3.0 is Unbelievably Frustrating Topic

Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/2/2017 1:29:00 AM (view original):
I hate having to go from recruit to recruit and then have to back off of each one as you go because everyone is going down the same progression. It sucks having to put in effort before you can offer a scholarship or a HV. I've spent a lot of my time off on this game for recruiting in 2 worlds and playoffs in 1. After all of the countless hours spent on recruiting for my Virginia Tech team, I'm going to be left with crappy players that I am going to have to live with for 4 years.
Maybe everyone believes in the "You MUST recruit ATH/DEF" theory.
1/2/2017 9:32 AM
D1 is pretty frustrating. You fast get into a deadend. It's designed that way. Finding gems, making the right calls on battles can't only be decided on preferences. Late signees can screw up your strat pretty fast. There is a learning curve for sure. Phelan D1 will be a bloodbath. I have seen it... Luck in rolls or recruit being well placed for a particular program ( within 300 miles) will play a big part in this year. We are lucky Duke is not in it anymore. D2 and D3 don't have that drama but is definetly geared towards D1 talent.
1/2/2017 9:38 AM
I here you and it is completely understandable. I still get the most frustrated at bad games (upsets) against sim ai's which has nothing to do with recruiting...
1/2/2017 10:16 AM
Oh yes and late signees are evil.
1/2/2017 10:21 AM
Posted by reinsel on 1/2/2017 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Yeah wiz, I think I posted that example above. BC, Duke and some 3rd A+ D1 school all at VH all lost to a D2 school at High. Very crazy frustrating. Plus the EEs are frustrating. Why can't declare at the beginning of period 1? That would solve everything.

It's a challenge for sure, adjusting to the new system. I do like some things, like the elimination of conference $$$, but I think in many other areas the changes have had some seriously unintended consequences, such as D2 teams beating out A level D1 teams. That just should never happen.
Any of those D1s could have put the D2 away, likely with just a HV or two. That's how it goes with internationals. They're expensive for everyone, so often the team willing to invest in some HVs gets him. In this case, it was the D2 willing to gamble and invest (I'm speculating, I don't know the details of effort, but from what I've seen of international battles in 3.0, there's no way a D2 hangs with high level D1s unless there is a huge disparity in effort). And he was still a long shot, he got lucky on the roll. This is the one we note and remember, but probably 9 of 10 times, this kind of battle goes to a VH.
1/2/2017 11:23 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 1/2/2017 11:23:00 AM (view original):
Yeah wiz, I think I posted that example above. BC, Duke and some 3rd A+ D1 school all at VH all lost to a D2 school at High. Very crazy frustrating. Plus the EEs are frustrating. Why can't declare at the beginning of period 1? That would solve everything.

It's a challenge for sure, adjusting to the new system. I do like some things, like the elimination of conference $$$, but I think in many other areas the changes have had some seriously unintended consequences, such as D2 teams beating out A level D1 teams. That just should never happen.
Any of those D1s could have put the D2 away, likely with just a HV or two. That's how it goes with internationals. They're expensive for everyone, so often the team willing to invest in some HVs gets him. In this case, it was the D2 willing to gamble and invest (I'm speculating, I don't know the details of effort, but from what I've seen of international battles in 3.0, there's no way a D2 hangs with high level D1s unless there is a huge disparity in effort). And he was still a long shot, he got lucky on the roll. This is the one we note and remember, but probably 9 of 10 times, this kind of battle goes to a VH.
The problem was that the D1 coaches were in job changes so they couldn't start recruiting them until the 2nd period and by then it was too late.
1/2/2017 12:02 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/2/2017 12:02:00 PM (view original):

The problem was that the D1 coaches were in job changes so they couldn't start recruiting them until the 2nd period and by then it was too late.
2 of the 3, sure. But that's a whole other issue from what I'm talking about. There are separate complaints here, and they get conflated a lot. I was addressing the big picture oddity of D2 beating a D1 for a recruit, and the misperception that prestige is under-powered. My only point above was that if effort is similar, Fl Tech doesn't get close to signing range.

