Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Thanks I appreciate the responses.
4/28/2023 1:56 PM
I remember forever ago someone (probably mikeT) said that a pitcher that is pitching the next day that has health of 100 is better rested then a pitcher pitching the next day that has health 80(100). Seems odd to me but has anyone noticed this one way or the other?
5/2/2023 11:46 AM
Only a very small sample size but they seem to underperform without that extra day.
5/2/2023 12:09 PM
I agree. No hard facts, but I agree
5/3/2023 6:30 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/2/2023 11:46:00 AM (view original):
I remember forever ago someone (probably mikeT) said that a pitcher that is pitching the next day that has health of 100 is better rested then a pitcher pitching the next day that has health 80(100). Seems odd to me but has anyone noticed this one way or the other?
Let's say you have a relief pitcher with 70/25 Dur/Stam. He does not pitch in games 1-5 so is well rested. His fatigue level shows 100. In game 6 he throws 20 pitches. After game 6 and before game 7 his fatigue level will still show 100. Then in game 7 he throws another 20 pitches. After game 7 his fatigue level will be less than 100, probably something like 25(95). Anyone who has paid attention to their pitching staffs has noticed this.

Fact: He threw 20 pitches both times. After game 6 his fatigue stayed at 100. After game 7 his fatigue dropped way down. Obviously not all 100 fatigue levels are equal. This is not opinion, this is how the game plays out.

Opinion: I don't have any hard facts for this.....While it is fact that not all 100 fatigue levels are the same, I believe that the effectiveness of all pitchers at 100 fatigue level is the same regardless of what their true fatigue level is until their fatigue level drops below 100 at some point in the game. It is only after a pitcher becomes tired (fatigue drops below 100) that their effectiveness starts to drop. The reason well rested pitchers seem to perform better than slightly rested pitchers (both at 100 to start the game) is because slightly rested pitchers drop below 100 much sooner in their outing than well rested ones do.

5/3/2023 6:08 PM
Posted by dyoungquist on 5/3/2023 6:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/2/2023 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Let's say you have a relief pitcher with 70/25 Dur/Stam. He does not pitch in games 1-5 so is well rested. His fatigue level shows 100. In game 6 he throws 20 pitches. After game 6 and before game 7 his fatigue level will still show 100. Then in game 7 he throws another 20 pitches. After game 7 his fatigue level will be less than 100, probably something like 25(95). Anyone who has paid attention to their pitching staffs has noticed this.

Fact: He threw 20 pitches both times. After game 6 his fatigue stayed at 100. After game 7 his fatigue dropped way down. Obviously not all 100 fatigue levels are equal. This is not opinion, this is how the game plays out.

Opinion: I don't have any hard facts for this.....While it is fact that not all 100 fatigue levels are the same, I believe that the effectiveness of all pitchers at 100 fatigue level is the same regardless of what their true fatigue level is until their fatigue level drops below 100 at some point in the game. It is only after a pitcher becomes tired (fatigue drops below 100) that their effectiveness starts to drop. The reason well rested pitchers seem to perform better than slightly rested pitchers (both at 100 to start the game) is because slightly rested pitchers drop below 100 much sooner in their outing than well rested ones do.

This is by far the most comprehensive explanation I've seen and makes a ton of sense.
5/3/2023 6:56 PM
Interesting. That makes a lot of sense.
5/4/2023 11:53 AM

until their fatigue level drops below 100 at some point in the game. It is only after a pitcher becomes tired (fatigue drops below 100) that their effectiveness starts to drop.

I don't disagree with some of this, but doesn't in-game Stamina have a say in it as well ? Let's say a guy start the game at theoretically 101 fatigue and is an 80 Stamina. If I'm wrong plz say so, but I can't imagine him losing effectiveness 5 pitches into the game (dropping from let's say 101 to 99 fatigue) if he's barely into his in-game Stamina 80.
5/4/2023 3:04 PM
Posted by Mwett on 5/4/2023 3:04:00 PM (view original):

until their fatigue level drops below 100 at some point in the game. It is only after a pitcher becomes tired (fatigue drops below 100) that their effectiveness starts to drop.

I don't disagree with some of this, but doesn't in-game Stamina have a say in it as well ? Let's say a guy start the game at theoretically 101 fatigue and is an 80 Stamina. If I'm wrong plz say so, but I can't imagine him losing effectiveness 5 pitches into the game (dropping from let's say 101 to 99 fatigue) if he's barely into his in-game Stamina 80.
I interpret this the same way, all pitchers at 100% are treated the same when starting a game for IN GAME STAMINA. There are two types of pitcher stamina, in game and overall. In game 100% is the max you can start with and it shouldn’t matter if they pitched the last game or 20 games ago if they started the game at 100%. Overall or season stamina determines where a pitchers % its to start a given game and it combines with durability on how fast it recovers or “ goes over 100%” Another way to put it, you can’t start with more than 100% to impact in game stamina.

https://www.whatifsports.com/devchat/devchat.asp?chatid=43 search for stamina

Does pitching fatigue now use total pitches per season at all? I have noticed that starting pitchers every time they get to 100% leads to bad performance as if there were being overused. And that this gets better if the pitchers are rested. Are all 100%s not equal? Is there is hidden factor? Total pitches, starts, or anything else? (baldric - Hall of Famer - 1:07 PM)

No, there is no such thing as "total pitches per season" in HBD like there is in SLB. In HBD, a pitch tank system is used. The depth of the tank is based on their stamina/durability ratings. It's adjusted based on usage. All 100% are handled the same, nothing hidden under that number.

5/4/2023 10:47 PM
If you have a guy that steals bases well but doesn’t have a great avg on base or power, do you prefer to put them higher up in the lineup (6th or 7th ish) or do you put them 9th?

my thought is if you put them 9th if they get on base, then I potentially have two guys back to back that run the bases well and can score from just about anywhere.
5/7/2023 11:35 AM
Keep saying I'm going to cut teams and eventually get out of this game, then I get offered another spot and here I go.....

Previous owners have used up 2 years of this guy's ML time to the tune of 22.2 innings total so sample size makes stats meaningless. He has good to great ratings everywhere but his vR split which at 52, sucks, no two ways about it.

Will his 90+ Ctrl and P1, and 80+ Velocity, GB/FB and P2 mitigate his vR enough to make him a viable setup guy, or too risky?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=12081954
7/5/2023 10:07 PM (edited)
Posted by friarboy on 7/5/2023 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Keep saying I'm going to cut teams and eventually get out of this game, then I get offered another spot and here I go.....

Previous owners have used up 2 years of this guy's ML time to the tune of 22.2 innings total so sample size makes stats meaningless. He has good to great ratings everywhere but his vR split which at 52, sucks, no two ways about it.

Will his 90+ Ctrl and P1, and 80+ Velocity, GB/FB and P2 mitigate his vR enough to make him a viable setup guy, or too risky?

Should be OK but even that VL split is a little average at 74. Don't be surprised if he gets blown up from time to time.

7/6/2023 7:00 AM

I'd try to hide him behind a starting RHP to try to get him to face less RHB.
7/6/2023 3:27 PM

Legitimate major league pitcher at the back end of a bullpen... not someone who would be among the 4 best RP on a championship team.
7/7/2023 7:02 AM

A decent mopup guy since he can pitch 35 pitches almost every other day.
7/13/2023 2:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...106|107|108|109|110...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.