Posted by Benis on 11/21/2016 8:25:00 PM (view original):
The title of the thread is the Exodus. Shouldnt be a surprise to anyone what might be said here.
Is that the only thing said here? Is there any way we could make it where it's the only thing said here and the only place to say it?
11/21/2016 11:53 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 11/21/2016 10:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sweetpeapapa on 11/21/2016 6:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/21/2016 9:56:00 AM (view original):
Again, silliness. It's a game? That something I hadn't thought of.

It's a diversion from life. I hope anyone playing it is enjoying it. But "adversity" comes in many forms. It doesn't have to be cancer or the death of a family member. If something is worth complaining about, it is part of your REAL LIFE. It's a simple fact. The fact that you are typing out responses, consuming your REAL LIFE time, means it's part of your life.

Now, is the "adversity" placed in front of you by the game meaningful? Meh. But, if you're taking the time to tell everyone you're leaving, you hate it, you love it, etc, it's part of your life.
You and Spud really are a frustrating bunch. You can't seem to understand why people are leaving.

Here's the deal: I've recruited just fine if you care to look at my teams. In fact, I've recruited much better players than in 2.0, because you can. Everyone can. it's not hard to figure out how. WIS even provides instructions for how to recruit now. If you're a good coach in 2.0, you'll be a good coach in 3.0. But only if you take the extra time required. It is just that simple. None of the coaches that left failed to figure out 3.0, or left because this game is too complicated or beyond their intelligence. Nobody. That is important for you both to understand. Because this game has been simplified, requiring practically no actuall strategy.

People are leaving because they are frustrated. This is a completely different game, where the strategy has been mostly removed. This has made it easy for pretty much any coach to be successful if all they do is put in more TIME in than another coach, especially in recruiting.

Whomever runs this has been removing the strategy since 1.0, when they showed potentials in recruiting and team prestige. That took an insane amount of strategy out of the game. Any idiot can see how good the recruit will be now. It dumbified the game completely. That trend has continued and was accelerated with 3.0's release.

What we have now is a game devoid of any actual strategy aside from game planning and recruit evaluation (and the later is hardly strategic unless you're new to the game). It simply isn't worth playing anymore for longtime coaches, who loved the strategy of the first version, and put up with 2.0's changes.

So to conclude, this game now requires TIME not STRATEGY to be a good coach and have a successful team. I and pretty much every other coach who left didn't leave because they can't recruit in 3.0, but because recruiting is so time-consuming, simplified, drawn out, and unstrategic that it has become boring and not entertaining. That's a bad thing if this game is entertainment for all of us.

And BTW both of you obviously don't understand the word adversity. If you did, you'd realize your embarrassing yourself and your intellect by continuing to argue that people are leaving because this game has caused them adversity. Nobody needs to play this game, It's not fresh water, a loaf of bread, a paid electric bill, or a family wage job. It's optional entertainment that cost $$$.
This is a pretty poor assessment. I spend about the same amount of time recruiting now as I used to. You can spend as much time as you find enjoyable. The only people who think they need to spend more time are people who haven't adjusted to the new processes, and the people who *really* love new scouting.

You're mistaken that the strategy has been removed. I'm not saying you have to like it, but this trope is a massive cop out. I suspect you just don't like dealing with ambiguity and probabilities, and erroneously equate the fact that 51 no longer beats 49 100% of the time as a removal of strategy. It's actually adding layers of strategy. It puts more team-building strategies in play. It introduces more risk/reward scenarios, beyond knowing what battles you can't win and avoiding them. It emphasizes long term team planning, not just who can recruit the player with the highest numbers in x, y, and z categories. And because the elite commodities are likely to be distributed among more teams, the emphasis is back on actual gameplanning, which is where the strategy of a basketball simulation is supposed to be in the first place.

