whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Posted by llamanunts on 8/14/2015 9:55:00 AM (view original):
All this bullshit ignores the fact that this site is included in the "Gambling" category of a lot of filtering systems.  Or some other dumb category.  A lot of those systems are just implemented out-of-the-box without any actual configuration and the rules often don't make sense.
oh. i didn't see your post, my bad. 
8/14/2015 5:22 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/14/2015 8:21:00 AM (view original):
turning away from the assumptions that some may make about the nature of the jobs and responsibilities of others...

isnt this a foolish decision by WIS?

part of the appeal of the game is its ability to involve you often during the day.  You want to maintain player involvement.  You want lots of clicks.  The game, the forums, etc.  You want people to be involved.

To that end, WIS should want to make the experience work really well from smart phones - I think its okay but not great on a smart phone.

To that end, WIS should want to design user interaction to avoid running afoul of workplace security rules

shouldnt WIS be trying to make its product maximally accessible?

Yes, WIS should want to involve users more and get more clicks. That should be WIS' perspective, and naturally so for business reasons.

I agree, the site is okay but not great from a smart phone. The solution is not to use a smart phone as the primary access point.

From a WIS user perspective, smart phones have good and bad aspects when compared to actual computers. They're great on the go, but don't interact so well with some sites or features. That's especially true when you have to choose a lot of options and menus like you might have to do on here for recruiting or other things.

There are other limitations too. Example - while you can obviously type on a smart phone, for most people it's not nearly as fast as with a real keyboard and you certainly wouldn't want to type a huge document that way unless you had to do so.

So while they're a great resource in general, I would not want to rely on a smart phone as a "go to" method to access this site or anything where I need to "do" something beyond just viewing the site.

I've already said how I feel about workplace use of WIS.
8/14/2015 10:13 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/12/2015 8:08:00 PM (view original):
No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why so many people feel it necessary to play games (any games, not just WIS) while at work. 

I'm an incredibly busy person myself, working far more than a normal work week. I could log on at work because we do not have any such monitoring or blocking software and no one would care - but I don't, because to be honest I have too much work to do.  Evidently not everyone's schedule is so busy, but even if I wasn't so swamped all the time, I still wouldn't play games at work, because  while I enjoy the games and like having fun as much as anyone, my background is that work is time to be productive, not play games. Again, no offense to anyone else.

So please forgive me if I am not overly sympathetic to this situation, but if I had that much free time to play WIS at work, I'd be asking my employer for a raise since I would be so productive as to get my work done and have that much time left over.

haha, you're a grade A sucker.
8/15/2015 12:21 AM
Wondering if these guys saying they don't use work computers for game playing has ever paid a bill or check their balance or used the "company equipment and internet" for something personal other than game playing? Its personal use no matter if its checking bills or playing a game. Also I for one have used my personal equipment on my time at home and not get paid for it. So if I use their equipment on my break I do not feel guilty at all because I take way more phone calls after hours for work and don't get paid.
I wish I worked at a company that had 100% efficiency where they got 100 % work for my hours and I got 100% of my off time to myself.
I really doubt that you do either but if you say you do that's awesome. Glad you work "far more than a normal work week" Most of us do. I also travel over 300 days a year on top of working more than a normal work so your not special a lot of us work more than 40 hrs.
8/15/2015 8:28 AM
I normally gameplan for the afternoon games, taking my morning **** before work, and gameplan (and recruit as necessary) for my 2AM games after I get home from work...smartphone...
8/15/2015 8:55 PM
I don't use a computer for work but I can't say I have never step out to make a personal phone call either. To me when someone comes on here bashing others because they think they are the busiest person in the world and give others crap for "playing game at work" they are full of them self. First no one was talking about doing at work, there are breaks and lunch. And second I will call BS on just about anyone that says they have NEVER done anything personal at work, either phone calls or something. So if you did then I guess your "Screwing you employer by not giving them the full time they paid you for.
Besides I would bet most employer that do have this blocking software is more to protect their servers and Info more than anything.

Oh btw have you ever googled anything at work that wasn't for work?

