Question re: 2nd Recruiting Period Topic

Posted by snafu4u on 10/2/2016 3:56:00 PM (view original):
What happens to all the attention and effort poured into players in the first period? Do those players sign in the second period or are you starting over?
If you stay at a school all effort carries over. If you move schools then you lose it.
10/2/2016 4:10 PM
J : maybe they have decreased the odds of multiple players actually declaring for the draft? So keep us posted, I am curious to see how many go ees. I am pretty sure you will only lose two.
10/2/2016 4:13 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/2/2016 4:10:00 PM (view original):
What happens to all the attention and effort poured into players in the first period? Do those players sign in the second period or are you starting over?
If you stay at a school all effort carries over. If you move schools then you lose it.
I am the only very high on 3 recruits with "whenever" signing preference. I have a ton of AP and effort into each and no other school (all sims) is above very low. When should I expect them to sign? I feel like they should have signed at the end of the first cycle.
10/2/2016 4:14 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 10/2/2016 4:14:00 PM (view original):
I am the only very high on 3 recruits with "whenever" signing preference. I have a ton of AP and effort into each and no other school (all sims) is above very low. When should I expect them to sign? I feel like they should have signed at the end of the first cycle.
Whenever means it's basically random. Could be early or could be late. It's "whenever". Effort doesn't influence when they sign.

But what division are you and what division are the recruits? D1 won't sign with a D3 until last 24 hours. D2 won't sign with D3 until 2nd session. D1 won't sign with D2 until 2nd session. This is Spud's "red light".
10/2/2016 4:39 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/2/2016 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Whenever means it's basically random. Could be early or could be late. It's "whenever". Effort doesn't influence when they sign.

But what division are you and what division are the recruits? D1 won't sign with a D3 until last 24 hours. D2 won't sign with D3 until 2nd session. D1 won't sign with D2 until 2nd session. This is Spud's "red light".
I am high D1 - they are high D1 recruits. So the "whenever" preference is another dice roll? Crazy that effort has no influence. Is there any element of this game that rewards effort and skill anymore?

Kinda makes me think effort should be eliminated entirely from the game, and every player should just be recruited through a lottery process. Every team that wants a recruit puts a ball in the tumbler. Higher prestige teams get more balls. After a defined period where coaches have had a chance to get their balls in there, the tumbler rolls, the randomly pick a ball, and a teams signs the recruit. Doesn't seem that far off from what is happening in 3.0 already.
10/2/2016 4:45 PM
I think that all recruiting options (scholarship, start, visits, minutes) should immediately be available during the second recruiting period. If you don't sign in the first you should be open to anything.
10/2/2016 6:07 PM
Posted by jwinner5 on 10/2/2016 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by acn24 on 10/2/2016 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnsensing on 10/2/2016 10:29:00 AM (view original):
Really? That really seems to screw folks who have EEs.
That was an issue that was put forth during testing and which seble didn't want to address.
I have one open scholly and expect 4-5 EEs, which makes this system impossible. I guess they are doing their best to make sure that never happens again for elite teams.
I am in this spot with Colorado in Phelan. One opening and four guys on the fence. Makes it really difficult to recruit.
10/2/2016 6:08 PM
Posted by grecianfox on 10/2/2016 6:07:00 PM (view original):
I think that all recruiting options (scholarship, start, visits, minutes) should immediately be available during the second recruiting period. If you don't sign in the first you should be open to anything.
It opens up last 24 hours for players in your division.
10/2/2016 6:24 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 10/2/2016 4:45:00 PM (view original):

I am high D1 - they are high D1 recruits. So the "whenever" preference is another dice roll? Crazy that effort has no influence. Is there any element of this game that rewards effort and skill anymore?