Some people don't want to learn a new game, and I understand. Some people are upset that their dynasty no longer enjoys the same advantages it had before, and I understand. Some people are just p!ssed at WIS, and have been looking for an excuse to bail, and that's fine with me. I don't think I've ever personally made the argument that 3.0 is too complicated for a significant number of users, though I think this is self-evidently true in at least a few cases. Like Mike, I don't care why you leave. I'm not obligated to care about what anyone else enjoys. The whole premise behind these exit troll threads, though, is based on a delusion; that WIS just hasn't thought this through and is making *a terrible mistake* because look at all those long time users gone! This just isn't reality. I guarantee you they expected attrition. I'm sure they'd rather you stick it out (if you're paying for seasons, anyway), but these kind of multi-player games have to go through periods of creative destruction from time to time. Games adjust, and players adapt, or they don't. If you don't want to, fine. Farewell. But exit trolling is lame.
You obviously don't know what you're doing if you think recruiting takes the same amount of time. That is just a complete joke and there us no way to argue it is factual. But you can think whatever you want, facts be damned. I'm sure its a normal part of your life to ignore facts...it's fashionable these days.

Your also confusing strategy with probability. It is actually EASIER to built a team now, at least in DIII and DII. Much easier. As long as you put in the time. The strategy is gone. And 3.0 will put a bigger divide between the good coaches and the coaches who think they are good and 3.0 has layers of strategy not found in 2.0. The game is simply too easy now. Maybe that is not the case in D1, I have no idea.

BTW, I love how instead of actually arguing me about what I presented, you try and turn it into a "I suspect you just don't like dealing with ambiguity and probabilities, and erroneously equate the fact that 51 no longer beats 49 100%" type of argument. Then go on to argue that as if it has any bearing on my decision or the fact this game is strategy-less now.

Honestly, I think you, Mike and Spud all know this game lacks real strategy now. There is no way you're all the stupid. That's why you won't debate the fact there simply isn't any strategy left aside from devoting time in recruiting. Instead you talk about anything but strategy and call it strategy. It is actually quite hilarious and entertaining to read and react to. Not enough to make me stay, but at least WIS is entertaining me somehow!
11/22/2016 1:43 AM
@sweetpeapapa: So, now with research and effort everyone can field a decent team and how to recruit is spelled out.. So now it's not only a few coaches who know the secret hand shake who can find good players. AND THAT IS SOMEHOW A BAD THING?

The whole purpose is to let coaches fill teams with players and compete.. And make it so with effort you can succeed. There is still plenty of strategy. Do you want to play high ath/Def like meyer.. Do you want to try a different strategy like sub SPD for ATH.

And what about recruiting takes so long now that did not before. He'll, in 1.0 all you needed to do was find some with good WE and most players could grow to anything you wanted in all good attributes. You could turn almost any player into a stud at any position. Every team was a super team and winning games was a complete coin flip.
11/22/2016 6:01 AM (edited)
Personally i have no problem with sweetpeapapa saying hes leaving and telling us why. Its interesting information to me.

and I get why people may not want to hear it. But the number of goodbye threads has gone down significantly in the past month. He only made one post in a 14 page thread. its not like he was spamming the forums over and over again. If you guys just let him say what he wanted to say then it would have remained one post. instead there are now several posts about it.. which is exactly what you dont want.
11/22/2016 6:27 AM
Benis, it's been said a hundred times. "IT'S ALL RANDOM", which is bullshit, has been repeated so many times, I think it's permanently ingrained in my thoughts the moment I read 7 words of the "farewell" post.

It's almost unbelievable that the complaining was worse a month ago. That alone would have been enough for me to either give up the game or ignore the forums(where all the "inside" information will be shared). It's just enough.
11/22/2016 7:00 AM
One more thing, there is strategy in the game. A veteran owner reached out to me, looked at my team, determined it was terrible but offered some advice. I employ it when I'm not a 30 pt dog and have won 3 of 4. So there is game strategy.

