Posted by vandydave on 11/22/2016 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/22/2016 9:48:00 PM (view original):
Comparing HD to a sport makes me feel a little sad for you. Not much but just a little.
Every time you post I feel sad for everyone reading it. Your unique blend of arrogance and ignorance is unparalleled.

Why do we need personal attacks?
11/23/2016 7:51 AM
Posted by sweetpeapapa on 11/22/2016 10:50:00 PM (view original):
I feel bad for ya Mike. I really do. It really is sad reading your posts.

If I had your record in HD and WIS, I wouldn't go around acting like you understand any of these games. You're 500% across the board on almost 19,000 games across the website, including .530 in HD. Whatever you're doing, your strategies are just better than a flip of the coin. But you're consistent.

Maybe you should look at HBD.

I love the way you guys resort to personal attacks.

If you aren't playing anymore, then don't.
11/23/2016 8:23 AM (edited)
Original Thread (too long now, takes up a whole page)
pkoopman Posted:
1) You still don't understand what the word "random" means, and are using it improperly. You should stop, it's starting to look like you're deliberately mischaracterizing what the recruiting game is now. I talk about probabilities because that's what the recruiting game is based on now, a probabilistic model rather than a deterministic one. 51 doesn't beat 49 100% of the time in recruiting. "Old system...don't know how much someone else was going to spend on a guy" isn't randomness or an example of a probabilistic model, it's just an unknown variable. No one said there were no unknown variables in the previous version. We just didn't think eBay bidding was a fun or realistic simulation of real life recruiting.

2) "It's frustrating for many to know that even if your strategy is better, you might still lose" is an incoherent objection. You may as well say "My horse was a better horse, his workout time was faster. How could he lose this race? I'm so frustrated!" or "I have the bigger, shinier and more expensive gun, it's frustrating that I could be killed in battle by a guy with a bayonet." If you consider losing a single recruit as an upset of your strategy in a probabilistic world, then your strategy wasn't better. Your strategy was myopic and poor.

3) "How I prioritize, who I target, and how much I invest is literally no different than before..." Even if literally true, which I doubt, the effects of those strategies and how they play in a multi-player universe, are now different. If you understand that 51 doesn't always beat 49 for a recruit, you can feel better about challenging others, and you can expect to be challenged more often. 3.0 promotes battles for valuable commodities, where the previous version incentivized risk aversion.

4) On that 3rd paragraph, as I recall, the stated goal was for national recruiting to be more feasible for elite recruits - so for high D1. The intention was never for D3 to recruit nationally, at least not "fully scouted" guys. For a new player, who isn't used to having an exhaustive and completely accurate current scouting report for literally every recruitable high school and juco player in the world at her/his fingertips, I suspect scouting will be fun to the extent that s/he enjoys the discovery process.

=======================

I agree with 1) completely. The probabilistic model used is NOT random. It does contain elements of chance that are based on probability. If people don't like that model of recruiting, certainly if they can not ever come to accept that form of recruiting, this is not the game for them. It's just that simple.

As for 2) .. Also agreed. An HD2.0 only approach to recruiting, with no planning for increased variability in obtaining the top recruits is indeed myopic.

As for 3) .. Again 100% agreement.

As for 4) Agreed again. They specifically changed the original design to keep scouting 'more local' for D-III and also to an extent D-II, while making it easier at D-1 to scout and recruit nationally. I think this system does that. Elite Div-1 teams can certainly recruit good players at much farther distances now. They can also lose battles close to home. Both good things.

I understand that some people do not like the probabilistic model for recruiting. But I personally think that it better models how 18 year old recruits make decisions like this. Where they have their commitment ceremonies. They call the media together and they have 2, 3, 4, etc,. Hats on the table and they pick one. There are a lot of variables besides just an ebay style auction that go into that process. And I firmly believe that this probabilistic recruiting system is much better at simulating that process.

Now that they have committed to doing SOMETHING about EEs (somehow learning of them earlier in the process, though they have not spelled it out completely.) .. if that something also adds more recruiting time to the second session for coaches who are changing jobs, then they will have addressed both of the major issues I have with HD 3.0.
11/23/2016 8:29 AM (edited)
Posted by therewas47 on 11/23/2016 7:30:00 AM (view original):
You just posted 4 straight times in this thread. If you want the conversation to die you could try not talking to yourself on the Internet for 30 straight minutes
I have plenty of free time. I could have posted 10 times without a response but I got winded.
11/23/2016 8:33 AM
I'll just comment on #2 because the complainers have never addressed my response.

Two teams are going to play(I'll use a round number to simplify). One team is 470. The other is 530. The 470 wins. Why isn't there as much handwringing over this "random" result as there is when a "very high" recruit chooses the "high" priority?
11/23/2016 8:59 AM (edited)
Posted by hughesjr on 11/23/2016 8:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by sweetpeapapa on 11/22/2016 10:50:00 PM (view original):
I feel bad for ya Mike. I really do. It really is sad reading your posts.

If I had your record in HD and WIS, I wouldn't go around acting like you understand any of these games. You're 500% across the board on almost 19,000 games across the website, including .530 in HD. Whatever you're doing, your strategies are just better than a flip of the coin. But you're consistent.

Maybe you should look at HBD.

I love the way you guys resort to personal attacks.

