Turning around a program Topic

Once you get to D1, you should be able to waive every player that is not D1 caliber. And there should be a pool of players, a supplemental draft of some sort, that helps you, at least, get your program on the right track. Right now, it's four years and counting since you cannot really compete until you are higher prestige...

Something needs to be done. It gets depressing getting to D1 knowing the program you are getting was not human owned before.
11/7/2015 4:53 PM
Generally when I take over a D1 program I will cut a number of players and go into recruiting with 6-8 openings. I have recruited for 6 spots with 1 open scholarship before and it can work out well. 
11/7/2015 4:57 PM
Zorzi, plenty of people can take over a bad team over and have it NT quality in 4 years.......it ain't the game, playa'.....if you need help send me a smail.
11/7/2015 5:54 PM
I'm exclusively talking D1 Trenton. The difference between DII, DIII and DI is that, yeah, you will get to the NT in four years, maybe three, I've experienced it, but you need to move up... so you will need four more years once you moved, then you get knocked out in the first round. It's not that easy.

Anyways, just saying logically, a coach would not keep bad players, would work on transfers, get enough players that are talented to sign etc.
11/7/2015 6:11 PM
just make sure to look for schools with 4+ openings if not 5/6 so you are bringing in a bunch of your own guys right away.
11/7/2015 6:22 PM
I do. They still need to develop... You know the drill... How long before you compete?
11/7/2015 6:26 PM
Posted by zorzii on 11/7/2015 6:11:00 PM (view original):
I'm exclusively talking D1 Trenton. The difference between DII, DIII and DI is that, yeah, you will get to the NT in four years, maybe three, I've experienced it, but you need to move up... so you will need four more years once you moved, then you get knocked out in the first round. It's not that easy.

Anyways, just saying logically, a coach would not keep bad players, would work on transfers, get enough players that are talented to sign etc.
Getting past the S16 in D1 is just hard, regardless of the situation......and you can do everything you want by just cutting players.......there aren't any in game systems to help youdo what you want but I don't think they are that necessary
11/7/2015 6:27 PM
Posted by gvsujulius on 11/7/2015 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Generally when I take over a D1 program I will cut a number of players and go into recruiting with 6-8 openings. I have recruited for 6 spots with 1 open scholarship before and it can work out well. 
I don't cut that many, but I definitely cut players that are not good, and I have done the same thing - gotten a lot of high potential players with one or two scholarships before I cut.
11/7/2015 11:57 PM
the other important thing in a rebuild IMO is scheduling. when i take a new team, i schedule nothing but those half decent sims in my non-conf and try to get that home court up to an A+. this is even more important when you're in a good conference where you're bound to take some losses. i think this really helps grow your program and help you get upsets. never schedule teams you have virtually 0% chance to beat.
11/8/2015 8:14 AM
Going of hippo as he makes a great point, about scheduling teams during rebuilds, there is no point scheduling any tough teams at all during rebuilds, honestly you should schedule teams that have 8+ seniors that are going to graduate so they have a ton of frshmen and you get a win.  You're not going anywhere so just try to get as many wins during the rebuild(or superclass fr/so), you don't need to schedule hard during down seasons for boosting you're self esteem and make fun of those with weak sos and a good w-l record because that person actually performed better and will go to the NT while you won't since you don't qualify w% wise.

Scheduling has to be a big part for a lot of people a every division.

I'm not sure 100% of people know that rpi/sos is basically all opponent win% and I believe sos includes opponent opponent win%.

That being said you can have a super good rpi/sos facing nothing but sims in non conf if the sims are all 6-4/7-3 or better that puts at least in the mid .65's if not higher.

SO many people find this sims with 10 juniors and schedule them, but they don't realize that every other school did too and now that sim is playing 10 of the best teams in the nation and won't touch .500.  It's much better to find a team that might be worse, but has a schedule where they go 8-2, as that helps you better than the tougher sim or human that went 5-5.

You don't need to schedule 10 humans and have a top 20 sos year in and out especially when you start making the NT 1 every 4 seasons because for 2 of them you don't have the w% to make the NT, when if you relax and play 5 humans or even 2/3 you would easily make the NT most seasons.

A lot of "inexperienced" coaches think you have to play humans to have a tough sos, when you really don't.

And honestly it's easier to get into the NT 23-3 with a 200+ sos than 14-12 and a top 20 sos.

Now when you do have those elite teams who can handle 10 really tough humans, go for it.  I'd still always make sure you're not scheduling any games where you wouldn't be the favorite or at least 45% chance of winning since scheduling a loss is stupid.

I would say I'm a very good at scheduling at D3/D2 if not pretty damn amazing most years.  So I figured I'd point that out, since I think it's an overlooked aspect of the game that helps/hurts a ton of people.(I sucked at scheduling my first few seasons and had like 4 PI bids where I should've been in the NT having scheduled better).

11/8/2015 9:18 AM (edited)
I am pretty bad at scheduling and will have to look at it closely. I accept everything teams throw at me. So big six teams send games, I say yes.
11/8/2015 10:20 AM
Personally I think scheduling any Big 6 outside a exhibition game is 100% pointless.

Any big 6 you can beat is going to have a bad w-l record and hurt your rpi/sos

Any big 6 that is going to have a good w-l record is going to beat you 99.9% of the time.
11/8/2015 11:01 AM
He is correct. D1 is broke unless you are an elite school in an elite conference. Trying to make my alma mater, UTSA, an contender was nothing but a money pit. 
11/8/2015 11:26 AM
Posted by damonh1992_ on 11/8/2015 11:26:00 AM (view original):
He is correct. D1 is broke unless you are an elite school in an elite conference. Trying to make my alma mater, UTSA, an contender was nothing but a money pit. 
I don't think DI is "broke", I think that it's like that by design
11/8/2015 12:03 PM
D1 is not broken in terms of merely getting your low/mid-major team to the NT. i am FAR from a great coach, and i've been able to take all 4 of the low/mid-major D1 teams I've coached to the NT in 3-4 seasons. If I can do it, anyone can, especially someone as involved in the game as zorzii! IMO the recipe for getting to the NT in low/mid D1:

- jettison the bad underclassmen ASAP (let your rising SRs stay on so you get $$ for them next season)
- schedule winnable games (but avoid the absolutely worst sims) and get your prestige and home court up
- recruit reasonably (don't aim too high, think potential and think local)
- read the forum and use the coaches corner if you have some great coaches in your conference. great source of tips/advice!
11/8/2015 12:59 PM
12 Next ▸
Turning around a program Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.