Hurry up new recruiting process Topic

Posted by cbriese on 1/17/2016 7:37:00 PM (view original):
Getting to coach at a dominating D1 program is a challenge. It's meant to be a challenge, and it is so much more rewarding after you endure it. I know one coach who spent seven seasons trying to figure out DIII, and then five years putting together a consistent DII program. After 12 seasons he finally gets an Ivy league school, and spends another 15 seasons there, until turning a three-season NT run into a chance to coach a C+ Big East team that had made one NT appearance in the previous 10 seasons. He won his first NC after 18 seasons in the Big East, and has won two more in the subsequent 26 seasons.

That's 12 seasons to make D1, 15 seasons at low-level D1 to make a Big 6 school, and 18 more seasons before he finally win the NC. 45 seasons spanning nearly six real-life years. That's perseverance, and that kind of effort is what it takes and should take to win an NC in D1. Nothing is handed to you on a silver platter. You need to earn it.

I agreed with you until saying that it should take 6 years, if you prove yourself worthy of coaching D1 you shouldn't have to wait 6 years to ******* get there.  It definitely shouldn't be handed on a silver platter, but there is no point making people wait a long time just because some people had.

You probably say things like "back in my day, I had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways!"

You should earn it but shouldn't take 6 ******* years, that's why no one wants to play this game when we have people like you saying we need to spend 6 full years to get to Big 6 D1.

lol, I don't even know what else to say about what you just said, it's crazy.
1/17/2016 8:36 PM
He's not saying it took 6 years to get to high level D1, he's saying it took 6 years to win a NC.....it took 27 seasons to get to high D1 or 2.5 years.....
1/17/2016 8:56 PM
And get off my lawn!
1/17/2016 9:40 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 1/17/2016 8:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/17/2016 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 1/17/2016 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/17/2016 7:08:00 AM (view original):
the advantage of top schools in d1 is pretty clearly out of whack right now. when i started d1, BCS schools had an advantage, but it wasn't like it is today, people could compete in the NT without being an A prestige BCS school. heck, i won my first title as a rookie recruiter with a C+ prestige out at colorado. i didn't feel like i had a big disadvantage compared to other coaches - a small one, sure, but nothing i couldn't compensate for with coaching.

however, people weren't really that happy with d1 back then, either. nobody (generally speaking) complained about the advantage of one school over the other. but tons of people complained that there was too much talent, that there were 50 teams almost full of players who had 90s in all their cores. oldresorter coined the game "coin flip dynasty", which i thought was a bit unfair, nobody really was into coaching those days, which to me, was the real problem. but he had a valid point, there were so many players with 90s in their cores... so many... it was more than a bit ridiculous.

i think it makes a lot of sense how we got where we are now. i didn't see it coming, not sure many people did, but most of us wanted the talent level across teams to be more varied. when you cut back on talent, from a situation where so many teams are "haves", you are going to move towards a situation like today where you have so many more "have-nots". did seble go too far? almost certainly. is there a happy medium that would solve most problems? maybe, or maybe structural changes are needed.

there's really two points i'm trying to make here... first, advocating for massive structural changes, its going to come with unforseen effects, like the last overhaul did. just trying to nuke away all that makes d1 d1, turning it into d2/d3, i just don't think that's a good idea. and secondly, i think people try to make this into a battle between the haves and the have-nots. i don't agree with that, that is wrong, IMO. its just that the haves have been in d1 for a long time, they loved d1 for various reasons, and they don't want to see what they loved about d1 stripped away. almost everyone agrees d1 balance is out of whack. that doesn't mean we will all agree on the solutions, and when we don't, that certainly doesn't mean the other folks with different opinions have those opinions for purely selfish reasons. that garbage line of thinking needs to go.
Dude, seriously?  I'm sure that most people here appreciate your advice, input, and general outlook on the state of the game, but can you ever make a post that doesn't go into your resume and how you won as a rookie recruiter at Colorado or how you were the first one that thought game planning was important, or how badass the GLV was back in the day when you set up all the recruiting rules for the conference?

