Look, how much of all this is "new fuzzy" and how much is just plain "we can't see currents now?" I really doubt anyone knows for sure.

2/23/2016 3:46 PM
My guess it the OP player was all about currents. Had anyone saw them, player is drafted in the first couple of rounds.
2/23/2016 3:53 PM
Posted by damag on 2/20/2016 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 2/20/2016 10:03:00 AM (view original):
Geez. How does that even happen?
I'll guess.

1/ Poor arm. Might have been listed at an unexpected position in the draft rankings, which could "hide" a player.

2/ Nice hit ratings. Terrible pitch ratings, so-so health... dragged down his Overall. And since we can only see projections but not know if a player is actually decent right now...

3/ Owners in his world light on College scouting as a group.

Thing I've found about this scouting system now is that I really have to be more diligent doing pre-ranks. And one factor of that time is trying to find mediocre players the system pushes up by default. I hate drafting a guy in the first round who's never going to hit ML pitching or defend at a ML level, but he was pushed up the draft board because his Overall is good. Every time one of those guys gets pushed up, one player like this one gets pushed down. Doing pre-ranks is more important now IMO.

That said, it's possible this player might have been hidden enough anyway.

Re: #1. This is why I always take a close look at DH in the draft. I look for guys who may end up with a good PC rating. There are usually more than a few.
2/27/2016 2:34 PM
Posted by knellypsu on 2/22/2016 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Can someone please find the pre draft scouting ratings on these players? I'm very interested in how their true ratings match up with the pre draft projections....
Wouldn't your pre draft ratings be based on your scouting budget? That would make what you see different for different owners, and different based on how different you Coll/Hs scouting $$ were as opposed to your ADV $$.
2/27/2016 2:38 PM
Posted by damag on 2/23/2016 3:46:00 PM (view original):
Look, how much of all this is "new fuzzy" and how much is just plain "we can't see currents now?" I really doubt anyone knows for sure.

I really hate the 'we can't see currents' reality now. IMO, it is just not realistic for your scouts not to be able to tell you what a player is now. After all, projections are fuzzy, and should be since no one can predict the future with certainty. But you should be able to tell 'now' with a fair amount of certainty. Otherwise, what are you paying your scouts for?
2/27/2016 2:57 PM (edited)
Posted by torrone on 2/27/2016 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by damag on 2/23/2016 3:46:00 PM (view original):

I really hate the 'we can't see currents' reality now. IMO, it is just not realistic for your scouts not to be able to tell you what a player is now. After all, projections are fuzzy, and should be since no one can predict the future with certainty. But you should be able to tell 'now' with a fair amount of certainty. Otherwise, what are you paying your scouts for?
Just my opinion, but it's a necessity for the game to work better for everyone. Sometimes you have to do something that contradicts real life in order to make a game work.

Before the change, I didn't even fully realize it, but I had begun to draft based on currents more than on projections. It was only a matter of time till I figured out I could cut back on scouting $$$, and I'm sure many owners had already figured it out given that I'm definitely not smart when it comes to this game.

2/28/2016 3:27 PM
It makes more sense to see slightly fuzzy current ratings AND slightly fuzzy projected ratings than to see zero current ratings and insanely fuzzy projections. The draft is ruined for me. I would have done things much differently.
The changes were made because too many people had $0 for advanced scouting, right? Guess what? I'm still going $0 for advanced scouting and have no designs to go higher because how does a higher advanced scouting budget help me draft better players? It doesn't.

What I would do is fuzzy current ratings and fuzzy projections and make the fuzziness depend on some metric of coaching budget and quality of coaches and advanced scouting budget. Or just do away with advanced scouting all together and replace it with hiring scouts and scouting directors, similar to coach hiring where you see scouts ratings and what not. I would say every team hires a director and three scouts. Not totally realistic but far more realistic than seeing no current ratings. "Hey boss check out the scouting report on this college player, he's going to have a superior batting eye and good power." Cool, what's his eye and power like right now? "I have no damn idea!"
2/29/2016 4:15 PM
No. Too many people ******* about draft guarantees and "no Mike Piazzas" in the draft. ADV has nothing to do with the draft.
2/29/2016 4:19 PM
No to what?
2/29/2016 5:12 PM
"The changes were made because too many people had $0 for advanced scouting, right?"

No.
2/29/2016 5:51 PM
Shane Maxwell - drafted in the 20th round https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7591125
Here's what I know about this pick. I had 14 million in both scouting categories. Maxwell was so low rated that he did not show up in the top 500 and thus could not be seen in order to be ranked. I did not rank him, could not see him. He was total luck. I have looked for these in the drafts since I got him and see a few trends. One, they are always college players. Two, they are always unseen by the drafting team prior to the draft. Three, they are always some where in rounds 16 to 22 (the few I have seen anyways). Three, I have yet to see more than one player like this in a single draft. So my theory is that the programmers have intentionally inserted these random gems in the drafts to be the Piazzas and Bagwells everyone complains about. They are intentionally impossible to see. 20/20 scouting won't reveal them. And the owner who gets them appears to be random and just lucky. Now what I am waiting to watch is how much these players truly progress and if they come anywhere near their projections or improve much at all.
3/1/2016 9:15 PM
This guy, Nerio Starr, was a 20th-round pick 35 seasons back in Mays. He wasn't a DITR, and it was with whatever the original HBD scouting engine was. He's not all that relevant to the fuzzy draft ratings discussion, but he was always a fun exception to the rule. You can't see his ratings anymore, but he was a decent C who was a Hall-of-Fame hitter.
3/1/2016 9:27 PM
800 home runs drafted in the 20th round? Jesus......
3/2/2016 6:53 AM
I was hoping I might land a guy like has been discussed here in my draft, but I didn't even make it outside my 500 ranked players. This is my first draft since 2014, but I'm pretty sure I typically got some late round guys who were not in the 500 guys I scouted.
3/2/2016 12:33 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.