Reactionary posts Topic

Will see how the beta testing, but if you can't control your own recruiting sessions, can't control what you are getting out of players, it sure needs to be adressed in the beta testing. Second, I am a bit scared for DII teams... Where will they be? Stuck in the middle? What about public camps? What if you miss the one you need to be in? I don't know, can't wait to see how it looks and what info you get when it's time to recruit. Honestly, I hope it does two things :

1) Get some balance and battles in D1
2) Stop the 6-6 classes, that get an edge two seasons out of four.
3/5/2016 3:09 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 3/5/2016 1:30:00 PM (view original):
I'm looking forward to the Beta test.

I am not looking forward to a five-week closure of HD to implement what comes out of the Beta test, but it could be very worth it. Eliminating the 2am and 5am recruiting cycles alone will be a big victory for the coaching community.

If they are going to close the gym for that long, I hope they make some other significant changes at the same time too, so we only have to do this once.
I really disagree with the thought of closing HD for that long! They need to give us a new world in exchange! That is only fair.
3/5/2016 3:27 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 3/4/2016 11:50:00 AM (view original):
It seems geography is now even more important at D2/D3 if that was possible and more important than prestige at 2/3 as well.
I submitted a question with concerns for geographically isolated schools and how these recruiting updates may make locations like Hawaii, Alaska, DIII Palm Beach Atlantic, etc. almost unplayable. If I can't have a 100% chance of signing an Alaska recruit while coaching at Alaska Anchorage or Fairbanks, then WTF is the point. My question was not selected.
3/5/2016 4:50 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 3/5/2016 10:03:00 AM (view original):
ok, did my own math. If a team is alone at the minimum for Very High, which we are calling 5000.

9 other teams come in at the minimum for Moderate, which is 2500 points, but they only get 25% credit for Moderate level points. So that's

5000 + 9(625) = 10625

5000/10625 = 47%
625 /10625 = 5.88% each.

Now, you don't know when a kid's "signing trigger" will go off, meaning you don't want to offer scholarships to your backups in case you fill your roster without getting your primary target.

The players can make a decision at any time in the signing period, so you may want to hold off offering scholarships to backup options.

So you have to wait on your backups, while you might be only 47% on your primary or whatever. You lose the coin flip, but in the meantime your backup decided it was signing time, and another school on his list did offer a scholarship, so he is gone too. You spent on the backup to be in position if you needed him, of course, but that effort is now wasted just like other effort is now...

Yeah, it'll be a good idea to have backup options in place.

Unless someone else jumps on your backup options, too, and of course if this is early recruiting and you are an A+, you are going to do this and not know how many openings you will end up with, what positions you need to focus on, how much budget you will ultimately have, etc.

Also, 47% is less than half. Back of the envelope probability has me guesstimate that if you were in a situation like this one with 3 recruits you could still have a 1 in 8 shot of signing none of them...is that correct?

Yes, it makes recruiting hard and sometimes you miss out. Just like in real life. It also allows some guys to pick other places.. Also like real life.

But the A+ guys should still get most of the great recruits.
3/5/2016 5:03 PM
Posted by guyo26 on 3/5/2016 10:31:00 AM (view original):
I don't even know dac :/ If it's unlearnable that really sucks. But if it's learnable, then it can be planned around. Both ways, for you and for the people that see you on his list. Meaning people can pick off your backups while you wait for him to S or get off the pot
Or you just move on to someone else. And another team might be willing to wait. This seems very realistic to me. (for those of us that are hanging around the team recruiting website on National Signing Day to see who signs in the first period and who goes to the second signing period.
3/5/2016 5:08 PM
Ok, tried to read most of these and didn't see this questions sooooooo here it goes. Some coaches are concerned that if you are an A+ and trying to get the #1 recruit and several other power schools and mid-majors jump in and join the lottery getting to that "Very High" level, you are getting screwed. I was under the impression that though this may happen, it wouldn't be smart recruiting because of preferences. Like for instance, if the #1 recruit is from Cincinnati, Ohio wants to play right away, doesn't care about prestige, and wants to stay close to home... Then why would Duke and Kansas job on him when Xavier and UC would be those preferences? At the same time, if the same recruits preferences were doesn't care about playing time early, doesn't care about distance, and wants to play for a NC contender... why would X or UC think they have a shot over the big schools like Duke or Kansas?

