https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=13127468

Is this just a combination of high ATH, no threes, and nice speed?

Am I missing something? 46 fouls is a lot.
5/18/2016 3:39 PM
i think myers is trying to break the game lol....

seriously, myers is exposing some major engine flaws with that squad in particular . That's a pretty unstoppable DIII squad that has no idea how to shoot, dribble, or pass.

5/18/2016 4:10 PM
It's a combination of insanely high athleticism, insanely good defense, good stamina, and good rebounding. His speed is merely OK. His starting PG only has 59 speed, which isn't that great for a senior PG.

Imagine facing a team with a roster full of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist clones running up and down the floor on you and that is what he is trying to create: pure athletic chaos. It is designed so you don't ever catch your breath. The man has 14 national titles, so it obviously works.
5/18/2016 4:14 PM
Posted by bbunch on 5/18/2016 4:10:00 PM (view original):

seriously, myers is exposing some major engine flaws with that squad in particular . That's a pretty unstoppable DIII squad that has no idea how to shoot, dribble, or pass.

But when you think about it, it would work in real life if you took a bunch of guys who were low-level D1 athletes but had very little basketball skills, put them in a full court press/fastbreak system and unleashed havoc, you would consistently be one of the best D3 teams in the country. Most D3 players are slow white guys who have a ton of skills, but lack the speed/athleticism to get a scholarship. A team of athletic defensive-minded beasts could beat them.

The difference is that if every HD team were coached by a human who knew what they were doing, a lot of myers's guys would end up in D2 or low-level D1 (which is what happens in real life...those players would be recruited D1/D2 and redshirted to aid in skill development or simply turned into defensive stoppers). But he can pull/drop those guys down because he isn't competing against enough coaches who could steal those players away.
5/18/2016 4:21 PM
Really cool. i really like that teams can win in a variety of ways. A key also is free throws a FT%... that team shot 78% from.the line on 1600+ FTA.
5/18/2016 4:31 PM
Posted by grimacedance on 5/18/2016 4:21:00 PM (view original):

But when you think about it, it would work in real life if you took a bunch of guys who were low-level D1 athletes but had very little basketball skills, put them in a full court press/fastbreak system and unleashed havoc, you would consistently be one of the best D3 teams in the country. Most D3 players are slow white guys who have a ton of skills, but lack the speed/athleticism to get a scholarship. A team of athletic defensive-minded beasts could beat them.

The difference is that if every HD team were coached by a human who knew what they were doing, a lot of myers's guys would end up in D2 or low-level D1 (which is what happens in real life...those players would be recruited D1/D2 and redshirted to aid in skill development or simply turned into defensive stoppers). But he can pull/drop those guys down because he isn't competing against enough coaches who could steal those players away.
I'm going to have to disagree on your statement that a bunch of athletes with no basketball skills would beat a D3 basketball team. I believe you, like the game engine, are seriously overestimating the value of pure athleticism. Just my 2 cents though.
5/18/2016 4:32 PM
Posted by tgblackw on 5/18/2016 4:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by grimacedance on 5/18/2016 4:21:00 PM (view original):

I'm going to have to disagree on your statement that a bunch of athletes with no basketball skills would beat a D3 basketball team. I believe you, like the game engine, are seriously overestimating the value of pure athleticism. Just my 2 cents though.
I've given it more thought and I don't think I'm wrong here. I've seen plenty of real-life D3 hoops (ex-sportswriter). If you took 12 super athletic players -- who were also superb defenders -- and put them in a full court press, they would do exactly what meyers' teams do. They would cause a mess of turnovers because most D3 teams wouldn't be able to move the ball past midcourt against them. They would get a ton of easy points off layups and get fouled in the process. And they would struggle to run a halfcourt offense.

And while they would be highly successful, they wouldn't win the national title every year. If they played a highly disciplined team that could break the press, get the ball up the court and turn the game into one primarily played in the halfcourt, they would probably lose. It would take a team with great ballhandlers who were athletic/speedy enough to handle the constant doubleteams. Kind of like the teams that beat Dickinson in the NT.

