Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

Posted by Benis on 1/18/2016 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Hi All

I'm currently being mentored by the most elite, most successful, most fearsome coaches in HD. 

Please do not battle me for recruits.
My favorite post ever. 
1/18/2016 6:54 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 1/18/2016 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Hi All

I'm currently being mentored by the most elite, most successful, most fearsome coaches in HD. 

My favorite post ever. 
+1
1/18/2016 6:55 PM
Hi All

+1
1/18/2016 6:56 PM
Guess I'd better just give up and let Benis have any recruit he is after.  He has the secret decoder ring.

The Illuminati is clearing his path,

1/18/2016 6:57 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/18/2016 6:57:00 PM (view original):
Guess I'd better just give up and let Benis have any recruit he is after.  He has the secret decoder ring.

you mean the one all the elite coaches pass around through sitemail? that we must know about because all these new people joining are getting it through mentoring?
1/18/2016 6:59 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 6:59:00 PM (view original):

you mean the one all the elite coaches pass around through sitemail? that we must know about because all these new people joining are getting it through mentoring?
Shhh!  You are breaking the system!!!!
1/18/2016 7:00 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/18/2016 7:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 6:59:00 PM (view original):

Shhh!  You are breaking the system!!!!
dammit people are onto us, better hop onto my 8 other ID"s and the few I co-coach so I can post on the forums on those accounts and go back into anonymity
1/18/2016 7:03 PM
Do all new coaches have mentors? No

Do you need a mentor to get better at the game? No

Having a problem with someone having a mentor is really reaching for an answer on why others are better then you.
1/18/2016 7:05 PM
Posted by kevodaphenom on 1/18/2016 7:05:00 PM (view original):
Do all new coaches have mentors? No

Do you need a mentor to get better at the game? No

Having a problem with someone having a mentor is really reaching for an answer on why others are better then you.
+1

best serious response to this.
1/18/2016 7:06 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 1/18/2016 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 6:44:00 PM (view original):
your on a wild goose chase if you think I should have to post the people I sitemail talking about HD or specific help.

It's super easy to tell if new users are good just look at the recruits they are going after, the good new coaches will have good recruits.  Therefore assume they have an idea they are doing.
Thank you for your answers.
I now know that i have to guard against yet another hidden layer of difficulty in HD.
As long as i know the disadvantages and hurdles i think i have a chance to maybe overcome them.
i definitely do not think coaches have to disclose who else they are mentoring. its up to the coaches involved if they want to do it.

here's the thing - usually, you can get a pretty good gauge of what is going on by the resume of the coach. i guess if the mentoring JUST started, it could make a difference, but the results aren't usually THAT instantaneous. most of the mentoring i've done over the years, was not like, a hands-on entire recruiting session, thats pretty intense. a couple points here and there, its going to help, but its not going to put you at a major disadvantage to that person overnight.

i do think multiple IDs should be transparent, which is why i was always super-open about my IDs. not everyone chooses to do that, and that's ok i guess, but i would feel better making it public. i also think co-coaching is probably better to disclose or not, if for no other reason than social courtesy (its like send a text on someone else's phone, good to say its you, not just send a message, IMO). i do think there is also the point of, its fair for people to know who they are playing, but i think drawing that line at mentoring is somewhat ridiculous, considering mentoring might be no more than a sitemail every 3 months.

1/18/2016 7:37 PM
aww I thought my serious replies were pretty damn good... 
1/18/2016 7:37 PM
i don't think npb is being totally unreasonable here. he's not saying anyone is doing or has done anything wrong. he started just asking about co-coaches, and then asked about mentoring, and finally shared his opinion that he thinks mentors should be shared with him, that its fair to do so.

i think many on here think multiple IDs should be revealed. co-coaching is a step from that, and mentoring is a step from that. its not black and white in there, its shades of gray. also, while his opinion may be drawing the line in an edge case that is probably a bit unreasonable, i think he's going about it the right way. he's not blaming anyone or PMSing about a recent recruit he lost like some other folks like to do. i don't think he's worried about the lone sitemails either, i think he's thinking of mentoring on steroids situations, only a step away from co-coaching. its not ridiculous to want to know. if he starts saying those folks are cheating, or that their success is tainted, or anything like that, then we have a problem... but i feel like hes been reasonable enough here, we shouldn't beat him up for asking.
1/18/2016 7:49 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/18/2016 7:49:00 PM (view original):
i don't think npb is being totally unreasonable here. he's not saying anyone is doing or has done anything wrong. he started just asking about co-coaches, and then asked about mentoring, and finally shared his opinion that he thinks mentors should be shared with him, that its fair to do so.

i think many on here think multiple IDs should be revealed. co-coaching is a step from that, and mentoring is a step from that. its not black and white in there, its shades of gray. also, while his opinion may be drawing the line in an edge case that is probably a bit unreasonable, i think he's going about it the right way. he's not blaming anyone or PMSing about a recent recruit he lost like some other folks like to do. i don't think he's worried about the lone sitemails either, i think he's thinking of mentoring on steroids situations, only a step away from co-coaching. its not ridiculous to want to know. if he starts saying those folks are cheating, or that their success is tainted, or anything like that, then we have a problem... but i feel like hes been reasonable enough here, we shouldn't beat him up for asking.
so we have to put the pitchforks away?

I agree on the multiple ID thing as well since there's a group of coaches that are very open, a few I find out and was surprised, a few I bet I don't know, and a few I'd guess were alternate accounts of someone.  A complied list would be nice, but the people that volunteer their names will be the well known accounts.
1/18/2016 7:51 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 1/18/2016 6:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 6:03:00 PM (view original):
They shouldn't have to explain that fact.  Do I have to put a list on the forums of every single coach I sitemail, because you could consider that mentoring?
Yes, they should let others know that they are being mentored by "Veteran Owner X", absolutely. What is the harm or secret in them letting their rivals know this? I'd be at a disadvantage to not know this, and i might spend my money incorrectly by going against a 1000-win veteran as opposed to a new owner.
well, i guess this one was kind of ridiculous... but still i think he is thinking of "going against a 1000 win vet", not a sitemail or two. but that exactly what you just asked. im not sure. maybe downgrade the pitchfork to like, a prodding iron? 
1/18/2016 8:18 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/18/2016 8:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by npb7768 on 1/18/2016 6:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 6:03:00 PM (view original):
They shouldn't have to explain that fact.  Do I have to put a list on the forums of every single coach I sitemail, because you could consider that mentoring?
Yes, they should let others know that they are being mentored by "Veteran Owner X", absolutely. What is the harm or secret in them letting their rivals know this? I'd be at a disadvantage to not know this, and i might spend my money incorrectly by going against a 1000-win veteran as opposed to a new owner.
well, i guess this one was kind of ridiculous... but still i think he is thinking of "going against a 1000 win vet", not a sitemail or two. but that exactly what you just asked. im not sure. maybe downgrade the pitchfork to like, a prodding iron? 
is a branding iron okay?
1/18/2016 8:21 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.