D-1 C prestige vs D-2 A prestige. Topic

Spud is right. D1 has the edge. It's a waste to battle a d1 team unless you are ready to go all in
9/13/2016 7:44 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/13/2016 7:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 9/13/2016 7:44:00 AM (view original):
Spud is right. D1 has the edge. It's a waste to battle a d1 team unless you are ready to go all in
Going all in doesn't even matter. That's my point.
And you know that for a fact? Have any examples to share?
9/13/2016 7:56 AM
Yes, it is a fact. I may share my example shortly.
9/13/2016 8:25 AM
Posted by Benis on 9/13/2016 6:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/13/2016 12:32:00 AM (view original):
In beta now, a D+ D1 team, even with poor preference match-ups, will easily take a recruit from an A- D2 team with +4 preference match-ups. It isn't even close. They aren't even on the same planet. Division is all that matters. Division trumps all preferences.

Surprise! Seble went waaaay overboard on D1 prestige and the division modifier. D1 is still it's own little world. Thanks for nothing, Seble.
Except that's how it should be in my opinion. I think most people would agree that a D1 school should win.
You know, I'm really sorry Johnny Jones (if you don't know who he is look him up) but my son, Ben Simmons, had decided that Incarnate Word's benefits including 20 visits to my home, one visit to the campus, calling us non-stop for a total of 2,587 attention points, a promised start, a promised 35 minutes, and 4 very good preferences including: wants rebuild, far from home, man, and strong defense is no match for you being a DI school and is offering my cousin a job. Also, tell Coach K im sorry too , he would just would rather play for Varbrt Hubnukell at Incarate Word.

Best Wishes,
Ben Simpson's Dad
9/13/2016 3:20 PM (edited)
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/13/2016 8:48:00 AM (view original):
In beta now, a D+ D1 team, even with poor preference match-ups, will easily take a recruit from an A- D2 team with +4 preference match-ups. It isn't even close. They aren't even on the same planet. Division is all that matters. Division trumps all preferences.

Surprise! Seble went waaaay overboard on D1 prestige and the division modifier. D1 is still it's own little world. Thanks for nothing, Seble.
Except that's how it should be in my opinion. I think most people would agree that a D1 school should win.
You know, I'm really sorry Johnny Jones (if you don't know who he is look him up) but my son, Ben Simmons, had decided that Incarnate Word's benefits including 20 visits to my home, one visit to the campus, calling us non-stop for a total of 2,587 attention points, a promised start, a promised 35 minutes, and 4 very good preferences including: wants rebuild, far from home, man, and strong defense is no match for you being a DI school and is offering your cousin a job. Also, sorry to Coach K I just would rather play for Varbrt Hubnukell at Incarate Word.

Best Wishes,
Ben Simpson's Dad
Huh?
9/13/2016 10:51 AM
You can share the example now Spud. The Beta will close down before the recruit in question ever gets on campus.

Some of the posts in this thread are just weird (but I haven't read too closely). In 2.0, almost any D1 team can beat almost any D2 team. No world is in 3.0 recruiting, so the answer is the D1 team should win. Unless we are talking about the Beta/3.0, then, unlike what Spud is saying, the gap has narrowed tremendously.

I wish I could get Spud to think about the overall structure of the game (or whoever the admin from WIS is right now...probably he/she more importantly), but a coach enters at D3 and works up, after a very long investment (a year...close to it even at [two a dayD2]), to get to D1. If bad D1 teams are battling top end D2 teams, then fine. However, if a rebuilding mid-major or Big 6 team has to put serious effort into beat a D2? That begs the question of structuring the game with D3 at all?
9/13/2016 11:06 AM (edited)
Posted by kcsundevil on 9/13/2016 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/13/2016 8:48:00 AM (view original):

You know, I'm really sorry Johnny Jones (if you don't know who he is look him up) but my son, Ben Simmons, had decided that Incarnate Word's benefits including 20 visits to my home, one visit to the campus, calling us non-stop for a total of 2,587 attention points, a promised start, a promised 35 minutes, and 4 very good preferences including: wants rebuild, far from home, man, and strong defense is no match for you being a DI school and is offering your cousin a job. Also, sorry to Coach K I just would rather play for Varbrt Hubnukell at Incarate Word.

Best Wishes,
Ben Simpson's Dad
Huh?
It was a joke making fun of the idea that a good D1 player would choose a D2 or D3 school based upon receiving more attention from them.
9/13/2016 11:17 AM
"I wish I could get Spud to think ...... "

You can just end the sentence there...
9/13/2016 11:22 AM
Posted by rogelio on 9/13/2016 11:06:00 AM (view original):
You can share the example now Spud. The Beta will close down before the recruit in question ever gets on campus.

Some of the posts in this thread are just weird (but I haven't read too closely). In 2.0, almost any D1 team can beat almost any D2 team. No world is in 3.0 recruiting, so the answer is the D1 team should win. Unless we are talking about the Beta/3.0, then, unlike what Spud is saying, the gap has narrowed tremendously.