I don't know about recruiting. My first recruiting cycle in 10 years begins 11/27. I know, during my last few cycles, the "strategy" at VaTech was to hope Duke/UNC/KY/etc didn't start recruiting the guy I wanted. Because, if they did, I needed to find another guy. Then I could watch that guy put 20 on me every time we faced them. That was a lot of fun. Which is why I haven't had a recruiting cycle since 2006.

11/22/2016 7:34 AM
I am really interested in hearing what strategy has been removed?

Are your referring to the inability to "shape" recruits how you want because of potential?

Or identifying which recruits you can/should win and only recruit them?

I am at a loss on how the game is so much easier now and I have been a round since 1.0
11/22/2016 9:14 AM
Posted by sweetpeapapa on 11/22/2016 1:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 11/21/2016 10:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sweetpeapapa on 11/21/2016 6:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/21/2016 9:56:00 AM (view original):
Again, silliness. It's a game? That something I hadn't thought of.

It's a diversion from life. I hope anyone playing it is enjoying it. But "adversity" comes in many forms. It doesn't have to be cancer or the death of a family member. If something is worth complaining about, it is part of your REAL LIFE. It's a simple fact. The fact that you are typing out responses, consuming your REAL LIFE time, means it's part of your life.

Now, is the "adversity" placed in front of you by the game meaningful? Meh. But, if you're taking the time to tell everyone you're leaving, you hate it, you love it, etc, it's part of your life.
You and Spud really are a frustrating bunch. You can't seem to understand why people are leaving.

Here's the deal: I've recruited just fine if you care to look at my teams. In fact, I've recruited much better players than in 2.0, because you can. Everyone can. it's not hard to figure out how. WIS even provides instructions for how to recruit now. If you're a good coach in 2.0, you'll be a good coach in 3.0. But only if you take the extra time required. It is just that simple. None of the coaches that left failed to figure out 3.0, or left because this game is too complicated or beyond their intelligence. Nobody. That is important for you both to understand. Because this game has been simplified, requiring practically no actuall strategy.

People are leaving because they are frustrated. This is a completely different game, where the strategy has been mostly removed. This has made it easy for pretty much any coach to be successful if all they do is put in more TIME in than another coach, especially in recruiting.

Whomever runs this has been removing the strategy since 1.0, when they showed potentials in recruiting and team prestige. That took an insane amount of strategy out of the game. Any idiot can see how good the recruit will be now. It dumbified the game completely. That trend has continued and was accelerated with 3.0's release.

What we have now is a game devoid of any actual strategy aside from game planning and recruit evaluation (and the later is hardly strategic unless you're new to the game). It simply isn't worth playing anymore for longtime coaches, who loved the strategy of the first version, and put up with 2.0's changes.

So to conclude, this game now requires TIME not STRATEGY to be a good coach and have a successful team. I and pretty much every other coach who left didn't leave because they can't recruit in 3.0, but because recruiting is so time-consuming, simplified, drawn out, and unstrategic that it has become boring and not entertaining. That's a bad thing if this game is entertainment for all of us.

And BTW both of you obviously don't understand the word adversity. If you did, you'd realize your embarrassing yourself and your intellect by continuing to argue that people are leaving because this game has caused them adversity. Nobody needs to play this game, It's not fresh water, a loaf of bread, a paid electric bill, or a family wage job. It's optional entertainment that cost $$$.
This is a pretty poor assessment. I spend about the same amount of time recruiting now as I used to. You can spend as much time as you find enjoyable. The only people who think they need to spend more time are people who haven't adjusted to the new processes, and the people who *really* love new scouting.

You're mistaken that the strategy has been removed. I'm not saying you have to like it, but this trope is a massive cop out. I suspect you just don't like dealing with ambiguity and probabilities, and erroneously equate the fact that 51 no longer beats 49 100% of the time as a removal of strategy. It's actually adding layers of strategy. It puts more team-building strategies in play. It introduces more risk/reward scenarios, beyond knowing what battles you can't win and avoiding them. It emphasizes long term team planning, not just who can recruit the player with the highest numbers in x, y, and z categories. And because the elite commodities are likely to be distributed among more teams, the emphasis is back on actual gameplanning, which is where the strategy of a basketball simulation is supposed to be in the first place.

