Recruiting Update - Schedule Proposal 2 Topic

mullycj don't know if you know but there is a proposed 2nd recruiting after NT to address the EE. While sable said there are details to be worked out it is being addressed
9/17/2015 12:48 PM
I still lean towards eliminating the EE altogether. Sure an elite school might get to keep a guy an extra year or two but it's one less elite player they have to replace who instead goes somewhere else.

In the seasons when I was at a B/B+ and still wasn't quite capable of competing with A/A+ Wisconsin next door it was always frustrating to look at their roster and see only two graduating seniors. For a brief moment I would think I might be able to nab one of the three or four local "difference" maker recruits that would help me climb the ladder and compete better. But then EEs would be announced, the draft would come and suddenly Wisconsin would be recruiting four or five players. Their recruiting budget would shoot up by 30k or 45k and I'd again be digging through the scrap pile looking for someone who might develop and produce for me two seasons down the road. Maybe I'm missing something but if the elite schools all had a combined 20 or 30 less openings to fill every season it seems more of those guys would start falling down to the A-/B+ programs and increase competition.

It would also seem to eliminate the current proposed EE quandary in a much more simplified fashion.
9/17/2015 1:12 PM
How does this affect drop/pull downs? Does it eliminate that aspect? 
9/17/2015 2:35 PM
Posted by eflhoca on 9/17/2015 2:35:00 PM (view original):
Seble said in the developer chat that there will no longer be any pulldowns.  Dropdowns may remain...
9/17/2015 4:27 PM
Posted by pepwaves on 9/17/2015 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by eflhoca on 9/17/2015 2:35:00 PM (view original):
Seble said in the developer chat that there will no longer be any pulldowns.  Dropdowns may remain...
We need pulldowns.
9/17/2015 7:05 PM
also from the chat... why in hell would you consider adding a conference strength factor to recruiting, while taking away post season bonus? post season bonus = conference strength factor. come on. i did enjoy the random comments about how much theonly posts though. no worries theonly. i post a lot too.
9/17/2015 10:50 PM
Posted by cmac4567 on 9/17/2015 12:48:00 PM (view original):
mullycj don't know if you know but there is a proposed 2nd recruiting after NT to address the EE. While sable said there are details to be worked out it is being addressed
this doesnt even remotely address the EE problem. there are 2 reasonable answers, as far as i can think. both involve the same basic concept - you can't have any recruiting until EEs declare. its too big a problem. 
1) do not move recruiting in season - spice up scheduling, move it into the season, give people something to do in that regard. leave recruiting as it.
2) move EEs up, to before the 1st recruiting period - i mean the decision part - not the leaving part (and obviously, tell the coaches about it). if you are a realism junkie, then roll 2 dice, one before the 1st period, 1 when it happens now. weight the first, maybe 2:1, 3:1, and tell the coaches the result. real coaches have a pretty good idea, that late in the season, what will happen with their players. there are some surprises (to us), so i can see not rolling the dice completely before the 1st recruiting period. but, the coaches mostly know what is going on, so this would mirror real life. and while it would still screw the HD coaches with EEs in a significant way, when that 2nd dice goes differently, and causes a guy to flip his going/staying decision, it would at least happen less often. you do need to give some bonus money up front though, that would be too screwed up to have 1 opening and 3 EEs and only get 25% of the money up front.
9/17/2015 10:56 PM (edited)
also, if there are going to be 2 recruiting periods - then there should be a difference in the set of players between periods 1 and 2. that makes things interesting. i just don't personally think 2 periods can work... but if you are going to screw new coaches (to the game and to a school) and EE coaches into having to cram it in period 2, at least give them something to work with! and also to make things interesting in general, but especially for those folks.
9/17/2015 11:01 PM
What is keeping a coach from effing up the 1st stage of recruiting, blowing their budget, then hopping off to another team leaving the mess to their replacement?
9/18/2015 9:02 AM
9/18/2015 9:54 AM
I don't even know where to post things anymore since there are so many threads on the recruiting overhaul.  I think I finally caught up on reading everything and 2 big questions jumped out:

1) Seble said “Scouting actions won’t count at all toward recruiting a player like they do now.  It’s purely to gather information and determine your targets.”  But he also said players won’t accept HVs or CVs until they’ve garnered significant interest from your school-what tools are we using to get recruits interested in us?  Have these been mentioned?  Or are we bombarding them with letters and phone calls?

2) With a camp, we are going to uncover letter grades for players instead of starting ratings.  Certain categories can be linear between D1 and D3; an elite shooter is an elite shooter.  But I consider a mediocre D1 athletic guard to have ATH/SP ratings of, say, 70-75, or a C letter grade.  If a D3 guard gets a C letter grade in ATH/SP, are his starting ratings also 70-75 or are they scaled back for D3, so maybe 45-50?

3) I still haven't seen distance discussed regarding the camps, only cost per player that comes to the camp.  So if I have a school in NY is it the same cost to hold a camp for 50 NY'ers as it would be for 50 kids from TX?  And since we all get pre-determined #s of CVs and HVs, does that mean we can send them to a kid 50 miles away or a kid 3,000 miles away that's in AK?

I realize these would have been better questions for the dev chat but I was far from caught up yesterday.

9/18/2015 11:11 AM
we have a lot of info now, there are a lot of supporters and detractors. there was one poll, but it was a little strange, with 3 answers that leave it somewhat unclear who supports and who is against. also, we've learned a TON about seble's intentions over teh last week. now that he says he mostly has enough to go on, and has reduced his presence on the forums, we have to assume we have a good idea where he's headed. time for another poll - 3 questions - very simple. have at it:

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=30&TopicID=488530&page=1#l_10791123

9/18/2015 11:47 AM
While I know several people want to see changes to HD, and I certainly think there can be a few tweaks to make it better, I think they should ONLY be tweaks.

I do NOT want to see this game get a major overhaul. By and large, I LOVE it the way it is.

If there are to be changes, perhaps make them happen in only some worlds or create new worlds for the new game. Do not force everyone who likes this game the way it is to change.

I have played for years and have many teams. If there are major changes to this current game and I can no longer play it at al, I'm not sure what I will do at this point except be sad and unhappy that I've lost the game I loved.'

I may give the new game a shot, but I'll still miss this one if I can no longer play it. If the new one isn't as fun (and it likely won't be since this game is awesome the way it is in my opinion) then I may very well stop playing.
9/19/2015 5:50 PM
I like this schedule and please consider me for testing the beta.  I would love to see how it would affect a mid level bcs school
9/25/2015 11:07 AM
Posted by bistiza on 9/19/2015 5:50:00 PM (view original):
While I know several people want to see changes to HD, and I certainly think there can be a few tweaks to make it better, I think they should ONLY be tweaks.

I do NOT want to see this game get a major overhaul. By and large, I LOVE it the way it is.

If there are to be changes, perhaps make them happen in only some worlds or create new worlds for the new game. Do not force everyone who likes this game the way it is to change.

I have played for years and have many teams. If there are major changes to this current game and I can no longer play it at al, I'm not sure what I will do at this point except be sad and unhappy that I've lost the game I loved.'

I may give the new game a shot, but I'll still miss this one if I can no longer play it. If the new one isn't as fun (and it likely won't be since this game is awesome the way it is in my opinion) then I may very well stop playing.
I understand bistiza but it has been YEARS since the last major update with protential and all worlds were affected.  We need something fresh and exciting and this will help HD so much.  This needed to happen 5 years ago.  Looking forward to this.
9/25/2015 11:11 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...10 Next ▸
Recruiting Update - Schedule Proposal 2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.