Who wins the AFC Championship? Topic

Let's test our gridiron knowledge. Who wins the AFC Championship?
Votes: 52
(Last vote received: 2/3/2016 4:36 PM)
1/19/2016 11:56 AM
The odds are in our favour! We have the number 1 defense and we already beat them at home this season. Lets go Denver!
1/19/2016 2:51 PM
There is a concept in the NFL called the Gods of Football. So if the Gods have it the way they want it, it will be the old aching player going against the next alpha male.

Denver against Carolina.
1/19/2016 7:40 PM
I hate to say it but I think the Patriots win again.
1/19/2016 7:52 PM
I absolutely hope it doesn't happen, but probably the Patriots.

Unless the Pats are going up against an Eli Manning-led Giants squad in the Super Bowl, they always seem to get the breaks they need to win games, even the ones they have no business winning (see last year's Super Bowl for an example).

What is likely to happen is this...

The game starts out with a feeling out process, where at least one team and maybe both fail to score (at a minimum fail to score a TD) on their first possession or two. Patriots take the lead, Manning leads the Broncos back, the Broncos should win the game, but a talented Patriot such as Gronkowski or Edelman or a defensive or special teams guy comes through and the Patriots take it anyway.

If the Pats win, in the aftermath it will be like 95+ percent of all Pats playoff wins - everyone will give all the credit to Tom Brady, no matter how many mistakes he made or if he just managed not to screw up and other players got them the win.

Even if Gronkowski scores five TDs on short passes where he caught it and then ran through four defenders 30 plus yards to the end zone each time, people will say it was all Brady getting him the ball, even if Gronk was wide open and the worst backup QB in the league could have made the same throws.

If Brady makes mistakes and it doesn't cost them the game and they win anyway, no one will talk about his mistakes, or at least not for long. He could throw four INTs, lostetwo fumbles, have a QB rating of ZERO, and if they somehow eek out a win, it'll be glossed over.

If he makes mistakes and it DOES cost them the game, all the talking heads will make excuses for him. It'll be the fault of his O-line, or the receivers, or someone else. (Example, when they lost the last SB to the Giants, Brady totally blew a throw to a wide open Wes Welker that likely leads to a Patriots win...and most of the talking heads tried to blame Welker.)

Heck, if the game is tied and Brady is trying to lead them down for the winning score and instead throws a pick-six and CAUSES the loss, it'll get blamed on the receiver or the O-line or the coach calling a bad play or the weather wasn't right or Brady sniffed a fart right when he threw the ball and it's the fart's fault cause Brady is too amazing to ever be blamed for anything.

I hope the Broncos win. I hope it happens because Tom Brady royally screws up so badly no one can deny it. But like I said, the Patriots get all the breaks unless they go up against the Giants in the Super Bowl...and the Giants didn't make the playoffs this year, so everyone else is probably screwed.
1/20/2016 10:03 AM
Someone hates brady, sheesh
1/20/2016 12:34 PM
Brady is the best ever. I understand he is disliked.
1/20/2016 1:02 PM

Peyton Manning is showing his age, or his injury is effecting him.  And the Patriots legacy will be their cheating, not their SB wins.  Brady is a dump off QB.  He'll dump off 20 times before he takes a shot downfield.

And cheating usally wins.

1/20/2016 5:17 PM (edited)
im not that into football so i don't feel the need to have a good reason for my vote. i've watched peyton lose to the patriots in the playoffs enough times in my life. go peyton, go f yourself, patriots.
1/20/2016 5:18 PM
Let's stop this before it gets off the rails: Brady is great. He is not the best QB of all time but he is great. Peyton does not always lose to the Patriots in the playoffs. He's actually 2-1 against them in AFC championship games and 2-2 overall (both losses were over 10 years ago too).

I will be pulling for the Broncos because the potential appeal of Peyton winning a super bowl and then retiring is too much to resist.

And I despise the Patriots.
1/20/2016 5:43 PM
If he isn't the best of all time, I am thinking who is the best QB of all time. The stats, the Super Bowls... The number of seasons in the game, healthy and dominant. He played for the most dominant team in football, the 16-0 Pats that lost to that miracle catch against the Giants.

I am not a fan... But it will be tough to show me someone has had a better career.
1/20/2016 10:39 PM
joe montana? i mean, i can see thinking either is better, but to say brady is unquestionably better, that seems like a stretch, to my unrefined mind. bart starr still has a title on him too doesn't he? i dont know a ton about bart starr, i had heard of him as a great and i think then someone actually posted an article here on the forums a while back, that was long as hell but really interesting, and got me to read up about him. it seemed like he wasn't really considered in the running for best ever in general because his stats weren't up there with guys like peyton, but the dude was a beast and won 5 titles, thats got to count for something. 
1/20/2016 10:51 PM
Montana 273 TDS, 139 INT, 40 551 yds, 92,3 rtg : 14 seasons, 16 in the league (injured twice), SB : 4, 8 pro-bowls, 3 SB MVPS, 2 NFL MVP, 3 times first team.

Brady SB : 4, 3 SB MVP, 2, NFL MVP, 11 PRO-BOWLS, 2 First team all pro, Career rating 96.4 over 480 TDS passes, 15 full seasons...

It's close but Brady has passed Montana.

1/20/2016 11:01 PM
Brady is the best quarterback ever imo.(and I hate the fact he went to Michigan).

The only QB's that maybe ahead of him are Marino(no postseason success, not entirely his fault), Manning(however not great post season success, and not ending his career that well) and Joe Montana(who I've never actually seen)

Personally I'd take Brady over them when building a team, we've seen him play different types of systems, probably one of the greatest competitors ever, and he makes anyone look good.

Anyone who doesn't like him just likes to call him a cheater, which is bs.

1/20/2016 11:10 PM
I don't care enough to argue who is the best but what I just saw is an argument for most accomplished. That's fine and a fair argument but there is a difference between who is the most accomplished and who is the best.
1/21/2016 6:03 AM
1|2|3...15 Next ▸
Who wins the AFC Championship? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.