takes more creativity and strategy to succeed with the superclass system, yet it is the best/easiest way to achieve your goal of winning National Championships????
7/12/2015 2:53 PM
In D2 and D3, I would like to see the money cutoff at 7 ships worth and not 6.  It's not necessary at D1 because there's already plenty of money to go around, but if you take over a team with 7 or more open ships and you only have money's worth for 6 to recruit...that's rough.  I have argued for this before and hold to it.
7/12/2015 3:41 PM
I think it helps level off the playing field with some of the weaker prestige teams at D-1.

The drawback to having 1-2 good seasons with the 6-6 super classes is that you might have 1-2 really lousy seasons.

I use it, but also don't have a problem with it. I think 6-6 is just as dangerous than a 12-0(all seniors), because you're getting twice as much money over the course of two seasons. Even for a while, when you could recruit 12 freshman, you were only allotted enough cash for 6 open scholarships.  If you get high WE guys with that second group of six, they're going to max out during their junior seasons in most skills, if not all anyway

7/12/2015 5:12 PM (edited)
This past season IRL college basketball, there were more than a handful of teams that had at least 8 or 9 seniors on their team.  Sure some of those teams had 13 or 14 players on their roster, but the point being, there is no reason we should decrease it to a number under 6.
7/12/2015 5:10 PM
back in the early days of the 12 man classes there wasn't a cap limit of only cash for 6 openings.  You would get cash for 12 openings.
Plus back in even earlier days there was a full 100% carryover, not the 25% rule in place today.

7/12/2015 8:39 PM
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the postseason rollover and recruiting cash post I made on page 2.  Also...
I have done the standard 3/3/3/3 format and found it mundane and boring, at least to me.
I'm curious, did you stick to exactly 3/3/3/3 or allow your class sizes to shift around based on circumstance?
The superclass format is different and requires a different mindset and definitely an entirely different strategy.  And to respectfully dispute nachopuzzle, the creativity and strategy needed in this system far surpasses what is needed in a standard equal class format.
Please explain.  How does the creativity and strategy of having two equal classes with twice the budget surpass what is needed in having four equal classes?
The ultimate question is "what is my goal in playing this game". I believe it is to win National Championships.
Do you think you could have won 7 in 285 seasons without superclassing?
7/13/2015 10:02 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
What are your thoughts on superclasses? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.