Observation and question Topic

I gave up HD about 10 years ago. HBD came out, I liked it and hated HD recruiting. It wasn't a tough choice.

Nonetheless, WifS issued a credit so I got 10 guys from a HBD world to join the same HD conference. I've been following the HD forums hoping to pick up a tidbit or two. So my observation is that most of the complaining is centered around "What I used to do doesn't work now." I get that, we grumble about HBD changes, but obviously that wouldn't affect me.

My question is the product bad or just different? I don't have a "used to do." As a D3, I assume I don't have to worry about EE(which I think is early entry into the draft) which seems problematic. I ask because most of the posts are referring to D1 issues. It will be awhile, if I keep playing, before I have to address those.
11/8/2016 2:19 PM
It really depends on who you talk to. Personally, I think it's just different. Sure, there are things that need to be addressed, and I'm hopeful that they will be, eventually. I actually like the new recruiting system better. The best thing you can do is try it and form your own opinion.
11/8/2016 2:22 PM
Depending on what you didn't like about recruiting previously, you will either be pleasantly happy or of the opinion you descended into the eighth circle of Hell.

The game engine itself is still, IMO, quite good. It's just the trappings of finding the players to drop into that engine that has changed, much to the chagrin of many. Other things like EE's and the jobs logic come into play at D1, but you will be blissfully ignorant of both issues if you stay D3 or D2.

Like pallas said, just do like you would for any game -- poke around, try it out and see if you like it. I would, as much as possible, set aside preconceived notions about anything that happened the last time you played HD and just give it a shot. If it works for you, great! Screw what the others say then. If you still think it doesn't work for you, then walk away again knowing exactly that it isn't the game for you.
11/8/2016 2:30 PM
I think the game is fun and you guys will have a good time playing. The new stuff requires adjustments of course, but it's a good game.
11/8/2016 2:35 PM
It's a better game now. It's harder to manipulate and dominate at the high D1 level. D2 and D3 is still about finding and going after the best players available to you. Cream will rise to the top at all levels, but success will look more like real life, where even the most dominant teams need to fight hard for the top commodities to stay on top.

Keep in mind, by the time you reach D1, the early entry issue will probably look quite a bit different than it does now, where there are still teams losing lots of early entries recruited in the old system. Teams will have a harder time signing super-classes full of 4-5 star players. Landing such a class will require a lot of luck (winning all your RNG rolls) and comes at a price, because early entries are much harder to replace with equivalent talent now. Gameplay should adapt, and those who can't tolerate the adaptation will probably leave.

Im enjoying the hell out of 3.0. I know not everyone loves the changes, and probably few love it as much as I do. If you can handle the "fuzziness" of recruits, and the ambiguity of not being able to live draft your players in HBD, I suspect you'll adapt pretty quickly to HD 3.0. Always willing to help out if you have any questions.
11/8/2016 3:04 PM (edited)
It's a better game now if you prefer dice rolls to strategic control.
11/8/2016 7:24 PM
I have way more control now than ever ....
11/9/2016 1:24 PM
Seems to me that sims, or even sports, are sometimes a dice roll. In the sims, you try to build a 100. But you're still going to lose to a 40 every now and again. The 0-16 Lions would be the 17-0 Patriots every now and then if they kept playing.
11/9/2016 1:42 PM
It's worth trying out IMO. I would also like to hear what the you and the HBD converts think.
11/9/2016 2:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/9/2016 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Seems to me that sims, or even sports, are sometimes a dice roll. In the sims, you try to build a 100. But you're still going to lose to a 40 every now and again. The 0-16 Lions would be the 17-0 Patriots every now and then if they kept playing.
no they wouldnt
11/9/2016 2:33 PM
Yeah, they really would.
11/9/2016 2:41 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/9/2016 2:18:00 PM (view original):
It's worth trying out IMO. I would also like to hear what the you and the HBD converts think.
As stated, I hated recruiting. Haven't even started conference games. But I will certainly give a "fresh" view once S1(for me) ends.
11/9/2016 2:41 PM
Did you state that you hated the old recruiting? or you hate new recruiting?

In this version scouting and recruiting are way different than before.

It's all about putting yourself in a position to win as opposed to identifying situations you would win.
11/9/2016 2:51 PM
I gave up HD 10 years ago because I hated recruiting. Haven't done it since.
11/9/2016 2:57 PM
It is just different than 2.0. Some people do not like 3.0 for various reasons.

Recruiting can take more time or less time now, depending on how comfortable you are with what you are doing. Coming back in, you may not notice a difference in the time, because it has been so long since you played.

11/9/2016 3:49 PM
12 Next ▸
Observation and question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.