Hurry up new recruiting process Topic

Posted by willowcards2 on 1/18/2016 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Emy and onlyis must be friends can't believe all the hate site emails I am getting about them. Guess they must be f buddies... FYI I will show you my real championship ring and compare it to your titles in a fantasy game of basketball you have won,since you have put so much into who this makes you lol
Post screenshots of the sitemails. You won't, why? Cause you are a crap liar.

Sadly emy rejected me as his f buddy, guess he has better options than me :(

1/18/2016 10:07 PM (edited)
some back channel communique going on here....
1/18/2016 10:01 PM
Emy and onlyis must be friends can't believe all the hate site emails I am getting about them. Guess they must be f buddies... FYI I will show you my real championship ring and compare it to your titles in a fantasy game of basketball you have won,since you have put so much into who this makes you lol
JUst curious, but i thought this whole conversation was about this sim basketball game in which case, why do your, presuming they actually exist, rings have any relevance whatsoever?

1/18/2016 10:39 PM
They both have no relevance and unfortunately (like those massive amounts of hate site mails) don't exist either.  Sadly, this game doesn't define me either.  Now my third grade Tic-Tac-Toe championship, THAT is what makes me ME.
1/18/2016 11:11 PM
Ahhh....you are THIS kind of douche. Got it. Eff off tool 
1/19/2016 6:05 AM
I am the 2005 Door County, WI Rock-Paper-Scissor champions.....I couldn't make it down to Green Bay to compete for a chance to go to states....
1/19/2016 6:36 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 1/18/2016 11:11:00 PM (view original):
They both have no relevance and unfortunately (like those massive amounts of hate site mails) don't exist either.  Sadly, this game doesn't define me either.  Now my third grade Tic-Tac-Toe championship, THAT is what makes me ME.
Not that I want to get otherwise involved in this conversation, but I simply must point out that I was taking a drink of water while reading this post and the last sentence made me spit it out. After a hearty belly laugh which was quite pleasant, I cleaned up the mess I made.

Thank you emy for that little two-sided coin. The laugh was worth the mess.

1/19/2016 7:55 AM
Posted by cbriese on 1/16/2016 8:28:00 PM (view original):
"Hey, Johnny, this is Coach Hamilton of Florida State. I realize that you've already told the good folks at UAB that you'll play for their program, but I'd like to offer you a full-ride scholarship to Florida State. You'll get to play all the ACC teams every year, and your family and friends will be able to watch you on ESPN many, many times each season. We really need you when we go up against Duke and North Carolina. I completely understand, however, if you want to honor your commitment to the Blazer staff - after all, they get the make trips to schools like Western Kentucky every season. I am hoping you will consider becoming a Seminole, and maybe one day adding your name to a list of the 30 Florida State players, like Dave Cowens and Sam Cassell, who have made the jump to the NBA."

"Sorry, coach, but I'd really prefer to go to the University of Alabama, Birmingham", said no one ever.

Lmfao... This is the best written thing in the world... I've only recently started and I'm surprised as the ignorance of some in regards to how real NCAA works... Non Big 6 teams, just aren't competing each and every year. Sure, occasionally one squeaks in and make a run, but it's beyond rare and USUALLY because a major recruit snuck through the cracks. 

In a system where recruiting players is this simple, it's really not a surprise that major recruits don't fall through the cracks as often. If you're upset that the recruits NEVER fall through, than fine, but stop pretending like it isn't realistic. The ONLY contributing factor that I've seen in my real life coaching (I coach HS and occasionally assist a local D3 team), is a player has a personal tie to the school that is recruiting him, that isn't as prestigious as another. 

1/19/2016 9:30 AM

I'm actually quite shocked to see people resort to the blatant personal attacks, when your evidence just doesn't stack up in your favor. Willow, I don't know you, never read a post of yours before and don't quite understand your problem. You're basically upset because something that happens in D1 in real life, happened to you. 

Sure it's frustrating. Sure it's ridiculous at times, but your attitude just resembles that of a small child who didn't get the candy he wanted from the corner store, and is now kicking and flailing around. If you are consistently targeted by poaching, why don't you change your method of recruiting? Yes, that means you may get less than top tier recruits, but that also means you ensure more success and possibly get yourself to a bigger school... 

Let me know when a coach goes to Albany, expecting a NC year after year and is happy with himself. Most of those smaller schools (non Big 6) are just looking to win their conference championship and MAKE IT to the big stage. Almost none of these smaller schools are getting births IN REAL LIFE, without their conference tournaments.  

Edit: I'm not F buddies with Only or Emy, so you're going to have to resort to some other insult to attack me, sorry. 

1/19/2016 10:11 AM (edited)
Posted by fd343ny on 1/17/2016 5:08:00 PM (view original):
would be great to do things to make it more feasible for low DI schools to compete

There are a number of excellent suggestions that have been made over the years - yes years - that could be implemented one at a time to work toward better balance.