How dare you use your employers internet and computer for your personal business.
8/15/2015 9:26 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/15/2015 8:55:00 PM (view original):
I normally gameplan for the afternoon games, taking my morning **** before work, and gameplan (and recruit as necessary) for my 2AM games after I get home from work...smartphone...
I have to admit trev, I wouldn't have though you'd fall into the Ayn Randian spectrum on this. I wouldn't threaten to quit playing like the OP did, but if I couldn't access WIS on a computer and had to use a smartphone as my primary device for playing this game then I can almost guarantee that I would slowly quit playing as well. This game is just too detailed, both in gameplanning and recruiting, for me to have fun trying to do while slogging around on a smartphone.
8/16/2015 7:35 AM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 8/15/2015 12:21:00 AM (view original):
No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why so many people feel it necessary to play games (any games, not just WIS) while at work. 

I'm an incredibly busy person myself, working far more than a normal work week. I could log on at work because we do not have any such monitoring or blocking software and no one would care - but I don't, because to be honest I have too much work to do.  Evidently not everyone's schedule is so busy, but even if I wasn't so swamped all the time, I still wouldn't play games at work, because  while I enjoy the games and like having fun as much as anyone, my background is that work is time to be productive, not play games. Again, no offense to anyone else.

So please forgive me if I am not overly sympathetic to this situation, but if I had that much free time to play WIS at work, I'd be asking my employer for a raise since I would be so productive as to get my work done and have that much time left over.

Please explain your comment.
8/16/2015 11:25 AM
Posted by cmac4567 on 8/15/2015 8:28:00 AM (view original):
Wondering if these guys saying they don't use work computers for game playing has ever paid a bill or check their balance or used the "company equipment and internet" for something personal other than game playing? Its personal use no matter if its checking bills or playing a game. Also I for one have used my personal equipment on my time at home and not get paid for it. So if I use their equipment on my break I do not feel guilty at all because I take way more phone calls after hours for work and don't get paid.
I wish I worked at a company that had 100% efficiency where they got 100 % work for my hours and I got 100% of my off time to myself.
I really doubt that you do either but if you say you do that's awesome. Glad you work "far more than a normal work week" Most of us do. I also travel over 300 days a year on top of working more than a normal work so your not special a lot of us work more than 40 hrs.
Paying a bill or checking a balance on a work computer seems at best quite risky. Even if you have an employer who has already said they don't care, you have no way to know if your transaction is secure. Many workplaces monitor what is on their computers, which means someone (and perhaps several someones) can view everything you look at - including your account information, balances, etc. I've never done anything personal on a company computer for that reason among others.

I don't my equipment or work from home unless I'm getting paid for it. While I absolutely give my best efforts while being paid for it, I expect to be paid for my work and don't work unless that happens. My volunteer time is better spent for worthy causes, not for my employer.

I don't believe one wrongful action justifies another, and as such, I would not attempt to justify using company equipment because they have asked me to work and not get paid for it. I would simply tell them I expect to be paid for my work.

I sympathize with those who do not have good work situations such as the one you describe here. Your employer is taking advantage of you because they believe they can - and they're right if you don't say something about it. Of course it's your life and your job so it's up to you.

I give my best effort at my job, and when I"m not working, that is my time - unless I"m getting paid for it.  I would never allow my employer to expect me to work for free.

I get paid for my work which is far more than a normal work week. While perhaps many people on this forum also work many hours, I don't believe most people do so.  It is also worth noting that some who work extra hours may not have to do so if they were more efficient.

I'm not sure why you would reference whether or not I'm special when I never brought that up in the first place - although it is worth pointing out that I clearly have different views on work than many others here.
8/16/2015 11:38 AM
Posted by cmac4567 on 8/15/2015 9:26:00 PM (view original):
I don't use a computer for work but I can't say I have never step out to make a personal phone call either. To me when someone comes on here bashing others because they think they are the busiest person in the world and give others crap for "playing game at work" they are full of them self. First no one was talking about doing at work, there are breaks and lunch. And second I will call BS on just about anyone that says they have NEVER done anything personal at work, either phone calls or something. So if you did then I guess your "Screwing you employer by not giving them the full time they paid you for.
Besides I would bet most employer that do have this blocking software is more to protect their servers and Info more than anything.

Oh btw have you ever googled anything at work that wasn't for work?