Meyers has done incredibly well, but he hasn't unlocked a cheat code for an automatic title. What meyers does is unrealistic in the sense that a RL D3 coach could never hoard such incredible athletes in recruiting because low major D1/D2s would pick them up.
5/18/2016 7:08 PM
Myers wins with elite ATH/DEF/*STAMINA* and upperclassmen. Stamina is just as important on this type of team as any other category. You don't like it? Beat him (which I've posited on here many times is not really difficult to do whenever he doesn't have 9+ upperclassmen). I personally don't like it because I view it as sacrificing competiveness for a shot at a title in maybe 2 out of 4 seasons if everything goes right, and I personally respect guys who are competitive every season, but he has pretty much maxed out this kind of strategy which does deserve props.

editL: what world is that? If he IS competing every season then with all due respect this world stinks.
5/18/2016 7:48 PM (edited)
Posted by jsajsa on 5/18/2016 7:48:00 PM (view original):
Myers wins with elite ATH/DEF/*STAMINA* and upperclassmen. Stamina is just as important on this type of team as any other category. You don't like it? Beat him (which I've posited on here many times is not really difficult to do whenever he doesn't have 9+ upperclassmen). I personally don't like it because I view it as sacrificing competiveness for a shot at a title in maybe 2 out of 4 seasons if everything goes right, and I personally respect guys who are competitive every season, but he has pretty much maxed out this kind of strategy which does deserve props.

editL: what world is that? If he IS competing every season then with all due respect this world stinks.
Hey! That's my world... :(
5/18/2016 8:08 PM
Nobody mentioning the B average of all his upperclassman from the stripe. The game plan is going to be get fouled, get turnovers, win game. ANd that team is gonna do it. Nightly.
5/18/2016 11:23 PM
I respect myers teams. He has a plan and he sticks with it. It is not that easy to recruit guys with that ATH/DEF/STA and FT%. And he does usually have decent rebounders as well. And his strategy is no worse than the 6-6-0-0 or 6-0-6-0 super classes. He has found a way to win games and go deep into the NT. I think that IS the PURPOSE of the game, right?
5/18/2016 11:42 PM
Maybe they should rename the game Track Star Dynasty?
5/19/2016 12:02 AM
Sorry, but with those kind of BH/Pass ratings, that team should be averaging way over 17.5 TO's per night. In fact, if they managed to steal the ball anywhere besides right under the opposition basket, there should be a decent chance that they'd turn the ball over on their ensuing possession. Just another example of how skewed the engine is towards Ath/Def.

To the post above that said it's cool that he's able to win in a different way, he's not. He's just taken the whole "Ath/Def" to near about it's most extreme level. He's not doing anything different then what's written in the How to Win at D2/D3 thread, he's just doing it at a hyper extreme level. Not to begrudge him, he's found a strategy that is very, very effective but he's also proven almost single handed that certain elements in the game engine need to be reined in.

Between the extreme Ath/Def teams (of which I tend to be contributor) and the 6/6/0/0 or 6/0/6/0 type teams, it's almost getting to the point where if a "normal" team wants to compete they have to sell out to one of those type strategies or face early NT exits, at best, every season. Oh sure, it's not impossible to win with different team set-ups, but it's becoming more and more difficult as more and more coaches sell out and go that route. Just a grumpy old man's two cents.
5/19/2016 12:14 AM (edited)
I don't think it's as bad as emy does.

This is myers KNIGHT team
Name Yr. Pos. A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT OVR
Ralph Thompson Sr. PG 79 68 1 82 3 24 54 57 57 37 89 58 C 609
John Coldwell Sr. PG 85 54 32 92 3 13 11 46 28 70 87 39 B 560
Neil Lawrence Sr. PG 80 54 4 91 11 3 36 42 19 25 65 55 B- 485
Matthew Langford Fr. SG 68 50 8 56 2 1 50 36 35 39 78 71 C 494

Thompson is a fine PG and the other guys aren't AWFUL. I am kinda agree with jsajsa but want to also feel when he has a real PG (like thompson) his teams are much harder to beat. He doesn't always.
5/19/2016 8:52 AM
Who's a better rebounder?

100 ATH
0 REB

0 ATH
100 REB

5/19/2016 10:41 AM
123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.