We get it Jeff, you're heads and tails above everyone else who ever played and you took a team full of trash at Colorado, when you were basically a noob, and led them to the title.  Hey man, bully to you!  You've already stated that this game is really nothing more than a complex math problem to you and anyone reading some of your old posts would be able to tell very quickly that you knew very little about basketball when you started playing this game.  So you spent hour upon hour tearing the engine apart figuring out how it worked, down to the most minute detail that you could find.  That's wonderful and I think it's great that someone had such an OCD in their desire to win.  It's a little creepy that someone would actually care THAT much about winning a GAME, but whatever makes you tick I guess.  But goodness gracious, exactly how many times will we have to read about you winning as a relative rookie and how you figured out the game faster than anyone else?  I mean, it's already closing in on triple digits now, it's the magic number or will it continue until it becomes mind numbing.  Damn, we get it man, you're on your own level of HD's Mount Rushmore. 

I feel better now.

Oh, and have a nice day.

i was telling a story, about how things were, about the changes we wanted, and about how poorly that turned out for us. it was not about me. in a dozen posts in this thread, i mentioned something from my own resume once. you clearly have a complex emy, some sort of unnatural obsession with me. its weird man... should i look out my windows to see if you are staring at me from a parked car up the street, with a pair of binoculars? good grief. go be obsessed about someone else. despite what you think, i don't get off on your ceaseless attention.

edit: have a nice day yourself.
Sure, I must have some sort of complex and must obviously be stalking you because I just quoted one of your posts for the first time in what, damn near a year?  Methinks you seriously overestimate your importance in my life.  I'll give you a hint though, it's just slightly less than jack ****.  You bring up some part of your coaching past in damn near every thread you post in.  We get it Jeff, you can turn chicken **** into chicken salad.  Great, you probably walk on water and then turn that water to wine too.

Once in a year genius.  If you think that's "ceaseless attention", then you really ARE the most arrogant, narcissistic person to ever visit these forums, Etta included.  Obsessed about a self-important little prig like you?  Don't flatter yourself sweetheart.  Tired of hearing how you've mastered every aspect of the game?  Abso-*******-lutely. 

Took that bait pretty quickly though, didn't ya?

always good for a laugh, emy. 
1/17/2016 9:48 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 1/17/2016 5:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by willowcards2 on 1/17/2016 10:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by duke137 on 1/17/2016 8:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by possumfiend on 1/16/2016 10:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cbriese on 1/16/2016 8:28:00 PM (view original):
"Hey, Johnny, this is Coach Hamilton of Florida State. I realize that you've already told the good folks at UAB that you'll play for their program, but I'd like to offer you a full-ride scholarship to Florida State. You'll get to play all the ACC teams every year, and your family and friends will be able to watch you on ESPN many, many times each season. We really need you when we go up against Duke and North Carolina. I completely understand, however, if you want to honor your commitment to the Blazer staff - after all, they get the make trips to schools like Western Kentucky every season. I am hoping you will consider becoming a Seminole, and maybe one day adding your name to a list of the 30 Florida State players, like Dave Cowens and Sam Cassell, who have made the jump to the NBA."

"Sorry, coach, but I'd really prefer to go to the University of Alabama, Birmingham", said no one ever.
Not disagreeing with you as to the outcome with regards to a RL recruiting battle between UAB and FSU but the difference between RL and HD (and the flaw in the HD recruiting process) is that in RL UAB would probably have back up options they could recruit after Florida State came calling.  In HD the ONLY chance UAB has at landing a guy who could be a "difference maker" is to commit all of their recruiting resources, particularly when another mid major is also recruiting the guy.  The result is that when he is poached both mid-majors are then stuck with taking a walk on SIM because they don't have other options.  That's absurd and is completely unrealistic and disincentivizes teams from ever trying to sign better players.  If there's no realistic "back up" recruiting process available in HD, I don't think it's unreasonable to impose recruiting penalties for teams that make no discernible recruiting effort until late in the process.

The other place where this is completely unrealistic is that in RL Florida State doesn't wait until the day or week before signings to start recruiting.  They'd be so far behind the eight ball at that point that they would never compete in a Big 6 conference because all of the premiere talent would be long gone.  The fact that this game allows  higher prestige teams to effectively take any player they choose after sitting idly by doing nothing until right before signing leaves the UAB's and other lower prestige schools with very little chance to recover and at a big disadvantage.  