Based on my understanding of the proposedm, possible new approach to recruiting, it would massively change the game and might or might not have any of the desired effects.
Low DI schools used to be able to compete, back before seble nerfed recruit generation.  Over a 12 season stretch in Allen (when it was an established world and elites were fully populated for many seasons) these schools won NTs:  Maine, UNLV, Boston University, Cleveland State, Yale, and Southern.  UNLV, Morris Brown, Utah, and Weber State all played in the championship game and lost.  Montana, out of the Big Sky, had a 6 season run where they went 163-33 and made 2 Final 4s, 3 Elite 8s, and 1 Sweet 16.

Tweak recruit generation and adjust DI postseason money (not get rid entirely, but cut back by 1/2 - 1/3, or flop NT game and scholly money) and DI will be a much more even playing field.
1/19/2016 9:46 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25453864/ohio-state-flips-four-star-maryland-qb-and-lb-commits-has-no-1-class

I'm going to leave this here, for anyone who feels that this sort of thing doesn't happen in real sports and is stupid. 

1/19/2016 10:08 AM
Gary Parrish of CBS told a story about how there was an unnamed coach (assumed to be Mick Cronin) who was recruiting a certain player (assumed to be Marquis Teague) really HARD. Went to every game, talked to the kid constantly. John Calipari shows up, watches one game and gets the kid to commit to UK.  The other coach starts spreading rumors that Cal must have cheated to land the kid, so Cal confronts the coach and it goes like this:

Cal: Listen, I know what you’ve been saying

Coach: No, I haven’t been saying–

Cal: I know you did, I know you said what you said. I’ve heard it from enough people, but I want you to understand one thing. Yes I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do."

Coach: I didn’t say–

Cal: "Yes you did say that. And it’s fine, but just understand, nothing stupid went on. It’s just that I’m me, and we’re Kentucky and we can come in and get that kid whenever we want.”

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/gary-parrish-just-told-the-most-john-calipari-story-ever/

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/caliparis-vegas-altercation-was-with-mick-cronin/
1/19/2016 10:29 AM

Unfortunately, it's a fact of DI basketball these days... Look at Butler... The only reason they competed, is because a guy like Gordon Hayward fell through the cracks. 

Who just so happens to be from Indiana, and grew up watching Butler... That's really the bread and butter right there. You want to change the sim, to have the occasional cinderella team? Then start making location preferences and childhood favorites ACTUALLY make a difference. That's the only way that D1 guys aren't going to get any and every recruit they want, with no effort, because they'll always have more money. The guys who are at these top schools, are just going to pick apart the new recruiting thing and get it to work for them, just as they did this recruit engine. 

The fact remains, that the people putting in the time and work, are seeing the results. You can't expect to jump into a school like Albany and win all the time. It's not realistic. It's even less realistic in this sim. 

1/19/2016 10:44 AM
Posted by lilspike0738 on 1/19/2016 10:44:00 AM (view original):

Unfortunately, it's a fact of DI basketball these days... Look at Butler... The only reason they competed, is because a guy like Gordon Hayward fell through the cracks. 

Who just so happens to be from Indiana, and grew up watching Butler... That's really the bread and butter right there. You want to change the sim, to have the occasional cinderella team? Then start making location preferences and childhood favorites ACTUALLY make a difference. That's the only way that D1 guys aren't going to get any and every recruit they want, with no effort, because they'll always have more money. The guys who are at these top schools, are just going to pick apart the new recruiting thing and get it to work for them, just as they did this recruit engine. 

The fact remains, that the people putting in the time and work, are seeing the results. You can't expect to jump into a school like Albany and win all the time. It's not realistic. It's even less realistic in this sim. 

Perfect.
1/19/2016 11:09 AM
Posted by lilspike0738 on 1/19/2016 10:44:00 AM (view original):

"You want to change the sim, to have the occasional cinderella team? Then start making location preferences and childhood favorites ACTUALLY make a difference."

Amen to that. I love D1 and I'm not really good enough to break through to the upper level of D1 yet (Good grief, I hope I am getting close though) and it would make this game so much more fun if a really nice player would drop through the cracks every now and then.

I know poaching is a hot topic right now and I'm not trying to start any more fights about that- but I think it applies here. Regardless of how you feel about the morality of "poaching" you have to admit that if you have ever been at a rebuilding BCS school or a mid-major that having a guy that is a "program changer" all the way up to the cycle before signings, logging in and praying that when that screen pops up all of your guys signed and then see that guy now has a unbeatable school on him is REALLY frustrating. I'm not saying it illegal or even wrong, but it does really suck. It sure would be nice every now and then if there was an occasional player that you really had a shot at because of location preference or childhood favorite or because you were on him early.
1/19/2016 11:24 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Hurry up new recruiting process Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.