D3 won a battle against A- prestige D1 team Topic

Posted by gomiami1972 on 11/12/2016 7:08:00 PM (view original):
DI should have to only offer a scholarship to beat a DIII team. Anything else is absurd.
Yeah, if really like to see the #s on this. I wonder if it was a situation where the d1 team had multiple very bad and/or withdrew a scholarship or tagged acts or something.
11/12/2016 7:37 PM
That is not necessarily true. You guys do know you can offer more scholarships than you have openings, right?

If you have 3 openings, there is nothing stopping you from offering 10 scholarships (other than using APs to open the action). In the last 24 hours, you can offer anyone who is at or under your Division without having an opening. You could then cut a player and have them sign. So if there are unscrupulous coaches out there, they could tie up players with offers that they can't sign. I do not know if there is a limit (surely at least 12, as that is the most players on the team). Regardless, I have offer a scholarship to players that I was targeting as an upgrade, and if I get to Very High and no one else is on them, THEN I drop the guy I want them to replace and then they sign.

If a Div-1 team over offered and did not have space, the D3 team would get the player.
11/12/2016 9:27 PM (edited)
He did not. That does not apply to my situation. 3 openings and had 0 signings. 1 signed after a few cycles. Vandy was very low without a scholarship offer, moved to low when they offered a scholarship, and then ended as moderate when I signed him.

Meaning effort was put in, unknown as to what, and he had openings. Also, the scholarship was never withdrawn once as it was shown offered every cycle.
11/12/2016 10:11 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/12/2016 7:37:00 PM (view original):
DI should have to only offer a scholarship to beat a DIII team. Anything else is absurd.
Yeah, if really like to see the #s on this. I wonder if it was a situation where the d1 team had multiple very bad and/or withdrew a scholarship or tagged acts or something.
The game was designed to allow D3 to beat D1. That's the game now. That's the product WIS is selling.
11/13/2016 2:40 AM
Under rare circumstances. I would like to know the exact circumstances.
11/13/2016 8:13 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/13/2016 8:13:00 AM (view original):
Under rare circumstances. I would like to know the exact circumstances.
For me, 9 HVs, 1 CV, promised start, promised minutes, a lot of APs, like 1600 or so (ish). Dunno what he had. Preferences included success and near home (d1 school was probably 300 miles away). D1 school definitely offered a scholarship, but I don't know what else.
11/13/2016 11:50 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 11/13/2016 2:40:00 AM (view original):
The game was designed to allow D3 to beat D1. That's the game now. That's the product WIS is selling.
if all he did was offer a scholly on the last day, I have no issue with the DIII team that scouted him the whole way and put in HVs and a CV getting him.
11/13/2016 5:38 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/13/2016 5:38:00 PM (view original):
if all he did was offer a scholly on the last day, I have no issue with the DIII team that scouted him the whole way and put in HVs and a CV getting him.
+1
11/13/2016 6:07 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/13/2016 5:38:00 PM (view original):
I think we'll all have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't see how anyone can say anything about 'realism' when you have stuff like this happening. This is such a huge thing that is not realistic. At all. Maybe it's not THAT common, but we just got in to 3.0. I think it's going to be more common in 6 months from now.

On the other hand, you could argue that this is better for gameplay so realism doesn't matter. I'd agree with this but I don't see how this enhances gameplay.
11/13/2016 6:29 PM
I don't know.

HS star, who's been BMOC for 3-4 years, is getting all kinds of love from D3 U. D1 and D2 have completely ignored him. Then, when Kentucky loses a guy they thought they'd get, they call the kid on the last day and say "Yeah, you can be our 12th." Would said kid really go to Kentucky?
11/13/2016 6:41 PM
Without knowing the specifics, I don't know how we can conclude this is entirely unrealistic.

Say you're a good HS basketball player who wants to go to a good team and play for championships, and wants to stay close to home. You know you might scratch the top 1000 players in your class, and some folks think you can play D1, but you have no delusions about playing pro ball, at least not in the states.

A high level, local D3 college has invested a lot of time and resources into recruiting you, they've got a great coach, they're playing for championships every year. They've pretty much concinced you, but regulations prevent you from signing with this team until the end of the school year. Toward the end, a mid-level Big 6 school, who has lost out on all their targets comes calling, offering a scholarship and a chance to sit on the bench for 3 years, and maybe (if they don't cut you) you'll get some PT as an upperclassman.

Is this a Slam Dunk? Probably not. The championship level D3 matches some important preferences, and the chance to "be the man" on a high quality "small pond" team is enticing to a lot of guys who know they'll probably never get a paycheck for playing basketball.
11/13/2016 6:50 PM
I coached HS football and that stuff happens every now and then. I never saw Michigan come in and a kid say no but the directional CT team didn't always get a kids attention if he all ready started thinking he was going to go to Muhelberg. In many of those cases money wasn't an issue though. Kids either were getting a D3 grant or a "need based scholarship" OR there folks were able to pay their way.
11/13/2016 7:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/13/2016 6:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't know.

HS star, who's been BMOC for 3-4 years, is getting all kinds of love from D3 U. D1 and D2 have completely ignored him. Then, when Kentucky loses a guy they thought they'd get, they call the kid on the last day and say "Yeah, you can be our 12th." Would said kid really go to Kentucky?
Uh yeah. It's Kentucky. A full ride scholarship to play basketball for Coach Cal? You kidding me? Or pay you're own way at a D3 school. Well I suppose maybe the kid's parents might be professors at that school so maybe he gets tuition for free.. The example someone mentioned yesterday about Cronin complaining about UK poaching their players is real. UC recruits a guy for months and months. Then Cal shows up and offers a scholly and the dude signs right away. That's real.

Someone posted an example of a high D1 losing a player after promising a start. Promised start at say Syracuse or UConn or Michigan State or hell, even Boston College beats out a D3 school. Or what about promised 10 minutes. Playing 10 mpg as a freshman at UK doesn't sound appealing?

And the argument that the "player was ignored" by D1 doesn't hold water for me either because this recruiting system so doesn't resemble real life recruiting that it's a flawed argument to begin win. Not being able to fully scout/recruit players to replace EEs until they declare? Not close to real life.
11/13/2016 7:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/13/2016 6:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't know.

Not if he has integrity, and a clear sense of where he's going in life.
11/13/2016 7:18 PM
I suppose one could ignore real-life ego.

Lebron really enjoyed his free agency because everyone wanted him. He could have said "I'm going to South Beach" on Day 1 but he liked the process. It fed his ego.

So, what you're saying is that a kid whose **** didn't stink all thru HS will accept being 12th man at KY if they call him 3 hours before commitment time ends after not even letting him know he's on their radar. Sorry, that doesn't seem realistic at all.

That said, perhaps D3 should lose some guys to D2/D1 when they "outgrow" that school. Not sure if that's part of the game or not. Transfers.
11/13/2016 7:19 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
D3 won a battle against A- prestige D1 team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.