"Hey Johnny, this is Coach Haase of UAB.  I'm interested in recruiting you to play Blazer basketball next season but I just realized that the good folks at Florida State haven't started recruiting for next season yet and tomorrow is signing day.  I realize that neither you or I know if FSU is even going to start recruiting but I just don't want to take any chances in case they do. Would you mind sitting idly by until they start recruiting so I can determine if they might want you to play at their school.  I mean, you know how it is, if I try to recruit you and they jump it at the last minute I'll have no chance to recruit anyone else this season."

That's never happened either.

I think you make a great point possumfiend. The real crux of the problem is'nt that FSU took UAB's recruit, it's that FSU took UAB's recruit at 0 hour, when UAB thought they had fought for, and won, the rights to signing this recruit. If FSU had declared their intentions on day 1, of the recruiting process, then UAB most likely would have backed off, and would'nt have spent most of their budget, and I believe could have accepted at that point that they could'nt compete with FSU, and moved on to another recruit without having too much animosity... So some kind of stern penalty for teams coming in at the last second, and "poaching" another team's recruit might be the remedy for this problem. Maybe they lose 20% of their recruiting budget for next season, if they do what FSU is accused of doing. I believe this would force them to declare for prospects earlier, and would eliminate most of the so called "poaching" by power 6 teams.
Exactly if I had known Free shoe u FSU was interested in the recruit I would on never bother with him. It is the fact that both me and UCF were battling for him for three days then out of no where comes big budget to take him away. Funny how many great coaches are weighing in and màking great points about how the process is broken....the poachers have gone and hidden. Come out FSU in crum world defend your actions
The process could be improved, certainly.  But if you're in D1 then you know how recruiting already works.  Bottom line is that you messed up your tactics for the way recruiting currently works.  Until it is changed, there will always be "poachers".  I've been on both sides and I know that it sucks to lose a recruit in the way that you did but it's part of the game and crying like a little girl with a skinned knee because it happened to you this time isn't going to get "your" recruit back.  You want sympathy, look between **** and syphilis in the dictionary.  Suck it up and find another player or take a walk-on. 

I feel even better now.

Oh, and have a nice day.

Looked at your teams and saw no d1 schools emy...., wonder why kettle
1/17/2016 10:32 PM
Posted by willowcards2 on 1/17/2016 10:32:00 PM (view original):
"Hey, Johnny, this is Coach Hamilton of Florida State. I realize that you've already told the good folks at UAB that you'll play for their program, but I'd like to offer you a full-ride scholarship to Florida State. You'll get to play all the ACC teams every year, and your family and friends will be able to watch you on ESPN many, many times each season. We really need you when we go up against Duke and North Carolina. I completely understand, however, if you want to honor your commitment to the Blazer staff - after all, they get the make trips to schools like Western Kentucky every season. I am hoping you will consider becoming a Seminole, and maybe one day adding your name to a list of the 30 Florida State players, like Dave Cowens and Sam Cassell, who have made the jump to the NBA."

"Sorry, coach, but I'd really prefer to go to the University of Alabama, Birmingham", said no one ever.
Not disagreeing with you as to the outcome with regards to a RL recruiting battle between UAB and FSU but the difference between RL and HD (and the flaw in the HD recruiting process) is that in RL UAB would probably have back up options they could recruit after Florida State came calling.  In HD the ONLY chance UAB has at landing a guy who could be a "difference maker" is to commit all of their recruiting resources, particularly when another mid major is also recruiting the guy.  The result is that when he is poached both mid-majors are then stuck with taking a walk on SIM because they don't have other options.  That's absurd and is completely unrealistic and disincentivizes teams from ever trying to sign better players.  If there's no realistic "back up" recruiting process available in HD, I don't think it's unreasonable to impose recruiting penalties for teams that make no discernible recruiting effort until late in the process.

The other place where this is completely unrealistic is that in RL Florida State doesn't wait until the day or week before signings to start recruiting.  They'd be so far behind the eight ball at that point that they would never compete in a Big 6 conference because all of the premiere talent would be long gone.  The fact that this game allows  higher prestige teams to effectively take any player they choose after sitting idly by doing nothing until right before signing leaves the UAB's and other lower prestige schools with very little chance to recover and at a big disadvantage.  

"Hey Johnny, this is Coach Haase of UAB.  I'm interested in recruiting you to play Blazer basketball next season but I just realized that the good folks at Florida State haven't started recruiting for next season yet and tomorrow is signing day.  I realize that neither you or I know if FSU is even going to start recruiting but I just don't want to take any chances in case they do. Would you mind sitting idly by until they start recruiting so I can determine if they might want you to play at their school.  I mean, you know how it is, if I try to recruit you and they jump it at the last minute I'll have no chance to recruit anyone else this season."

