Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

*Limit to 1 early entry per team per season or have NBA draft before the start of period one, assuming there are no obstacles and doesn't interfere with the game in any other manner.
*Open scouting for all undecided players to Level 4 of last 1 or 2 cycles of period 2
*Keep D-1, D-2, D-3 recruiting separate. Generate some better recruits in each division as needed.
*Eliminate the randomness that goes with winning a recruit. If someone gets to 51% recruiting effort the recruit is theirs.

I figured this would eliminate a lot of the frustrations that coaches have. I'm not sure if it's possible to have the NBA draft before the start of period 1 without any direct or indirect impact on the game. By opening scouting to level 4 on the last two cycles, you're allowing teams that lost battles during recruiting to potentially find that "diamond in the rough". Also, I think the divisions should be kept separate when recruiting, just seems another added frustration for coaches. D-1 can't recruit D-2 players and vice versa. Generate more and better players at D-2 and D-3 to keep them happy and diminish the frustration of D-1 coaches losing battles to D-2 teams.

Lastly, I think the randomness that comes with recruiting absolutely needs to go. Feel free to add your thoughts.
11/27/2016 12:56 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I can't believe it but...I am in agreement with Spud in that I would not be in favor of your suggestions 2-4.

With regard to item #1, I do not play at the D1 level so my input carries little weight...however, it has always seemed to me that having EEs declare earlier would resolve most of the problems that coaches have with the new system.
11/27/2016 1:44 PM
I just thought the suggestions above would make recruiting and the game itself a lot more enjoyable with less frustration. Maybe I'm crazy, but thought they were pretty good ideas.

11/27/2016 1:56 PM
I think they're working on the EE thing, so that's good.

I've felt like they should have capped the divisions from day 1 so I'm okay with that one.

I don't agree with the level 4 scouting or the signings. The 'random' signing ship has sailed. That one isn't going to change.
11/27/2016 1:58 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/27/2016 1:58:00 PM (view original):

I've felt like they should have capped the divisions from day 1 so I'm okay with that one.

I don't agree with the level 4 scouting or the signings. The 'random' signing ship has sailed. That one isn't going to change.
What did u hear about the EE situation?
11/27/2016 2:25 PM
I am still a bit confused... A D2 team, that you want to catch up where you put all the goods, plus 3k hv, and the recruit still chooses d2 over a big six team doesn't work, other than that less chances or odds at H and ee fixed and it would be better
11/27/2016 2:29 PM
Posted by all2matt on 11/27/2016 2:25:00 PM (view original):

They've revealed that they're going to announce earlier. They haven't said whether that means we get resources for them before the 2nd session or not, but you'll know who is leaving presumably sometime before the end of the 1st recruiting session.
11/27/2016 2:31 PM
Posted by all2matt on 11/27/2016 2:25:00 PM (view original):

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=497901

"In other notes, we are actively working on a few updates to the game including sending emails at the start of each recruiting phase, earlier early entry decision making and announcements, providing coaches with additional information on chances of landing a recruit after a decision was made as well as job change/firing logic."
11/27/2016 2:32 PM
""In other notes, we are actively working on a few updates to the game including sending emails at the start of each recruiting phase, earlier early entry decision making and announcements, providing coaches with additional information on chances of landing a recruit after a decision was made as well as job change/firing logic."

Typical half-baked announcement. There is some room for optimism here, though: no mention of additional or earlier "resources." If they are giving information sooner and resources at the same time as presently done, coaches will have a better idea as to the extent to which they must prepare for the second recruiting period when they get additional resources for the additional openings.
11/27/2016 3:05 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 11/27/2016 1:41:00 PM (view original):
"Open scouting for all undecided players to Level 4 of last 1 or 2 cycles of period 2"
This might help someone who screwed up their scouting, but who else?

*Keep D-1, D-2, D-3 recruiting separate. Generate some better recruits in each division as needed."
I see no need for this and absolutely no purpose served. "...diminish the frustration of D-1 coaches losing battles to D-2 teams." D1 coaches should be good enough recruiters that this isn't a problem. D1 coaches are the best, right?

*Eliminate the randomness that goes with winning a recruit. If someone gets to 51% recruiting effort the recruit is theirs."
That is 2.0, exactly one of the things 3.0 fixed. Why undo it?
On your first point, someone like zorzi who was 0-3 despite being very high. Even if he hadn't used his recruiting budget, he still probably would've been screwed. I agree there should be some strategic element kept to the game, but also think there needs to be a solution as well. Because of the roll of the dice that didn't go in his favor, his team is going to have trouble for the next 4 seasons. At least with a roll in the dice during the game, it's just deciding one possession. where in recruiting it's going to affect a team for 4 seasons.