How dare you use your employers internet and computer for your personal business.
You are assuming things which aren't true.

No one is bashing anyone. No one said they are the busiest person in the world. No one has said anything that should indicate they are "full of them self".

You can "call BS" on whatever you want, but on this you'll be wrong, as  I have never done anything personal on a work computer.

Phone calls are a separate matter. Most employers understand if you need to take a personal call, particularly in emergency situations. They are especially graceful when you continue to work while you talk on the phone, although this isn't possible in some jobs.

I see no reason to google something at work that isn't for work.

8/16/2015 11:44 AM
you seem like the life of every party shawn
8/16/2015 12:02 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/16/2015 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cmac4567 on 8/15/2015 8:28:00 AM (view original):
Paying a bill or checking a balance on a work computer seems at best quite risky. Even if you have an employer who has already said they don't care, you have no way to know if your transaction is secure. Many workplaces monitor what is on their computers, which means someone (and perhaps several someones) can view everything you look at - including your account information, balances, etc. I've never done anything personal on a company computer for that reason among others.

I don't my equipment or work from home unless I'm getting paid for it. While I absolutely give my best efforts while being paid for it, I expect to be paid for my work and don't work unless that happens. My volunteer time is better spent for worthy causes, not for my employer.

I don't believe one wrongful action justifies another, and as such, I would not attempt to justify using company equipment because they have asked me to work and not get paid for it. I would simply tell them I expect to be paid for my work.

I sympathize with those who do not have good work situations such as the one you describe here. Your employer is taking advantage of you because they believe they can - and they're right if you don't say something about it. Of course it's your life and your job so it's up to you.

I give my best effort at my job, and when I"m not working, that is my time - unless I"m getting paid for it.  I would never allow my employer to expect me to work for free.

I get paid for my work which is far more than a normal work week. While perhaps many people on this forum also work many hours, I don't believe most people do so.  It is also worth noting that some who work extra hours may not have to do so if they were more efficient.

I'm not sure why you would reference whether or not I'm special when I never brought that up in the first place - although it is worth pointing out that I clearly have different views on work than many others here.
There you go again stating that you don't believe many people work many hours. STOP with your bullshit high horse. You have no idea what people do and who they work for. TRUST ME my work is way more important than yours. If you need a ladder to get down from that horse let me know, I can lend you one while I'm at work because I don't do anything. YOU must be some sort of executive, (CEO, Director, COO, CFO) by the way you are talking. 
8/16/2015 12:27 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/16/2015 11:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by nachopuzzle on 8/15/2015 12:21:00 AM (view original):

Please explain your comment.
Just the whole "if I ran out of work to do then I'd find my boss and ask for more work" type of song that you're singing. I pretty much agree with the whole notion of fair compensation and time resource management, but were you draw the line seems almost naïvely idealistic. I don't know where you work or what you do, and it may be different in your case, but if you knew how most companies viewed labor and human capital, then you might not owe them as much as you think that you do. Though, given your comments in general, I'd be willing to bet we probably disagree on several topics.
8/16/2015 12:27 PM
this whole work argument is ridiculous. shawn, i agree with some of what you said, but really, its not particularly relevant and FYI you do come off the wrong way. easy to do on the forums but i don't get why you are devolving the discussion into something detailed about your own job, which is absolutely not relevant in any way.

at work, by law, you get some time off - in most states, thats 30m lunch and 2 15m breaks. a lot of people at my work skip the 15m breaks and have a working lunch at their desk. but if they sometimes want to take their legally mandated break, at their desk, surfing the internet - who the hell is anyone to tell them that's wrong? and FYI - only our salary folks have the OPTION of skipping their lunch. our hourly folks aren't even allowed to skip, they get called to HR if they do, because the company could get in trouble otherwise. of course, i agree if its work time and someone is on HD for an hour, its an issue. but for you to assume that is what people are doing, when they bring up using HD at work, its just very narrow minded of you (and entirely unproductive).
8/16/2015 2:00 PM (edited)
Posted by the0nlyis on 8/16/2015 12:02:00 PM (view original):
you seem like the life of every party shawn
I am when I want to be, yes. That doesn't have anything to do with this, though.
8/16/2015 3:03 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...25 Next ▸
whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.