I wish I could get Spud to think about the overall structure of the game (or whoever the admin from WIS is right now...probably he/she more importantly), but a coach enters at D3 and works up, after a very long investment (a year...close to it even at [two a dayD2]), to get to D1. If bad D1 teams are battling top end D2 teams, then fine. However, if a rebuilding mid-major or Big 6 team has to put serious effort into beat a D2? That begs the question of structuring the game with D3 at all?
" If bad D1 teams are battling top end D2 teams, then fine. "
You mean like a D+ D1 and an A- D2? That's my example. The problem is, D2 team has no chance to battle, that's my point.

" In 2.0, almost any D1 team can beat almost any D2 team. "
And that was supposedly changed in 3.0. It wasn't. Not even in beta now. That's my point. There is a huge gulf between toip D2 and bottom D1.

What is good for coaches transitioning from a lower level to the next level up is a bit of overlap. At least a top coach at a lower level can get a taste of playing with the mediocre talent at the next level. But instead there is a huge gulf. So many "veterans" whined and quit over having to learn a new game, but what about all the new coaches having to learn all over again every time they want to advance a level? Seble, you better look at this.

9/13/2016 1:50 PM
Spud, what's your example? I genuinely, honestly would like to be proven wrong on what I said above.
9/13/2016 2:03 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/13/2016 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rogelio on 9/13/2016 11:06:00 AM (view original):

" If bad D1 teams are battling top end D2 teams, then fine. "
You mean like a D+ D1 and an A- D2? That's my example. The problem is, D2 team has no chance to battle, that's my point.

" In 2.0, almost any D1 team can beat almost any D2 team. "
And that was supposedly changed in 3.0. It wasn't. Not even in beta now. That's my point. There is a huge gulf between toip D2 and bottom D1.

What is good for coaches transitioning from a lower level to the next level up is a bit of overlap. At least a top coach at a lower level can get a taste of playing with the mediocre talent at the next level. But instead there is a huge gulf. So many "veterans" whined and quit over having to learn a new game, but what about all the new coaches having to learn all over again every time they want to advance a level? Seble, you better look at this.

Look at what? I really don't understand the issue?

If I'm at D2 then I'm playing against other D2 teams. Meaning, I'm under the same constraints as my competition. If I get beat my D1 teams then so will my competition. So, I can just acknowledge this and build the best D2 team I can with guys who are either D2 or guys who make it by D1 teams.

Net- I can have a pretty sweet *** D2 team if I know what I'm doing.
9/13/2016 2:37 PM
See, there's the thing. I'm not going to argue your first point. That's your opinion. I may disagree, but that's fine.

The second point, however, assumes something never intended, but was an unintended side effect early in Beta. I never heard once that it was WIS' goal or priority to make the game competitive between divisions. The thing on the developer's agenda was clearly to make battles more attractive within divisions. The legitimate complaint about 2.0 recruiting was the clear disincentive to battling. I guess I never thought I needed to specify "against teams within your own division or conference".

The veteran trick had been to show as few battles as possible while recruiting. Anyone joined in 2 legitimate battles at once was evidently weak and a target. Sometimes it only took 1 to be the target of a late attack. There was even an INCENTIVE to wait until the signing cycle to attack a weak target...you needed to look strong on your 1 or 2 primary targets to avoid being targeted yourself. So, coaches learned to wait to poach on the signing cycle as a way of battle avoidance.

Now, WIS bent over backwards to make it possible to engage in battles...in fact, it's going to be nearly impossible not to battle. However, I do not agree in the slightest degree that it was WIS intention to fix some issue with D2 not being able to win battles against D1. There'd be no benefit to that change. They don't play each other! I'm sure that the big priority for the change was to fill up the considering lists like they are IRL. Not to make Michigan have to actually battle Vassar, or Catawba, or whatever...what would be the point? They do not play each other.

I guess I haven't thought about how the game will be "new" at each level. Maybe there is a perverse way that will be true. I bet the top 5 D3 teams each season will probably be better than D2 teams can be. However, it is very difficult to predict how it will actually turn out. Veterans are leaving mostly because the game they liked had a discrete recruiting period and a leisurely season. Now they are looking at a nebulous 'always on' proposition and they are letting their disappointment that their suggestions were not implemented and feeling burned out.

That and the game is definitely different if a clear cut & dry victory on a recruit may only give you a 70/30 chance or 60/40 chance of landing him. It could turn out to be a fun game, but the strategy is not clear.
9/13/2016 3:05 PM (edited)
Since he'll never show up on campus either way, the battle is D+ PENN STATE vs. A- REGIS. Regis has a fairly clear (and preferential) distance & man advantage. It's for the #36 OVR & #7 PF. He's overrated, but he's clearly Top 100 OVR.
9/13/2016 2:51 PM
Hmmmmm would I rather play in the Big Ten or play at Regis Butthole State

Tough choice.
9/13/2016 3:09 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
D-1 C prestige vs D-2 A prestige. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.