Reactionary posts Topic

Posted by MyGeneration on 3/5/2016 10:32:00 PM (view original):
D1 is heads and shoulders more fun than D2 or D3 if you are ready to play at that level.

D1 is heads and shoulders more fun than D2 or D3 if you've played long enough to make it to that level.

Fixed it for you.

3/5/2016 11:44 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 3/5/2016 11:44:00 PM (view original):
D1 is heads and shoulders more fun than D2 or D3 if you are ready to play at that level.

D1 is heads and shoulders more fun than D2 or D3 if you've played long enough to make it to that level.

Fixed it for you.

Disagree 100%.
3/6/2016 2:26 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 3/6/2016 2:26:00 AM (view original):

Fixed it for you.

Disagree 100%.
I also disagree. Which means I agree with emy
3/6/2016 4:08 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 3/6/2016 4:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 3/6/2016 2:26:00 AM (view original):

Fixed it for you.

Disagree 100%.
I also disagree. Which means I agree with emy
Also disagree......Div 1 is the main reason for the coming changes...it is a mess at the moment and neither fair or fun for the majority of the players.
3/6/2016 5:25 AM
D1 has issues that makes you want to quit playing. If you think about retention, it sure does not do the job. I've been 13 seasons into D1 with IUPUI, La Salle, had 4 NT, first round exit, one PI final four, one PI first round exit, one PI second round exit. So six seasons I spent rebuilding these teams. I had luck at IUPUI because I was in an empty conference. Is my team better at La Salle than it was once I finished rebuilding it? No, not really. On my first class I went final four PI beat some Big Six teams along the way. If I get to a Big Six school, I will need at least 4 more years of rebuild, and 10 more or so to reach B+ to A-, and it dépends on where I land. So it's 23 seasons before I land in a confortable zone. Right now, I can't get any players that will improve La Salle... All good players are taken by big six teams, and if I battle one of them, other mid-majors will jump on lower recruit I want to bring in. So I am stuck in Neutral. D1 is not working... For sure.

Now, Clemson D1. I went 10 seasons in a row in the NT, three sweet sixteen and other results in DII before I could land Clemson, big six, C prestige. The team was destroyed by SIMS. It took me four years to build it back, this season, I hope for a PIT, if not a NT, but in ACC with Duke, Maryland, UNC, John Sensing (just took a team) and Wake Forest (NT winner), I have no shot at the conference NT. So, my prestige will probably rise to C+ if I have a decent season. So it will be a slow climb and I have no idea if it will be like La Salle, where at some point, I cannot progress anymore. So far, you could say it's been 14 years... So that road was better.

At Utah, I am in the first season of a four years rebuild. The team was also destroyed by SIMS. So I took five years at MSVU to rebuild to a NT appearance, and then I had that Utah opportunity I took. So I am sure of 9 years and more before I am C to C+... If I remain at Utah, it will take me probably 10 years more before I reach A... If I get Lucky enough to get key players to put me in contention to win a nt game or two.

Not that I am whining... It's just really unrealistic. No AD, no coach would sign up for 10 to 15 years or misery before hitting it big. They'd want to be able to compete.

In DII, not a lot is broken, it's probably the best division. So why fix it? Maybe make distance a little less important.

In DIII, location is too important. Some states like Georgia get an edge, if you end up being alone somewhere, since there aren't enough owners, you have a huge advantage over somebody playing in a filled conference where all colleges are close to one another. So make distance a little less relevant when it comes to recruiting so we can find other plans... Maybe make scouting cost less. Other than that, not a lot to change also.

To me, this update should fix all D1 problems so we can finally have a healthy competitive field.
3/6/2016 9:40 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/4/2016 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jetwildcat on 3/4/2016 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jeffdrayer on 3/4/2016 8:48:00 PM (view original):
My two cents:

The more things that are determined by "luck," the fewer things that are determined by "being good." In all things in life, all any person strives for is control. Every advance in the world -- be it sports, technology, culture, everything -- is created to decrease the role of luck in our daily lives.

We don't think about it, but we abhor the concept of luck. Yes, we enjoy when we get lucky. But we hate being unlucky. The magnitude of crushing disappointment associated with being unlucky far outweighs the magnitude of joy at being lucky. Therefore, adding luck to a game where it's not necessary will only continue to create over time a greater amount of negative feeling than positive feeling.

Life is hard enough. People play a game because they would like one place in their life where their hard work and intelligence nets a proportionally large reward. Not because they want yet something else besides their job, marriage, kids, other people's kids, world events, politics, the weather, the economy, etc that's left to the winds of chance.