Kinda makes me think effort should be eliminated entirely from the game, and every player should just be recruited through a lottery process. Every team that wants a recruit puts a ball in the tumbler. Higher prestige teams get more balls. After a defined period where coaches have had a chance to get their balls in there, the tumbler rolls, the randomly pick a ball, and a teams signs the recruit. Doesn't seem that far off from what is happening in 3.0 already.
part of the strategy in HD3 recruiting is going to be trying to evaluate the signing tendencies of the recruits you're looking at so you don't end up with no one in the first session. i didn't "get it" the first couple times in beta, but i see now how this can be a factor. you can like this or not, but it's not a random lottery. if you choose to recruit players who have the tendency "whenever" you are choosing to not know when they'll sign.

regarding EEs, while i do think this is going to be a massive problem the first couple seasons into HD3, it will diminish over time, as you can clearly see in the spread out signing of elite recuits. i think this is what seble suspected and why he didn't want to do anything rash. at the same time, i think throwing some extra jucos in the pool for the second session and having at least the first cycle of the second session involving no signings is a good idea. it can't hurt.

ultimately though, what was said in the dev chat may ring true--we need to change our perspective on the game and look it as HD3 with HD3 rules and situations, not through the lens of HD2 rules. elite teams may be filling out their teams with players they wouldn't touch before. these subpar HD2 players may be good bench players in HD3. that's not a bad thing if it trickles down across the board.
10/2/2016 7:56 PM (edited)
Posted by bathtubhippo on 10/2/2016 7:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by snafu4u on 10/2/2016 4:45:00 PM (view original):

part of the strategy in HD3 recruiting is going to be trying to evaluate the signing tendencies of the recruits you're looking at so you don't end up with no one in the first session. i didn't "get it" the first couple times in beta, but i see now how this can be a factor. you can like this or not, but it's not a random lottery. if you choose to recruit players who have the tendency "whenever" you are choosing to not know when they'll sign.

regarding EEs, while i do think this is going to be a massive problem the first couple seasons into HD3, it will diminish over time, as you can clearly see in the spread out signing of elite recuits. i think this is what seble suspected and why he didn't want to do anything rash. at the same time, i think throwing some extra jucos in the pool for the second session and having at least the first cycle of the second session involving no signings is a good idea. it can't hurt.

ultimately though, what was said in the dev chat may ring true--we need to change our perspective on the game and look it as HD3 with HD3 rules and situations, not through the lens of HD2 rules. elite teams may be filling out their teams with players they wouldn't touch before. these subpar HD2 players may be good bench players in HD3. that's not a bad thing if it trickles down across the board.
Yes, yes and YES. Excellent post.
10/2/2016 8:45 PM
Just a couple of bits of clarification ...
" Whenever means it's basically random ... " with a gradually increasing probability.

"But what division are you and what division are the recruits? D1 won't sign with a D3 until last 24 hours. D2 won't sign with D3 until 2nd session. D1 won't sign with D2 until 2nd session. This is Spud's 'red light'. " That is Seble's red light, most certainly not mine. I believe recruiting results should generally reward valid recruiting efforts, and this artificial, arbitrary, unnecessary restriction is the opposite of that.
10/2/2016 9:44 PM
You named it so its yours.
10/2/2016 9:58 PM
Posted by zorzii on 10/2/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):
J : maybe they have decreased the odds of multiple players actually declaring for the draft? So keep us posted, I am curious to see how many go ees. I am pretty sure you will only lose two.
I have four 'likely to go' and two others on the board. I'll consider it a huge victory with only 3 EEs.
10/2/2016 11:25 PM
Posted by jwinner5 on 10/2/2016 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by acn24 on 10/2/2016 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnsensing on 10/2/2016 10:29:00 AM (view original):
Really? That really seems to screw folks who have EEs.
That was an issue that was put forth during testing and which seble didn't want to address.
I have one open scholly and expect 4-5 EEs, which makes this system impossible. I guess they are doing their best to make sure that never happens again for elite teams.
and that is how the EE problem "fixes" itself, see?
10/3/2016 5:13 AM
◂ Prev 12
Question re: 2nd Recruiting Period Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.