Big Six teams you don't want Topic

Posted by possumfiend on 2/8/2016 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 2/8/2016 9:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by possumfiend on 2/8/2016 8:44:00 PM (view original):
OR seems to do just fine with Hawaii in Crum:

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=8791
seems a little premature to say IMHO - 6 seasons, 1 S16 - he's a top-notch coach, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this come true, but I wouldn't really call that world-beating just yet
Not really sure I understand your need to be contrary here ... is it just to be contrary?  Who said anything about this performance being "world beating"? ...  I provided an example of a consistently competitive team in Hawaii ... "once a fluke, twice a coincidence but three times a trend" ... so in five seasons OR's Hawaii club made the PI in his first three seasons advancing to the 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd round respectively.  Then in his first season with "his" player he makes the NT and goes to the 2nd Round, makes the S16 in his fifth season.  Now, 20 games games into his 6th season he's ranked #18 and looks to be a good bet for a third consecutive NT appearance.  

In the 33 seasons before OR took over the team (all human controlled by the same owner) Hawaii made the post-season a total of 8 times,1 NT and 7 PIs. Five of those postseason appearances occurred right around the time (or just after) recruit generation was changed ... after the changes in recruit generation firmly took hold, the prior coach only made the postseason (all PI berths) three times ... so IMHO, I don't think it's at all premature to say that he "seems to do just fine with Hawaii" because he does seem to be doing just fine.

I'm sorry, I believe this is a misunderstanding of perspective and scope. 
Which big six team is the worst situation and the toughest to win at?  

Was the original question, and I read it to mean to win titles consistently at - to try to establish a hoops dynasty if you will - and at 6 seasons and no titles it is early yet to say if he will be able to do that with Hawaii. 

I shouldn't presuppose how you define winning. 
2/9/2016 3:26 AM
gomiami had a good hawaii program at one point in time, made the final 4 if i remember correctly. if you are talking about trying to build an A+, regular contender, i think hawaii is really, really tough - but that doesn't mean a good coach cant do well there - i'm sure there are good coaches that have done well with every bcs program.

i generally agree with dac that OR taking hawaii to the sweet 16 doesn't really say anything about the difficulty. hes OR, he can win anywhere. and its still only the sweet 16. i think all dac is saying is, that success for a coach like OR is not surprising yet - not enough to walk away from the position that hawaii is a really tough gig. hes not saying the rebuild hasn't been impressive, just that its not so unexpected that we have to rethink our stance on hawaii!
2/9/2016 11:49 AM
Thx for the Hawaii'in shout out.  Been interesting there to say the least.
2/11/2016 3:41 PM
I just took over Hawaii in Iba. Going to give it a try. Not much to choose from this first year. A grand total of 6 recruits., none of them appear to be very good. Maybe one guy who sucks now but has a lot of potential
2/28/2016 9:40 PM
◂ Prev 12
Big Six teams you don't want Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.