Recruiting Update - Scouting Topic

Open a new HD world.
9/12/2015 8:54 AM
Posted by vandydave on 9/12/2015 8:54:00 AM (view original):
Open a new HD world.
+1 I need more 2x worlds(if not a 3x world)
9/12/2015 1:28 PM
I love the idea of the changes. It sounds exciting. As long as it is tested well, I think it will make the game more realistic and more fun. I am thrilled to see something being done.
9/12/2015 8:33 PM
As long as it does not require a massively longer time investment.

9/12/2015 9:47 PM
I believe the biggest issue is with job changing. Keep in mind that I ABSOLUTELY love the scouting/season long idea and want to see it work! I also do not jump jobs often (3 teams in 35+ seasons, 1 team per division) 

My questions:

1) When is the recruiting period going to be?

2) if it is at the end of the season, following by job changes, then why would I spend time recruiting if I am planning on going to a new job? I could leave a team in horrible disarray. Also, what if I go to a different job that is being recruited for by a SimAI? Is that recruiting going to be horrendous now?

Is there a way that we can make the job changes period more fluid with recruiting? Can we do job changes at the same time as recruiting? Also, if we stay in the same division/region can we keep the scouting information we've already gathered? Say if I coach at Tulane than I jump to LSU - can I keep my scouting info since we're in the same geographical location? So I don't have to begin anew but I have the "knowledge" of watching the players I've seen as coach of Tulane?

I'm just spitballing ideas here, hopefully the thoughts can help find a solution to make this a reality. 
9/12/2015 9:53 PM

Prestige effecting how many people show up at your 'School camp"?

Perhaps have "Conference camps" in addition to the regular 'Regional camps'?

Would this possibly meant that if, say, you were on the border with Canada some Canadian players might show up at your camp and garner scouting information?  How woudl getting information on international players be handled?  Do they show up at random camps?

9/12/2015 10:29 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 9/11/2015 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by seble on 9/11/2015 12:34:00 PM (view original):
The only way to not delay getting your recruits until season 2 is to move the entire recruiting process to the beginning of the season.  To do that while implementing these changes would probably necessitate doubling or tripling the current length of recruiting.  So that's not going to happen.  The only way to legitimately expand recruiting is to move it to the end of the season. 

if you implemented an early/late signing period (like I mentioned in regards to the EE problem), you could still do a little late recruiting at a new school when you took over a job, provided the previous coach hadn't already filled up all the spots in the early signing period. 

Like I said earlier, this is a half-baked idea, so it might be too problematic to implement, but I actually think it would help address both the EE and the new coach/new school problem. Essentially, your first recruiting class becomes a half-class, which (1) allows you some control over your first roster, (2) doesn't front-load things for clueless new coaches quite as much as it does on the current system, and (3) mimics real life

I'm intrigued by some of these proposed changes to make the scouting / recruiting a little more similar to RL. I realize this would be a big change to the strategy of recruiting / scouting, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. I wanted to expand on tarvolon's half baked idea with my own half baked ideas. It seems like some of the reluctance from current coaches is how to deal with early entries / transfers & for new coaches to be able to recruit their own players in season #1. It is a valid point that the 1st recruiting season for 1st time coaches is often a waste. The first guy I recruited in this game several years ago had great reb with absolutely no ath/def. I would probably never recruit him today.... Anyways, I have no idea how difficult an early / late signing period would be to implement into the code of the game  

Early Scouting / Recruiting / Signing period:
Scouting occurs throughout non-conf & conf portion of the schedule. Allows each coach to choose when/where/how much time to spend scouting at various times during the season.
Recruiting occurs during the CT and the NT. Gives everyone something to do whether their team is playing deep into the NT/PIT or doesn't make the post-season.
* Recruits are added to the roster at the end of the NT.
* Would mimic RL a little more closely by adding a "year-round" flavor to scouting.

Late Scouting / Recruiting / Signing period (occurs during the current jobs period and the current recruiting period):
* Would be for schools who didn't fill all scholarships during the 1st period, for D1 coaches with early entries, for D1-D3 schools with transfers, and for new coaches 
* Maybe you get less money for scouting than you did in the first period per prospect...
* Thoughts: maybe you generate 200-500 new recruits who *blew up* their senior year and became viable D1-D3 prospects. Maybe you add 25-50 new international recruits who become visible through scouting, etc. Any recruits who didn't sign in early period remain available as well...
* allows schools a second chance if they missed on first targets, lets new coaches add a few recruits to their roster to start the roster turnover quicker, allows D1 schools a chance to restock if they lost some players to the draft as EEs.

Scouting starts during the job application period and continues for 2-3 days while jobs are open and new coaches sign up. Recruiting takes place at the same time as currently.

I am sure there are some issues with this, but maybe someone smarter than me can point them out!

9/13/2015 2:37 PM
All good ideas gg
9/13/2015 3:12 PM
Posted by kbc167 on 9/13/2015 3:12:00 PM (view original):
All good ideas gg
+1   very nice ideas ggallagh!!
9/13/2015 3:19 PM
I like ggallagh's ideas. It would seem to solve a lot of the concerns.
9/13/2015 5:28 PM
+another1 for ggallagh's post. All of that very much what I had in mind, but was too lazy to spell out.
9/13/2015 6:01 PM
+1 for ggallagh's post. I think that would be excellent and alleviate concerns.

Would be so much fun to see this recruiting update happen!
9/13/2015 9:53 PM
+1 ggallagh
9/14/2015 1:45 AM
Posted by salag on 9/13/2015 9:53:00 PM (view original):
+1 for ggallagh's post. I think that would be excellent and alleviate concerns.

Would be so much fun to see this recruiting update happen!
Another +1
9/14/2015 8:46 AM
Started a new topic to discuss a proposed change to how recruiting would fit into the schedule (www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx).  Please take a look and give me some feedback there.  Now, let's try to focus on scouting in this topic.  Thanks.
9/14/2015 9:05 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...14 Next ▸
Recruiting Update - Scouting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.