Some people don't want to learn a new game, and I understand. Some people are upset that their dynasty no longer enjoys the same advantages it had before, and I understand. Some people are just p!ssed at WIS, and have been looking for an excuse to bail, and that's fine with me. I don't think I've ever personally made the argument that 3.0 is too complicated for a significant number of users, though I think this is self-evidently true in at least a few cases. Like Mike, I don't care why you leave. I'm not obligated to care about what anyone else enjoys. The whole premise behind these exit troll threads, though, is based on a delusion; that WIS just hasn't thought this through and is making *a terrible mistake* because look at all those long time users gone! This just isn't reality. I guarantee you they expected attrition. I'm sure they'd rather you stick it out (if you're paying for seasons, anyway), but these kind of multi-player games have to go through periods of creative destruction from time to time. Games adjust, and players adapt, or they don't. If you don't want to, fine. Farewell. But exit trolling is lame.
You obviously don't know what you're doing if you think recruiting takes the same amount of time. That is just a complete joke and there us no way to argue it is factual. But you can think whatever you want, facts be damned. I'm sure its a normal part of your life to ignore facts...it's fashionable these days.

Your also confusing strategy with probability. It is actually EASIER to built a team now, at least in DIII and DII. Much easier. As long as you put in the time. The strategy is gone. And 3.0 will put a bigger divide between the good coaches and the coaches who think they are good and 3.0 has layers of strategy not found in 2.0. The game is simply too easy now. Maybe that is not the case in D1, I have no idea.

BTW, I love how instead of actually arguing me about what I presented, you try and turn it into a "I suspect you just don't like dealing with ambiguity and probabilities, and erroneously equate the fact that 51 no longer beats 49 100%" type of argument. Then go on to argue that as if it has any bearing on my decision or the fact this game is strategy-less now.

Honestly, I think you, Mike and Spud all know this game lacks real strategy now. There is no way you're all the stupid. That's why you won't debate the fact there simply isn't any strategy left aside from devoting time in recruiting. Instead you talk about anything but strategy and call it strategy. It is actually quite hilarious and entertaining to read and react to. Not enough to make me stay, but at least WIS is entertaining me somehow!
I know what I'm doing, which is why recruiting doesn't take me any longer than I want it to. I spend a minute or so deciding which states to FSS, a minute to set up my camp, 2-3 minutes sending out the asst to level up guys at each position. 5 minutes total, over the span of a few days, to cast out the net. Then I take about 20-25 minutes, on average, to sort through what I caught and set my priorities. I use the tools they gave us. Advanced searches and color tags. I may go back later and scout some more if my top priorities don't pan out, but the scouting to set up my priorities and first level backups takes about 25 to 30 minutes, total.

Your strategy rant is just incoherent. First you say it takes too long. Then you say there's no strategy. Which is it? What do you think strategy means? Strategy means a plan of operation, preparation for battle. What you probably mean to say is that the strategy that you used to use - that *every* experienced coach used to use because it was the only one that yielded acceptable results - is no longer the dominant strategy. So you're upset because the singular strategy of risk aversion is no longer rewarded to an absurd degree, so it no longer benefits players to spend time and energy worrying about how many resources everybody else has. Many different plans of battle are now in play. We can (and should have, by now, and probably would, if these threads didn't always devolve into this crap) set up a nice long thread discussing various strategies in 3.0, how they play out, tactics people are using to prioritize, how people are approaching long term team building, all strategy discussions advanced way beyond "do you know how far your recruit is from your school? Do you know how many scholarships your opponent has, and how many home visits he can send? Do you know how many battles your opponent has already been dragged into?"

