The Beta -- a blog Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/11/2016 10:50:00 AM (view original):
It's different. If you don't want to change your approach to the game you won't like it.
Exactly. I didn't like it at first glance, just like fd343ny, but as you learn your way around it has a lot of promise. Of course, some people will not try and then blame seble -- LOL at that.
6/12/2016 10:06 AM
if i took a **** in a cup and gave it to you, you'd say it had a lot of promise as a chocolate desert
6/12/2016 11:00 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 6/11/2016 1:25:00 PM (view original):
fd343ny - They are constantly changing things. They have already adjusted colors once, and numerous other things have been adjusted. I'd give it a try for a bit. I am seeing some who were not in favor originally starting to come around. I don't think an hour is enough time to make a good judgement on it yet. Plus, you got a really late start and it would be really discouraging to start after signings in the current world as well. At least with the Beta, some players are programmed to want to wait until late to sign, so you may still have a shot at some decent talent. But, I'd give it a bit of time before you decide. There are some really solid suggestions by a lot of coaches on how to improve it, and I do see a willingness on Seble's part to make tweaks that will make this very appealing.

I wasn't around at the time when potential was introduced, but from what I have read, a lot of coaches were resistant to that change, and that was a good one. If you enjoy HD, I'd definitely give it a try because you may end up really liking it once you get used to it.
who has come around?
6/12/2016 11:10 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/12/2016 11:00:00 AM (view original):
if i took a **** in a cup and gave it to you, you'd say it had a lot of promise as a chocolate desert
Ian, what are you doing, man? The constant flooding of unnecessary ignorant feuds needs to stop! SM me dude.
6/12/2016 11:36 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/12/2016 11:10:00 AM (view original):
fd343ny - They are constantly changing things. They have already adjusted colors once, and numerous other things have been adjusted. I'd give it a try for a bit. I am seeing some who were not in favor originally starting to come around. I don't think an hour is enough time to make a good judgement on it yet. Plus, you got a really late start and it would be really discouraging to start after signings in the current world as well. At least with the Beta, some players are programmed to want to wait until late to sign, so you may still have a shot at some decent talent. But, I'd give it a bit of time before you decide. There are some really solid suggestions by a lot of coaches on how to improve it, and I do see a willingness on Seble's part to make tweaks that will make this very appealing.

I wasn't around at the time when potential was introduced, but from what I have read, a lot of coaches were resistant to that change, and that was a good one. If you enjoy HD, I'd definitely give it a try because you may end up really liking it once you get used to it.
who has come around?
I've read several very respected coaches on the Beta forum who said they were skeptical at first, but can see a lot of potential in the update if a few things are worked out. But, I'd rather not name them on here, unless they want to post themselves, because I don't want them to get blasted for stating a positive opinion. Progress is being made though.

There are still those who don't like it, but some of them will come around if certain changes are made, such as the ability to not snipe eBay style at the end of each cycle, if the randomness of choosing who to sign with in a battle is dialed back somewhat, if there is a solution for those who have EES, and if there is a better way to predict if a player will sign early or late. These seem to be the biggest points of contention right now. But I know I have read several people who say that at first they were not that enthused about the sound of the changes, but are liking them more, now that they are actually seeing how they work.
6/12/2016 12:19 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/12/2016 11:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by taggl on 6/12/2016 11:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/12/2016 11:00:00 AM (view original):
Ian, what are you doing, man? The constant flooding of unnecessary ignorant feuds needs to stop! SM me dude.
shitpost praising seble gets a shitpost bashing said idiot
Really? No one called you an idiot especially me so c'mon, SM and lets talk.
6/12/2016 12:27 PM
no im calling coachdud an idiot
6/12/2016 12:33 PM
Threw two players under the bus...well, cut them for the dead weight they were this past season....and entered into the second recruiting phase.

Only to discover that you get no AP's for rescinded scholarships, because, you know, no coach is ever going to give recruits attention after creating a vacancy on the roster. File that under "narratives that make sense like the #17 PF signing early with a D3." Okay, my morning pre-Mountain Dew snark is now out of the way....

So, anyhow, two openings, no APs to generate interest and help me unlock a kid's home and campus visits. My first thought -- is this even going to be possible or did I just assure myself of two walk-ons??!? (hey, at least I'd get AP's for THOSE...) So, I started running through my recruit pool trying to locate people who were at least a C overall with a D work ethic at Level 2 that nobody else was trying to sign and popped them to Level 3/4...started close to home and just worked away until I had a pool of 4 bodies. Scholarship offered all of them (because what else am I going to do since I have no AP's??!?)

One flipped immediately and allowed me to home visit, which I did. That unlocked the campus visit and minutes. Both done, because he really will be a nice big when his green ATH and REB have a chance to develop. Another player allowed a home visit. Gave ti to him as well after a cycle. The other two just sat there.

And then nightfall came and no other actions were taken. Dawn broke and the big guy signed with me as did the SF to whom I had given a home visit. That's it. Yawn. Recruiting done. The tally is now 8 players signed on less than $3,000. Again, I really think it's too easy and will only be more so when we move out of worlds that are as populated up top like the beta world. D2 and D3 will have a massive influx of player talent under this system. People who are willing to dodge the mosh pits of folks going after top talent will be able to snap off several good players unchallenged as people congregate around the lightning rod players.

