IBA D2 Season 85 Topic

CSULA is ridiculous - its them and then everyone else.

Again - kudos to Anderson and carson - amazing undefeated season - the great coaching is masking the good but not amazing talent - but going undefeated in the CVAC is no small feat.

The top 3 seeds in the East are all extremely strong, and either of them could win. I think IW takes it, though...but they will run into some competition in the elite 8.

The Midwest region might not have a dominant team, but the top 7 seeds are all very difficult - the top half of that region has a lot of depth. Bowie being a 5 and U of Indy being a 7 is scary. Might be the strongest region overall, but not necessarily at the top.

Hillsdale could be a big challenge, but I believe that CSULA obviously destroys everything and everyone in their path in the South. They win every game in the South by 15 or more most likely, except for maybe a game vs. a strong Hillsdale team. Hillsdale was screwed with a 3 seed IMO, and would likely win the west and could possibly win the midwest.

I think #3 Philadelphia could actually win the West, which is most likely the weakest of the 4 regions in my opinion.

4/7/2016 6:11 PM
no kidding. Cal State LA is freaking loaded. Not often do you see a 700+ rated team in D2. But I do hope we advance and get shot at them in 2nd round.

I think you overlooked Lander and N Florida. I see both of them making Final 4 run or better.
4/7/2016 9:19 PM (edited)
Harding knocked out in 1st round. If you sort the entire D2 in PE, BH, and P. Harding ranks 1st, 11th, and 7th. Yet we commit turnovers and can't throw it in the ocean in the NT for second consecutive year. Add to that we double-team his stud and he still hits 50% of his shots and leads everyone in game in scoring. smh

@davefilby survived the 1/16 upset when his opponent missed buzzer-beater from half court.

Undefeated Anderson forces a turnover as the clock runs out to hang on to win by 2.

Northeastern St upset by 1 point to St Edward's. The impact of this doubles as these 2 teams recruit against each other. This one especially hurts as Northeastern St's stud center blew a dunk with 35 seconds left. St Edward's goes up one with 8 seconds left. Then NE State PG gets shot blocked to end game.
4/8/2016 8:54 AM (edited)
Posted by hackerhog on 4/7/2016 9:19:00 PM (view original):
no kidding. Cal State LA is freaking loaded. Not often do you see a 700+ rated team in D2. But I do hope we advance and get shot at them in 2nd round.

I think you overlooked Lander and N Florida. I see both of them making Final 4 run or better.
Lander's roster isn't as impressive this season, but they just keep winning - great coaching as always.

N. Florida is always really strong as well - they're pretty much beating up on everyone but lander.

I agree, they are 2 major contenders.
4/8/2016 9:32 AM
Posted by bbunch on 4/8/2016 9:32:00 AM (view original):

Lander's roster isn't as impressive this season, but they just keep winning - great coaching as always.

N. Florida is always really strong as well - they're pretty much beating up on everyone but lander.

We are depth free, haha. We drew the worst possible type of matchup in round 2, I expect this is the end of the run for us. Older pressing team will make mincemeat out of my depth. We aren't a title contender, we have been pretty fortunate to have had the season we did. North Florida is getting on a roll though, they could easily make another F4 run!
4/8/2016 9:48 AM
Posted by getbedarded on 4/8/2016 9:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bbunch on 4/8/2016 9:32:00 AM (view original):

We are depth free, haha. We drew the worst possible type of matchup in round 2, I expect this is the end of the run for us. Older pressing team will make mincemeat out of my depth. We aren't a title contender, we have been pretty fortunate to have had the season we did. North Florida is getting on a roll though, they could easily make another F4 run!
Turns out St. Cloud St. doesn't press. That's what I get for trying to gameplan on my little iPhone 5s.
4/8/2016 10:03 AM
Posted by hackerhog on 4/8/2016 8:54:00 AM (view original):
Harding knocked out in 1st round. If you sort the entire D2 in PE, BH, and P. Harding ranks 1st, 11th, and 7th. Yet we commit turnovers and can't throw it in the ocean in the NT for second consecutive year. Add to that we double-team his stud and he still hits 50% of his shots and leads everyone in game in scoring. smh

@davefilby survived the 1/16 upset when his opponent missed buzzer-beater from half court.

