Proposed Updated Baseline for todays conferences Topic

Posted by gillispie1 on 9/28/2015 9:24:00 PM (view original):
interesting. i think getting the A+s right is the most important, the only big objection i have to yours (iwanturmind) is that illinois is an a+, which i don't buy, over louisville, who has 3 championships, top 5-6 all time sweet 16s, etc... and are a top tier program in the last decade or so. i can see leaving indiana below even with 5 titles because kids definitely value recent seasons more than ones 30, 50, etc years back. but louisville is a+ both historically and in the last decade so i think they should be automatic.

i agree w/ the idea of floating baseline, it just makes sense, it seems silly the way WIS does it - they ONLY valued the last 10 seasons in their establishment of prestige, but then, you have 100 seasons in a world, worth nothing? seems crazy. to me, i'd make a baseline that is comprehensive, historical weighing maybe half and recent as half. then, you consider that the historical piece for baseline going forward. let schools build up to 50% of baseline being floating, for 20 seasons - with a proportional adjustment for the beginning (and maybe just ruling out the first 20 entirely until the world is full). i don't think we want to get into opposite world where the early conferences that get full become the new BCS schools, so i don't like the idea of an entirely floating prestige, but i think 50% is a good compromise, that would let any single program be competitive, but wouldn't totally abandon reality. new coaches would feel weird walking in if there was no semblance of reality in baseline prestiges.
Yea I agree Louisville should be a A+ and Illinois should be lower maybe a B+ but Illinois was good then that coach moved to Kansas.  Also with floating prestige I think WIS said before it would be too much work and they needed a baseline so prestige works.  If you put a variable into it, things may get messed up so I understand from a Programing prospective keeping it steady. I just think it should be changed to reflect current events. 
9/29/2015 8:55 AM
Well I just jumped for no reason from a low d1 to what I thought was a mid major school
9/29/2015 9:01 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 9/28/2015 5:40:00 PM (view original):
I think a few programs in this update still are right like Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Boston College, UCLA, Illinois all massively overranked.

Like trail said, I think the baseline should also be floating like current prestige, just over a much longer time say 20 seasons so that you can slowly increase baseline prestige as well, without making it so that New Mexico St is a perrenial NC contender after 4 seasons, but say w/e conf they are in gets filled with top coaches and they start bringing in cash and recruiting well for a long period of time maybe New Mexico st can become a nt contender and increase their baseline, it will be hard, just not impossible like it is now,
UCLA will always be a A+ prestige.  Their history deserves that and it's still one of the top jobs in Basketball.  BB Players still look highly at that school and get top talent.  A new coach will change that and old players are complaining about lack of success.  New Mexico St is a B and has success recently in tournamnet.  The PIT is still reguarded well in this day and age.  Illnois should move to B+ Sheif had that school doing very well before he moved.  That is another situation where they need a real coach.  Remember the ACC is still the top conference in Bball and GT WF & BC will benifit from the ACC in real life.  I would keep their prestiges for now if it was up to me.  Just my thoughts.
9/29/2015 9:02 AM
I also changed my original post.  Louisville is A+, Illinois is B+, Whic St is a B
9/29/2015 9:08 AM
In the new recruiting update should the baseline be changed to reflect the proposed prestige that I created.
Should American Athletic be added to the Conferences as a Major Conference
Maybe if we show seble but support he will change the baseline in game and add the new conference in Div 1
Votes: 28
(Last vote received: 10/7/2015 8:46 AM)
9/29/2015 9:09 AM
Posted by iwanturmind2 on 9/29/2015 9:02:00 AM (view original):
I think a few programs in this update still are right like Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Boston College, UCLA, Illinois all massively overranked.