If you aren't playing anymore, then don't.
While I appreciate the support, it's not necessary. As I said, it's an internet game. Win or lose will not make or break my day.

But, just to put a cherry on top, I prefer a challenge. My first SLB season was 55-107 in an open league. My second was over 100 wins(as I'd educated myself a bit once I discovered the forums). While not a master, I thought I knew enough that I'd roll out 100 win teams over and over again in open leagues. So I chose to play theme league for the challenge from then on. Veteran owners play themes and my 3rd season *** was getting beat again. I won a couple of championships and got bored. Then HD came along. Quit SLB for a new challenge. Reached the ACC is my 17th season and got destroyed. Recognized that I could not recruit with the big schools and gave it up as HBD had some along. Played in a some public leagues. I was a little ahead of the curve and was winning 100+ in Joey Belle and Mike Greenwell right from the rip. Got bored. Started two private worlds that required experience and knowledge of the game. Far more competitive. And here we are with some assclown looking up my record in order to tell my I suck.

I imagine sweetpea plays Madden on Rookie, wins every game by 80 and goes undefeated. Which is fine if that's what you enjoy. I do not.
11/23/2016 8:46 AM
Anyway, I want to close early today so I don't have time to argue with you guys this morning. Here's my take:

HD was very similar to real-life. Frank Martin is sitting down with a recruit, telling him how they're building something at SC, how they want the kid to be part of it, expounds on his success at Kansas, etc, etc. The kid is pumped. He'd like to go to the NCAAs in his freshman year, he'd like a school with a history of more success, he'd prefer the coach have a record of sending players to the NBA, he wishes the coach had been there longer term but, right now, SC is the best school showing interest.
Then, two days later, Coach Cal shows up at his door. He goes to Kentucky.

That's real-life. But it's a terrible model to sell if you're not the "Coach Cal" of HD. As I understand HD now, the kid MIGHT chose Martin and SC. No guarantee but Martin can make a huge sales push and maybe tilt the odds a little bit in his favor. Coach Cal can make a similar push and keep the odds on his side or he can get mad and quit the coaching game.

The current model is much better for the vast majority of the consumer base. And I get it sucks for the Coach Cal contingent. But, truth is, you guys would still be better at the game than the rest of us.
11/23/2016 8:58 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2016 7:00:00 AM (view original):
Comparing HD to a sport makes me feel a little sad for you. Not much but just a little.
Every time you post I feel sad for everyone reading it. Your unique blend of arrogance and ignorance is unparalleled.

So, as an ex-star of the sport of HD, do you think you'll make an excellent commentator for the televised games?

Seriously, I've left you and your little schtickless gang alone as I think it's sad grown men will troll a spinach recipe website(or whatever it was) in order to mess with old ladies exchanging recipes. That's pathetic. But, hey, if that makes you and your pal happy, go for it.
I literally have no idea what you are talking about here. None. Par for the course.
11/23/2016 9:37 AM
wow have not played in a long time recruiting is completely different.
11/23/2016 10:03 AM
Posted by Fregoe on 11/23/2016 10:03:00 AM (view original):
wow have not played in a long time recruiting is completely different.
Yes - if you need some tips, look at the guide that is pinned, or feel free to sitemail me if you have some questions, and I would be glad to help.
11/23/2016 10:06 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/23/2016 7:51:00 AM (view original):

Why do we need personal attacks?
+1
11/23/2016 10:08 AM
You cannot defeat darkness with darkness
You can only defeat darkness with light
You cannot stop hate with more hate
You can only stop it with love

Or something like that!

Happy Thanksgiving!
11/23/2016 10:53 AM
Posted by vandydave on 11/23/2016 9:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2016 7:00:00 AM (view original):

So, as an ex-star of the sport of HD, do you think you'll make an excellent commentator for the televised games?

Seriously, I've left you and your little schtickless gang alone as I think it's sad grown men will troll a spinach recipe website(or whatever it was) in order to mess with old ladies exchanging recipes. That's pathetic. But, hey, if that makes you and your pal happy, go for it.
I literally have no idea what you are talking about here. None. Par for the course.
I don't think admitting you have no clue is a plus for you.

Are you denying being part of the schtickless gang?
Are you denying being part of the grand invasion of some spinach recipe site to troll old women?
Are you just saying you're oblivious to your surroundings?

Seriously, it's one thing to troll, which is exactly what you're doing, a forum where you chose not to participate in their games any longer. That's just another level of nonsense. I'd deny any knowledge/participation in that special brand of immaturity too.
11/23/2016 1:05 PM
I've again blocked a certain user. mark my words, especially those who have seen my posts for a long time around here but never seen me speak like this, arrogance and ignorance in unparalleled combination. genuinely can't tell if this user believes what they type or just enjoys being the ultimate forum troll, now trying to make another wis game forum unbearable to read their posts. I'd read a book from spud before reading another post from this user. hear me now, believe me later...i'm well aware that they'll likely respond but i'll never see it. fire away...
11/23/2016 1:26 PM
So says the troll. What was your point in addressing me in the first place? I don't recall mentioning you(because I didn't) and didn't remember you from any previous exchange. So I clicked your username, to see you no longer played HD, and saw you are in schtickless-HBD. And that you've been around 13 years. Nonetheless, buh-bye. I can only speak for myself but I won't miss you. Not that I remembered you in the first place.
11/23/2016 1:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20|21 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.