You dont have to like it. I don't care if you do. But instead of saying "I don't prefer this style of game" or "I just don't have time to learn a new game", you have to try to insult everyone who likes it as you go out the door. We don't know what we're doing. We just want random (like the old standby "everyone gets a participation trophy", which is of course also incoherent since you've said yourself that many of the long time coaches could have stuck around and stayed great coaches - cream will rise to the top). We're either stupid or lying about more strategy. Right.

People are going to go on enjoying themselves in this world without you. 3.0 is a better game, even though it moved your cheese. There are more viable strategies at play, and the people embracing this fact are already having a lot more fun.
11/22/2016 9:34 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/22/2016 7:00:00 AM (view original):
Benis, it's been said a hundred times. "IT'S ALL RANDOM", which is bullshit, has been repeated so many times, I think it's permanently ingrained in my thoughts the moment I read 7 words of the "farewell" post.

It's almost unbelievable that the complaining was worse a month ago. That alone would have been enough for me to either give up the game or ignore the forums(where all the "inside" information will be shared). It's just enough.
I was coming back to expand on this but a couple of others have already expressed themselves so I'll be brief.

In the "Career Goals" thread, started by a n00b, it went all the way to the 3rd response before someone ******* about 3.0. Is that helpful to anyone or is it just continued ******** that permeates every thread?

Give it a rest. Most of us don't care that you're leaving, why you're leaving or how long you've been here. As a 2nd generation "n00b", I'll make my own decisions. Your opinion has been expressed, ad nauseam, and we get it. But we don't care.

Additionally, if I'm reading these farewell posts correctly, most of you are playing off credits earned over the years. Why in the hell would WifS care if you leave?

So, to summarize, new users don't care about your plight. WifS will get customers who buy their product. Therefore, your problem is just that. Your problem.
11/22/2016 9:53 AM
They need to make changes to D1 ASAP. In D2 and D3, no need to spend a dime in recruiting, just wait on the scholly to open... You get D1 leftovers, plenty for everyone. It is not working as intended. We are lacking scouting money at d3 and low d1.
11/22/2016 10:28 AM
Posted by zorzii on 11/22/2016 10:28:00 AM (view original):
They need to make changes to D1 ASAP. In D2 and D3, no need to spend a dime in recruiting, just wait on the scholly to open... You get D1 leftovers, plenty for everyone. It is not working as intended. We are lacking scouting money at d3 and low d1.
Literally all of this is false.
11/22/2016 10:32 AM
Well, if you don't need to spend a dime on recruiting in D3, how are we lacking in scouting money? Just scout all the D1 players you can at level one and work off the letter grades. Surely we know an A/B is better than D/F, right?
11/22/2016 10:46 AM
Well, PK, I am testing D1, D2 and D3... So I wonder what's false. D1 is a lottery, if you lose it, beware. I don't spend money in D2, D3 unless I need to push sims to low or v.low. The system needs ajustments. It can be perfected. Scouting limits your chances to find gems. If you win the lotteries, it's good, if not you need to dig deeper and money can be thin. As for D3, it would be fun to have a bit more money so the field of talent is a bit more discovered.
11/22/2016 12:47 PM
See, I find the exact opposite in D3, Z. I have been in more battles at D3 in the handful of 3.0 seasons than I did in the 200+ 2.0 seasons.

Because I have less guys scouted to max (usually like 20 compared to 300-500), the guy I want is THAT much better than guy #2 and I am willing to fight for him. I also know that I can lose and still land someone else which wasn't the case before.
11/22/2016 12:59 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/22/2016 9:14:00 AM (view original):
I am really interested in hearing what strategy has been removed?

Are your referring to the inability to "shape" recruits how you want because of potential?

Or identifying which recruits you can/should win and only recruit them?

I am at a loss on how the game is so much easier now and I have been a round since 1.0
indeed.. me too
11/22/2016 1:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...21 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.