Like trail said, I think the baseline should also be floating like current prestige, just over a much longer time say 20 seasons so that you can slowly increase baseline prestige as well, without making it so that New Mexico St is a perrenial NC contender after 4 seasons, but say w/e conf they are in gets filled with top coaches and they start bringing in cash and recruiting well for a long period of time maybe New Mexico st can become a nt contender and increase their baseline, it will be hard, just not impossible like it is now,
UCLA will always be a A+ prestige.  Their history deserves that and it's still one of the top jobs in Basketball.  BB Players still look highly at that school and get top talent.  A new coach will change that and old players are complaining about lack of success.  New Mexico St is a B and has success recently in tournamnet.  The PIT is still reguarded well in this day and age.  Illnois should move to B+ Sheif had that school doing very well before he moved.  That is another situation where they need a real coach.  Remember the ACC is still the top conference in Bball and GT WF & BC will benifit from the ACC in real life.  I would keep their prestiges for now if it was up to me.  Just my thoughts.
ACC is the top conference based on what? They have elite teams at the top, but the bottom of that conference has been a joke for quite a while. The last time ACC finished #1 in the Pomeroy ratings was 2007. Meanwhile Big Ten has been #1 four out of the last five years.
9/29/2015 9:11 AM
It depends on who you speak to.  ESPN will put the ACC as the top conference and they do very well in the NT.  The Big also does well but I place the ACC over them from Top to bottom just slightly. 
9/29/2015 9:19 AM
The debate of best conference will go on forever since there's so many ways to measure it and we'll never agree. But I suppose that's part of the fun about sports, right?

Here's a somewhat recent article from Kenpom that discusses the issue and ways to look at it.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/determining_the_best_conference
9/29/2015 9:23 AM
Just so you know, I believe that seble has said that conference realignment changes are very hard based on how the game is coded.  Less likely to do those.

Baseline prestige changes should be fairly easy.  However, I hardly think this is the biggest problem with the game.  The heavy recruiting advantage for top Prestige schools is a much bigger issue.

9/29/2015 10:08 AM
Posted by weirdrash on 9/29/2015 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Just so you know, I believe that seble has said that conference realignment changes are very hard based on how the game is coded.  Less likely to do those.

Baseline prestige changes should be fairly easy.  However, I hardly think this is the biggest problem with the game.  The heavy recruiting advantage for top Prestige schools is a much bigger issue.

I agree with you on all counts, the prestige change should be easier and it would give more top schools.  I think the conference proposal is to bring more schools into the Major Conference level and put teams in their actual conferences.  It's a topic of discussion but we as clients have a say also if we want this change.  WIS should try to help our case.
9/29/2015 11:00 AM
Posted by weirdrash on 9/29/2015 10:08:00 AM (view original):

Agreed! Nine 5star recruits for one team that half sit the bench for 3 years seems over the top compared to real life
9/29/2015 11:18 AM
5 STARS should basiclly be coded with requiring freshmen starts and 20+ minutes. 4 STARS should basiclly require soph starts and 10+ minutes their freshmen yr and if they dont get it then they transfer.  With these 2 things it would very much dictate top tier recruiting rather quickly and allow some of those marginal 4/5* players to atleast be recruitable by the B/B+/A- schools
9/29/2015 12:15 PM
Posted by mrg1037 on 9/29/2015 9:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by iwanturmind2 on 9/29/2015 9:02:00 AM (view original):

ACC is the top conference based on what? They have elite teams at the top, but the bottom of that conference has been a joke for quite a while. The last time ACC finished #1 in the Pomeroy ratings was 2007. Meanwhile Big Ten has been #1 four out of the last five years.
Of course the KenPom ratings favor the Big 10.  His ratings are all about efficiency, not how good a team is.  He always has Wisconsin way too high
9/29/2015 2:34 PM
if they ever did the American, no way they have A+ teams and D+ teams. the worst teams would be at least C+, I'd think, if only for competitive play in the game. no one would ever take a D+ East Carolina team playing in the same conference with A+ teams.
9/29/2015 2:40 PM
ACC is top heavy big 10 got the better depth pretty much every season.

9/29/2015 3:47 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Proposed Updated Baseline for todays conferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.