I do think they need to keep the divisions separate. It's actually a nonissue if the divisions are kept separate, but it becomes a fight when the divisions are integrated. That's why you add additional recruits to the pool, so the D-2 teams can recruit D-1 type players and in the meantime, a D-1 coach isn't going to quit in frustration. Again, if I'm the owner of a game, this would be my solution.

I think with getting rid of the postseason cash and the prestige having less of an advantage, not to mention the EE issue, I think the playing field has been leveled. I'm just speaking on the part of an impartial observer, but it really is unfair to the coaches that have worked so hard to get elite teams. I'm not suggesting they are the best coaches in the game, because they have an elite school. A lot of it was first come first serve.
11/27/2016 3:35 PM (edited)
I don't know, I think it's absurd. If I'm a player, the coach that is recruiting me, he's giving me promised playing time along with any other attention and I'm listed as "very high" on his radar, I'm not going to say "well here's the big day where I'm going roll the dice, six and below I'm going to Duke, anything above I'm going to UNC". It's asinine if you think about it.

And the counter argument will be "there are other additional circumstances that will determine his outcome". In that case, those circumstances should be added to the overall strategy to the game.
11/27/2016 3:44 PM
I posted this a few days ago. I believe it's WHY WifS changed recruiting:

HD was very similar to real-life. Frank Martin is sitting down with a recruit, telling him how they're building something at SC, how they want the kid to be part of it, expounds on his success at Kansas, etc, etc. The kid is pumped. He'd like to go to the NCAAs in his freshman year, he'd like a school with a history of more success, he'd prefer the coach have a record of sending players to the NBA, he wishes the coach had been there longer term but, right now, SC is the best school showing interest.
Then, two days later, Coach Cal shows up at his door. He goes to Kentucky.

That's real-life. But it's a terrible model to sell if you're not the "Coach Cal" of HD. As I understand HD now, the kid MIGHT chose Martin and SC. No guarantee but Martin can make a huge sales push and maybe tilt the odds a little bit in his favor. Coach Cal can make a similar push and keep the odds on his side or he can get mad and quit the coaching game.

The current model is much better for the vast majority of the consumer base. And I get it sucks for the Coach Cal contingent. But, truth is, you guys would still be better at the game than the rest of us.
11/27/2016 3:50 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 11/27/2016 1:41:00 PM (view original):
"Open scouting for all undecided players to Level 4 of last 1 or 2 cycles of period 2"
This might help someone who screwed up their scouting, but who else?

*Keep D-1, D-2, D-3 recruiting separate. Generate some better recruits in each division as needed."
I see no need for this and absolutely no purpose served. "...diminish the frustration of D-1 coaches losing battles to D-2 teams." D1 coaches should be good enough recruiters that this isn't a problem. D1 coaches are the best, right?

*Eliminate the randomness that goes with winning a recruit. If someone gets to 51% recruiting effort the recruit is theirs."
That is 2.0, exactly one of the things 3.0 fixed. Why undo it?
I think a lot could be improved - but agree with Spud that these are not wise moves.
11/27/2016 4:44 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 11/27/2016 12:57:00 PM (view original):
*Limit to 1 early entry per team per season or have NBA draft before the start of period one, assuming there are no obstacles and doesn't interfere with the game in any other manner.
*Open scouting for all undecided players to Level 4 of last 1 or 2 cycles of period 2
*Keep D-1, D-2, D-3 recruiting separate. Generate some better recruits in each division as needed.
*Eliminate the randomness that goes with winning a recruit. If someone gets to 51% recruiting effort the recruit is theirs.

I figured this would eliminate a lot of the frustrations that coaches have. I'm not sure if it's possible to have the NBA draft before the start of period 1 without any direct or indirect impact on the game. By opening scouting to level 4 on the last two cycles, you're allowing teams that lost battles during recruiting to potentially find that "diamond in the rough". Also, I think the divisions should be kept separate when recruiting, just seems another added frustration for coaches. D-1 can't recruit D-2 players and vice versa. Generate more and better players at D-2 and D-3 to keep them happy and diminish the frustration of D-1 coaches losing battles to D-2 teams.

Lastly, I think the randomness that comes with recruiting absolutely needs to go. Feel free to add your thoughts.
I hate the randomness too (or probabilities, if that word works better for others), wiz, but I think that ship has sailed. That's the "#1" feature of 3.0, as opposed to a bug. I think announcing EEs earlier is a partial fix, but I am going to die in recruiting at LSU in Knight, even if I had that partial fix, because I had 4 EEs with no seniors. With 20 APs through the 1st recruiting period, I'm in just too deep a hole -- best case scenario, I sign two serviceable players, and that is the very best case, because I'm in such an AP hole compared to other players. I think lessening the "value" of APs would fix part of that problem, to the point that if I'm after an elite "late" recruit, I've at least got a chance.
11/27/2016 7:26 PM
1|2|3...13 Next ▸
Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.