There's a reason we're basketball fans, and not fans of the National Coin Flip League.

Any time you add luck where it's not necessary is a bad idea.
"Luck" is the only way for a simulation to implement variance...at least without implementing some crazy cellular automata-type system.

As basketball fans, if we knew the better team was going to win 100% of the time, we wouldn't watch. There is variance involved. How else could you explain why player's don't 'always make' or 'always miss' free throws?

Managing luck involves MORE skill than managing certainties.

Without some level of luck, most of us would never have even a chance at winning a national title in HD. No suspense. No excitement.

I'm not necessarily arguing that more luck is always better. I'm saying it, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. Like a dressing on your salad. Boring without it, a soup with too much.
slow down there tiger - you are changing the argument now. is the need for more variance, or more equality? those are NOT the same thing. there is a lot of variance in this game. except for a dozen or two shorts bursts (some of which should be expected by random chance), championships in each division in each world are won by a wide variety of people. this isn't a game where the top 5 guys are winning all the titles.

variance also does nothing to improve the mean (average) outcome. so, you think mid majors would be happy, if they won 1 of 10 titles (as a group) because the game was more about luck - but conversely, their down seasons, when luck swung the other way, they were considerably more screwed than today? no, becomes their average outcome would still be ****. what this game needs is more equality. the mean, not the variance, needs to shift.

i don't disagree with your salad analogy - its just irrelevant. i don't disagree that luck is the way to introduce variance - its just irrelevant. the problem here is equality, not variance. we need strategic fixes here, to address real problems.
Replying to the shorter of the responses.

I'm not mixing arguments, you misunderstood my one about the 10k getting value. I'm not making a "soccer mom" fairness argument. I'm arguing that, over time, with a lottery system, you average out to get your money's worth. I was comparing styles of auctions.

This is one of the things driving the discrepancy in recruit value. The A+ teams almost always win battles, so not only do they get more cash, they rarely waste it. Lesser schools have to risk what they have WAY more than A+ teams do because going for good recruits will get them nothing. Does every single $ need to get something back? No, not every $, and I don't think it will, but holy ****, the current system is extreme. It ******* sucks.

On to means and variance, getting the means closer will not solve this, because success is not normally distributed about the mean for any mid-major schools. You have a strict ceiling that most people will never break through without taking significant risks. The only semi-successful mid-majors need their entire conference to be full before they get anywhere.

The old system accidentally fixed this by creating enough recruits that 'maxed out' that there were some left over.

by your logic, in any imperfect system, you can draw no correlations, no conclusions from apparent cause-effect relationships. nice try, but its total BS!

No, what I'm saying is you can't draw any correlations from this system. That's all I said, your example of the last system having solved something was a sharpshooter fallacy.

Here's really what I'm getting at here. The core of the current system involves how you get players, and how you use them. Everything else is a side effect. Changing the side effects that the existing players are recommending is putting lipstick on a pig.

let me hazard one other reason, that most of the game's most successful coaches have a relatively similar take on how to fix this inequity - maybe it has something to do with our underlying understanding of how this game works. i hate making statements like this, but i see no way around it: nobody disputes that i can look at any situation in this game, and predict how it would play out, way above where virtually anybody else can. nobody disputes that i can consider one real setup, and explain the hypothetical outcomes that would result from a wide variety of changes, far better than most. how is examining changes to the underlying system any different? the truth is, the reason that many vets strongly maintain their opinions on this subject, is because we believe we have a good understanding of this problem, and how to fix it. we've been on this problem for ages, warning about it since it went into beta. and even though we've yelled about this, far louder than any other issue, for 5 years, we've been ignored, and had to watch as the game we love was destroyed. so yeah, i'm bitter. this is not a hard problem. it should have been fixed 5 years ago. so yeah, i'm ******. that's why.

I will go with another analogy. HD is a car. You guys know the car as well as anyone - veritable grease monkeys. You've seen it through repairs, upgrades, being ignored. In fact, you're probably a master mechanic.

The car could get better, sure. You guys know how to make the car faster, more comfortable, aerodynamic, etc. You all have great ideas as to how to make the existing car twice as good as it is now.

But, it will never fly.