I think you make a great point possumfiend. The real crux of the problem is'nt that FSU took UAB's recruit, it's that FSU took UAB's recruit at 0 hour, when UAB thought they had fought for, and won, the rights to signing this recruit. If FSU had declared their intentions on day 1, of the recruiting process, then UAB most likely would have backed off, and would'nt have spent most of their budget, and I believe could have accepted at that point that they could'nt compete with FSU, and moved on to another recruit without having too much animosity... So some kind of stern penalty for teams coming in at the last second, and "poaching" another team's recruit might be the remedy for this problem. Maybe they lose 20% of their recruiting budget for next season, if they do what FSU is accused of doing. I believe this would force them to declare for prospects earlier, and would eliminate most of the so called "poaching" by power 6 teams.
Exactly if I had known Free shoe u FSU was interested in the recruit I would on never bother with him. It is the fact that both me and UCF were battling for him for three days then out of no where comes big budget to take him away. Funny how many great coaches are weighing in and màking great points about how the process is broken....the poachers have gone and hidden. Come out FSU in crum world defend your actions
The process could be improved, certainly.  But if you're in D1 then you know how recruiting already works.  Bottom line is that you messed up your tactics for the way recruiting currently works.  Until it is changed, there will always be "poachers".  I've been on both sides and I know that it sucks to lose a recruit in the way that you did but it's part of the game and crying like a little girl with a skinned knee because it happened to you this time isn't going to get "your" recruit back.  You want sympathy, look between **** and syphilis in the dictionary.  Suck it up and find another player or take a walk-on. 

I feel even better now.

Oh, and have a nice day.

someone didn't look far back enough, emy has more D1 experience than you can even dream of having...
1/17/2016 10:46 PM

I feel even better now.

Oh, and have a nice day.

Um, yeah WIllow.  You are quite a bit off base here.

1/17/2016 10:56 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/17/2016 8:56:00 PM (view original):
He's not saying it took 6 years to get to high level D1, he's saying it took 6 years to win a NC.....it took 27 seasons to get to high D1 or 2.5 years.....
then i misread that, makes more sense then lol.  agree with that statement a bit more although 2.5 years is still a bunch....  just not as ridiculous.

apologies cbriese(of course you say get off my lawn, you probably say "what happened to this country, it used to be so good" at the dinner table every night) 
1/17/2016 10:59 PM
Lawns used to be REAL lawns in my day, nowadays they are just ASTROTURF!!!
1/17/2016 11:01 PM

I feel even better now.

Oh, and have a nice day.

Hey genius, I've won NC's with three different D1 schools.....in Tark alone.  Not too mention the 5th most wins in D1 history in Tark.  I choose not to play D1 now because I prefer D2, not because I couldn't handle it.  You really couldn't look much more foolish right now even if you intentionally tried to, you ignorant tool.
1/18/2016 12:53 AM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
i never understood  "gentelemens agreements" of any sort in this game.  the idea is I want to beat all you other guys.  why would i deliberately choose not to use ay tactic that might make my team better?

i ,  like probably just about everyone else, have been on both sides of  "poaching".  yes,  it sucks when you think you have a guy and lose him at the last minute,  but,,,,  stuff happens.  learn from it.   when that happens it is clearly because the poachee took on too much risk.  maybe it was a good gamble and they just lose out  every now and then.  if it happens repeatedly,  then your recruiting strategies must be too risky.
1/18/2016 1:18 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/17/2016 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Colonels's "johnsensing is cheating" thread was the worst imo......
In my opinion too….
1/18/2016 7:21 AM
Posted by johnsensing on 1/18/2016 7:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/17/2016 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Colonels's "johnsensing is cheating" thread was the worst imo......
In my opinion too….
brought a smile to my face thinking back on that one... that was so ridiculous, its funny to think back on. (although im sure not for john) you probably are right TJ. 
1/18/2016 8:57 AM
Emy and onlyis must be friends can't believe all the hate site emails I am getting about them. Guess they must be f buddies... FYI I will show you my real championship ring and compare it to your titles in a fantasy game of basketball you have won,since you have put so much into who this makes you lol
1/18/2016 9:56 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Hurry up new recruiting process Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.