My other issue is still the speed of cycles and the seemingly low level of need to sign people. We've been told to have backup options, but both times I've had backup options in hand the system has shifted into signing mode so fast I've had no control over who actually signs! Whoops, Plan B just got signed before Plan A made up his mind. Whoops, 4 players just got added to your roster while you were asleep last night.

Yeah, OCCASIONALLY I've set an alarm every 3 hours to check on recruits I'm battling for under the current system. It's not something I want to have to do every recruiting season though...and I feel like I have to or else run the risk of discovering that all 3 of my backup point guards have signed while my post offers were still trying to figure out their lives and now I have a glaring hole in the rebounding department or something.

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but it really feels like we're moving in the wrong direction here as I evaluate the aftermath of second recruiting cycle.
6/14/2016 12:51 PM
I agree Rednu on the speed of cycles in the recruiting,but I Assume that is simply a Beta thing and trying to rush thru to find as many bugs as possible before actual implementation. Implementation I think will also be rushed thru as well, so system may have bugs for quite a few seasons of paying
6/14/2016 1:34 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 6/12/2016 12:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/12/2016 11:10:00 AM (view original):

who has come around?
I've read several very respected coaches on the Beta forum who said they were skeptical at first, but can see a lot of potential in the update if a few things are worked out. But, I'd rather not name them on here, unless they want to post themselves, because I don't want them to get blasted for stating a positive opinion. Progress is being made though.

There are still those who don't like it, but some of them will come around if certain changes are made, such as the ability to not snipe eBay style at the end of each cycle, if the randomness of choosing who to sign with in a battle is dialed back somewhat, if there is a solution for those who have EES, and if there is a better way to predict if a player will sign early or late. These seem to be the biggest points of contention right now. But I know I have read several people who say that at first they were not that enthused about the sound of the changes, but are liking them more, now that they are actually seeing how they work.
IF.
6/14/2016 5:25 PM
Honestly I don't get this Snipe bit......The whole Recruiting is so random...a lower prestige may win..a lesser effort, a player that likes an offense and has a WE of 12 may sign, a div ! will sign with only a an offer of a scholly? Instead of a bidding war we have a lottery....with no odds given....I Personally enjoy the effort, gamesmanship and strategy of the old system..this is pure throw a dart...Aim high if in Div2 or 3
6/14/2016 5:35 PM
Posted by taniajane on 6/14/2016 1:34:00 PM (view original):
I agree Rednu on the speed of cycles in the recruiting,but I Assume that is simply a Beta thing and trying to rush thru to find as many bugs as possible before actual implementation. Implementation I think will also be rushed thru as well, so system may have bugs for quite a few seasons of paying
I've seen nothing that leads me to think the 3 hour cycles won't be the norm -- I don't think it's a function of the beta world. The expedited time frame to scout players is beta-specific, but I don't think the recruiting phase has been sped up at all (which is why the game doesn't get accelerated through those days...it just runs its normal speed.

I did think I'd heard sable say something about possibly going from 3 hour to 6 or 8 hour cycles, but I can't find where in the myriad of threads on the beta that comment may have been (or maybe it's hiding over here somewhere and that's why I haven't been able to find it...). Either of those time frames would be fine by me...I don't think we need more than 8 hours per cycle considering how quickly most of the recruits seem to go from first contact to signing. I'm not sure how long the multi-player battles for, say, the best player in the country, are taking to resolve, but I'm not sure I've had a player linger longer than 12 hours from first contact to signed, sealed, delivered in my recruiting. And I think I've done a decent job of pulling in a D2 recruiting class that's a notch above what I can get comparably under the current system.
6/14/2016 7:39 PM
Posted by rednu on 6/14/2016 7:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 6/14/2016 1:34:00 PM (view original):
I've seen nothing that leads me to think the 3 hour cycles won't be the norm -- I don't think it's a function of the beta world. The expedited time frame to scout players is beta-specific, but I don't think the recruiting phase has been sped up at all (which is why the game doesn't get accelerated through those days...it just runs its normal speed.

I did think I'd heard sable say something about possibly going from 3 hour to 6 or 8 hour cycles, but I can't find where in the myriad of threads on the beta that comment may have been (or maybe it's hiding over here somewhere and that's why I haven't been able to find it...). Either of those time frames would be fine by me...I don't think we need more than 8 hours per cycle considering how quickly most of the recruits seem to go from first contact to signing. I'm not sure how long the multi-player battles for, say, the best player in the country, are taking to resolve, but I'm not sure I've had a player linger longer than 12 hours from first contact to signed, sealed, delivered in my recruiting. And I think I've done a decent job of pulling in a D2 recruiting class that's a notch above what I can get comparably under the current system.
there is a current poll question posted by seble where 6 hour cycles is leading.

ETA: considerably...

It's been suggested a few times to make recruiting cycles every 6 hours instead of 3. What's the group preference?
Every 3 hours

39%

Every 6 hours

61%
Votes: 18
(Last vote received: 6/14/2016 7:44 PM)
6/14/2016 7:44 PM
six hours is close to reality,,,,,people have lives and should not be a penalty for a game
6/14/2016 7:49 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...16 Next ▸
The Beta -- a blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.