Ive been on record many times supporting a couple signing-free cycles at the start of the second period, specifically to make the game more playable for coaches changing jobs. I'm with you there.
1/2/2017 12:23 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 1/1/2017 11:25:00 PM (view original):
I know it seems like I'm complaining, but more like needing a place to vent my frustration. I guess some people might see it as being the same thing. Anyone else frustrated?
I think prestige has been comically mitigated. The two recruiting sessions ruins the game for multiple EE teams and new coaches. Finally, the caps on things like HV's takes all strategy out of the game, and just makes it a roll of the dice for a recruit. Awful product right now.
1/2/2017 5:54 PM
For other coaches who are sick and tired of Spud's mindless rhetoric, please just block him or at least don't respond to him. He will grow tired of trolling in a lake where the fish don't ever bite.
1/3/2017 3:53 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 1/2/2017 8:30:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/2/2017 1:29:00 AM (view original):
I hate having to go from recruit to recruit and then have to back off of each one as you go because everyone is going down the same progression. It sucks having to put in effort before you can offer a scholarship or a HV. I've spent a lot of my time off on this game for recruiting in 2 worlds and playoffs in 1. After all of the countless hours spent on recruiting for my Virginia Tech team, I'm going to be left with crappy players that I am going to have to live with for 4 years.
Well, why don't you jut get a jump on your second tier guys and not waste 3 cycles in your first tier guys? It works for me.
This is how you end up with a career of 1 and done. Why should he not waste 3 cycles on a first tier guy if no one shows up until the 3rd cycle?
1/3/2017 8:55 AM
We can only hope the new team manages to undo some of the damage. Version 2.0 made more sense. Seble was a very average D1 coach who wanted to level the playing field so that guys like him could win. That is the primary reason we have so much randomness in recruiting and game results. Some intended; some the law of unintended consequences. Was perfectly happy in 2.0, but kind of winging it in 3.0 and hoping for changes. My approach to the game, which worked fine before, is now wrong on many levels. This reminds me of some of the things programmers did at work. They pronounced their changes as "elegant"--but the unintended consequences left them baffled and unable to cope.
Love the 3.0 loyalists that insist this is the best of all possible games, and if you don't like it, leave. You know who you are.
TL
1/3/2017 9:50 AM

This appears to be incorrect based on oldman's statement in the other thread. He made 14 HV and still lost out to a D2. If true, that is indefensible.
1/3/2017 10:03 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 1/2/2017 1:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/2/2017 12:55:00 AM (view original):
"...if it's frustrating you, just don't do it."

There it is. As long as guys don't understand the game and see the game as just luck, they will blame the game and be frustrated. Once they learn it better and understand it is all driven by their own choices, they can learn to live with their own choices and enjoy the game like most people do already. Best of luck.
Spud, one thing I've learned over the years is to pick and choose your fights wisely, especially when debating on the forums. Since nobody else ever agrees with you, you're making this very easy.

A few days ago, there was a perfect example for you to come to the defense. I even called you out on it. There was a A+ Division 2 school (Florida Tech) that was H going up against 3 elite D-1 schools that were VH. As you know, the Division 2 school won out. Until you can come up with sensible argument for that happening, there really isn't any other reason to correspond about anything else. You're a parrot, you repeat yourself over and over again and time and time again, you come up with no in-depth logical explanation. It's always the same song and dance.
Responding to a forum troll only keeps the troll trolling... just down vote and move on...
1/3/2017 10:48 AM
Posted by jcfreder on 1/3/2017 10:03:00 AM (view original):

This appears to be incorrect based on oldman's statement in the other thread. He made 14 HV and still lost out to a D2. If true, that is indefensible.
I agree, if that is accurate. Based on what I've experienced, going all-in on a preference-neutral recruit as a D+ D1, and getting knocked all the way to very low by an A+ who decided he wanted the guy, this scenario looks like either a bug (maybe related to the coach change) or a mistaken account. I hope a ticket is sent and the scenario is clarified.
1/3/2017 11:15 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 1/3/2017 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jcfreder on 1/3/2017 10:03:00 AM (view original):

I agree, if that is accurate. Based on what I've experienced, going all-in on a preference-neutral recruit as a D+ D1, and getting knocked all the way to very low by an A+ who decided he wanted the guy, this scenario looks like either a bug (maybe related to the coach change) or a mistaken account. I hope a ticket is sent and the scenario is clarified.
That's my experience in D1 as well. Prestige and prefs really important.
1/3/2017 11:28 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
3.0 is Unbelievably Frustrating Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.