Undefeated Anderson forces a turnover as the clock runs out to hang on to win by 2.

Northeastern St upset by 1 point to St Edward's. The impact of this doubles as these 2 teams recruit against each other. This one especially hurts as Northeastern St's stud center blew a dunk with 35 seconds left. St Edward's goes up one with 8 seconds left. Then NE State PG gets shot blocked to end game.
I did NOT enjoy reading that play-by-play. It's like we've forgotten how to play defense the last two games, giving up 58.8% from the floor last night after 57.4% the game before. Opponents (4th on SOS) are now "up" to 41.7% shooting on the season.
4/8/2016 11:04 AM

Yeah, I surely wasn't expecting to win that game, your team did shoot surprisingly poor. We were really just playing for the right to lose to Los Angeles, eh?
4/8/2016 11:28 AM

Thats a very good point on the recruiting impact. These are dark days in Tahlequah. Sorry to see you exit early. You did a great job putting that team together.
4/8/2016 2:23 PM
I really like North Florida as I said, and they did get their revenge on Lander. I think Bistiza can be upset, I'd never bet against CSU Los Angeles. The team is packed.

My sleeper to win it all is Rockhurst.

And my longshot is Ohio Valley.
4/8/2016 2:37 PM (edited)
North Florida is the only major upset in the first 2 rounds. Didn't see them going out that early. Still like CSULA, but who knows?

The two midwest matchups are extremely interesting, Rockhurst is considered a big sleeper vs. Anderson coming out of the CVAC undefeated....and then Lander/Bowie St. is a game between two classic DII Iba powers....often a matchup like that would be in the final four.

I still think that Philadelphia is the true sleeper....but the true test of that is tonight's matchup vs. St. Mary's.
4/9/2016 9:59 PM
Nothing like losing when your opponent shoots 42%, makes zero 3s, and shoots 61% from the free throw line. And you out rebound them by 19. And their press manages to commit 1 foul in the first 11 minutes of the second half, while your zone commits 7. And your starting PG, he of the 8 TOs manages to commit a NON-SHOOTING foul with no time on the clock in a tie game. IQ should be immediately reduced to F. But no, I'm not bitter. Excuse me while I go buy a dog so I can kick it. GL to almost everyone left.
4/10/2016 9:40 AM
tough way to go out dave - a lot of close games in the S16. It's amazing how some players just collapse like that in HD. .

On the other side of the "luck" coin, jtreeves is having a fun tourney - his #8 Wayne St. team have won their 3 tourney games by a combined total of 5 points, and now they're sitting pretty in the Elite 8.
4/10/2016 1:10 PM (edited)
.........and that's is reason I stopped contributing to the forums. If it wasn't for family members playing I wouldn't bother even participating in HD anymore. I do appreciate bbunch's realistic take last season in the tourney when we met head to head. Nothing to see here except the same griefing season after season....skim through it.....and move on....
4/10/2016 2:13 PM
Posted by bbunch on 4/10/2016 1:10:00 PM (view original):
tough way to go out dave - a lot of close games in the S16. It's amazing how some players just collapse like that in HD. .

On the other side of the "luck" coin, jtreeves is having a fun tourney - his #8 Wayne St. team have won their 3 tourney games by a combined total of 5 points, and now they're sitting pretty in the Elite 8.
The crazy thing about this tourney is how chalk it's been. Had a 13-4 upset, an 8-1, but other than that not too many crazy outcomes. Historically that hasnt been the case in Iba D2.
4/10/2016 2:20 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
IBA D2 Season 85 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.