I'm not saying those coaches wouldn't jump on them if their preferences don't match... but if they do, isn't that just bad recruiting? Like if all 4 teams got to the "Very High" interest level... wouldn't the teams with the preferred preferences be more likely to sign the kid?
3/5/2016 5:37 PM
Is the only thing that matters in this game DI? Everyone seems to be focused (including WIS) on how recruiting changes will alter the DI landscape...yet 2/3 of the potential revenue HD can produce is in the lower divisions. I am speechless every time a discussion like this appears. The conversation usually ends up being something like BCS versus mid-major. What an income-limiting state of mind from a business standpoint.
3/5/2016 6:36 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/5/2016 6:36:00 PM (view original):
Is the only thing that matters in this game DI? Everyone seems to be focused (including WIS) on how recruiting changes will alter the DI landscape...yet 2/3 of the potential revenue HD can produce is in the lower divisions. I am speechless every time a discussion like this appears. The conversation usually ends up being something like BCS versus mid-major. What an income-limiting state of mind from a business standpoint.
Not the only thing that matters but examples are easier to talk about when I'm trying to make a point... Kansas, Duke, Xavier, Cincinnati are a little easier to think about that Limestone, Mars Hill and Henderson St...
3/5/2016 6:40 PM
No, but Div-1 is where this has the greatest impact. There are many more 'good' players at the lower levels. It is also easier to get a backup decent recruit after signings start, etc.

Also, most people want to move to Div-1.i think a lot more people would be there if recruiting there was different.
3/5/2016 6:54 PM (edited)
Posted by jaymc2007 on 3/5/2016 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Not the only thing that matters but examples are easier to talk about when I'm trying to make a point... Kansas, Duke, Xavier, Cincinnati are a little easier to think about that Limestone, Mars Hill and Henderson St...
Well also due to the fact D1 has way more problems than D2/D3 so people are a bit more worried about fixing D1 than making D2/D3 great.
3/5/2016 6:52 PM
Yes, but DI drives the agenda. A programming change that makes Xavier more level with Duke might have the opposite effect with Alaska Anchorage and Wayne State. From a business perspective, Wayne State and UAA, while not bringing in the same level of interest to the game that a Duke or even Xavier would, still generates the same revenue potential for WIS...and, to be technical, a lot more since there are 650 or so lower division schools.

If these changes help DI but hurt DII and DIII (from a playability perspective,) WIS has done nothing more than shoot themselves in the foot.
3/5/2016 7:07 PM (edited)
Posted by the0nlyis on 3/5/2016 6:52:00 PM (view original):
Well also due to the fact D1 has way more problems than D2/D3 so people are a bit more worried about fixing D1 than making D2/D3 great.
Every school eats up the same amount of compute cycles to generate a box score, the same amount of server space to keep records, etc. It is not about making DII or DIII great. Even if I concede the point that DI has more problems, the recruiting changes will impact all divisions. Making 1/3 better without considering how it may impact the other 2/3 is illogical.
3/5/2016 7:14 PM
...i had an long eloquent heartfelt reply for why fixing DI was the most important thing for the game despite never having played a DI game in my HD career, but for some reason when I hit 'submit' it just took me back to the forum home list...although the last thing you should do is judge your own work as "eloquent" especially if you're the only own whose read it.

...maybe its the cruelest of fates, maybe its the gods testing my resolve...but, in short, I've never played DI mostly because it's always been a trainwreck, even though the idea of coaching my very own IU team was the very reason I joined. I only have one team now because moving to DI sounds terrible yet there is absolutely no creativity left for me in the lower divisions as the interface exists today --- because I can't even ******* chose individual defensive match ups in man-to-man and whatnot....

Large-scale improvements to the recruiting process is step number 692, however, we are still on step number 8.
3/5/2016 8:43 PM
D1 is heads and shoulders more fun than D2 or D3 if you are ready to play at that level.
3/5/2016 10:32 PM
holy ****, you have to be right...right???
3/5/2016 11:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...15 Next ▸
Reactionary posts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.