Seble is trying to turn the car into a plane - while it's driving, at that. Right now, he's changing the engine from a HEMI 429L V8 to a Pratt & Whitney PW1000G, and you guys won't shut up about how that's a ****** engine for a car. You're not wrong, you're just arguing about the wrong thing.
3/6/2016 12:40 PM
Those population charts you put out? HD isn't budgeted to just advertise until they're full. They get new players from time to time, they just don't retain them well enough. Job change logic isn't going to mean **** for the new players that play 1 season and are done. A new recruiting system that's more fun will.
3/6/2016 12:45 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 3/6/2016 12:45:00 PM (view original):
Those population charts you put out? HD isn't budgeted to just advertise until they're full. They get new players from time to time, they just don't retain them well enough. Job change logic isn't going to mean **** for the new players that play 1 season and are done. A new recruiting system that's more fun will.
I think the recruiting system is fun and challenging. It needs to be leveled a bit so we can compete at DIII, DII and DI. But it's sure one of the best aspect of the game and it has some challenges not to get you bored. If they make that game a childish game where everything is handed to you, then it will die for sure. The population playing this game are not teenagers.
3/6/2016 1:21 PM
You guys really think that changing division one job logic and division one issues is going to net a larger population base of retained new players when those new players don't start at division one?
3/6/2016 2:44 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 3/6/2016 2:44:00 PM (view original):
You guys really think that changing division one job logic and division one issues is going to net a larger population base of retained new players when those new players don't start at division one?
I think that the changes also make recruiting better at division 2 and 3. Recruiting is the most important part of the game, so making it more realistic is good for everyone.
3/6/2016 3:40 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 3/6/2016 3:40:00 PM (view original):
I think that the changes also make recruiting better at division 2 and 3. Recruiting is the most important part of the game, so making it more realistic is good for everyone.
No offense, but there is no proven correlation between how much like real life an element of HD is and how fun or effective it is...In fact, a lot of things that are like "real life" have been removed because they suck in the game...
3/6/2016 5:05 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 3/6/2016 5:05:00 PM (view original):
No offense, but there is no proven correlation between how much like real life an element of HD is and how fun or effective it is...In fact, a lot of things that are like "real life" have been removed because they suck in the game...
unfortunately I missed out on the time I could've had the chance to offer cocaine and hookers to my schools....
3/6/2016 5:27 PM
I've been out of HD for over 2 years after what i would call a semi-success at the D1 level.. just came back and started seeing all these proposed changes.. I might be in the minority here, but just wanted to throw some things out there and see if some of you guys that have been playing the past few years may know...
1) Sounds like the recruit signing 'random-ness' is an attempt to make this process like real life.. Are we sure we want to emulate real life? Cause in real life the top players already have their top 5 schools in mind.. If we were to know which players had interest in our programs, it would create dynamic battles amongst the top programs in the world. After all, real life top recruits arent really thinking about the random-ness of playing at Iona.
2) Early entries.. When I left the game 2 years back I couldnt stand how my teams success in the NT would make a back-up player leave for the draft only to be the 40 something-ish player taken in the draft. Has this changed? Was anything put into the game to ***** the value of the the player leaving early? Ive seen the draft board of potential players leaving.. why would any player leave for a non-guaranteed mid to late 2nd round pick?
3) Isnt the point of this game to build our programs and coach against each-other? I believe one of the developers contradicted themselves.. I read somewhere that they said this game is not 100% based on Recruiting.. Scheduling (to get an at-large), Recruiting (good players) and Game Planning is what makes this game fun. My point about the contradiction is if the developers add a 'random-ness' to recruits signing, then wouldnt Recruiting process become a major luck factor in the game? if i want to play a major luck factor game I'll play powerball.. Developers, please understand, we play this game to become good at it.. If you continue to make this game random, the real coaches will bounce and the mediocre compilers will reign. Oh wait, thats where the majority of the money comes from, the guys that cant recruit, cant game plan and cant win to earn credits.. So the Developers are throwing those guys a bone?
3/6/2016 5:34 PM
I'd say the fact that it's a basketball game to begin with is a pretty important correlation. Just because some elements of realism make the game less fun doesn't mean that realism doesn't have merit.
3/6/2016 7:14 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 3/6/2016 7:14:00 PM (view original):
I'd say the fact that it's a basketball game to begin with is a pretty important correlation. Just because some elements of realism make the game less fun doesn't mean that realism doesn't have merit.
True, but the converse is also true - just because some thing is realistic doesn't mean that it is good for the game. The comment my response quoted says that making recruiting more realistic is good for everyone, and there is no basis in fact for this claim on its face.
3/6/2016 7:40 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14|15 Next ▸
Reactionary posts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.