Forget Recruiting PLEASE work on timeouts!!! Topic

In all seriousness, while people are giving you a lot of **** for this post (me included) I think it'd be just to hard to code momentum into the game engine. Pretty much the only use for timeouts is to give players rest and I'm not even sure that's confirmed
11/7/2015 1:55 PM
It should work on set play coming out of the time out and team to put in the game. Say you have 10 secs, who is shooting against man to man, who is shooting against zone... etc.

And who is on the court! It's not all about defense, it's about scoring.
11/7/2015 2:00 PM
Posted by zorzii on 11/7/2015 2:00:00 PM (view original):
It should work on set play coming out of the time out and team to put in the game. Say you have 10 secs, who is shooting against man to man, who is shooting against zone... etc.

And who is on the court! It's not all about defense, it's about scoring.
Agreed! I'm sick of my center who has a 5 PER jacking up 3's at the end of games. I'd like a setting to select who I want taking those desperation shots.
11/7/2015 2:29 PM
Posted by timjmiller on 11/7/2015 1:55:00 PM (view original):
In all seriousness, while people are giving you a lot of **** for this post (me included) I think it'd be just to hard to code momentum into the game engine. Pretty much the only use for timeouts is to give players rest and I'm not even sure that's confirmed
Here's the response I got from CS when I sent a ticket asking why my team called a timeout with 1 second left and leading by 9 ... 

1/16/2014 8:00 PM Customer Support
Timeouts are taken for two reasons: 1) You have multiple players on the court who are very fatigued or 2) You have one or more starters on the bench ready to come back into the game.

It looks like the timeout was taken to get get your starters back into the game.
11/7/2015 4:46 PM
Posted by timjmiller on 11/7/2015 1:55:00 PM (view original):
I haven't coded since college. But the coding for momentum would not be hard at all.

The game has say 1000 options in the RNG labeled 000-999. The RNG throws a number. It produces an outcome. If the outcome is a triple digit (000,111, etc) momentum is in effect and the RNG uses a different loop favoring the team that has momentum until momentum is broken (consecutive missed shots, consecutive made shots by the opponent, a turnover, shooting foul against or a timeout).

Momentum, of course is stronger for the home team, so maybe momentum boosts the home team 5% or the visiting team 3%. And of course since it would be percentage based better teams would have stronger momentum.

The timeout coding (I AGREE THIS WOULD BE MORE DIFFICULT) would be similar to leave in longer/take out sooner foul coding. But the game could have a standard set of protocols for calling a timeout then the coach in his game plan could choose more frequent or less frequent. Then in end game menu he could choose save x timeouts for final x minutes.

In the last second play, it still runs the play the generator picks likely offense or likely defense. If it's offense then the shot is taken by the best player. If it's defense, the shot is taken as normal.

None of this would require player input.
11/7/2015 6:10 PM
◂ Prev 12
Forget Recruiting PLEASE work on timeouts!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.