Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Salaries are guaranteed at rollover; no window at all to make such a move.
8/10/2023 8:17 PM
Yeah if I want to do things like that I do them while a season's playoffs are finishing up.

8/11/2023 7:11 AM
So, it's often asked.... why does this guy stink? I'm going to turn it around and ask, especially on a bad team, why doesn't this guy stink? He has 43 vL/64 vR splits. Are his control/velocity both around 90 and all his pitches being above 50 enough to overcome it?

His record isn't great because the team's been rebuilding but he's only had one season with an ERA approaching 5, otherwise he's been in the 3s. Maybe I've been overrating splits when the other attributes are good?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=10852552
8/25/2023 10:53 PM (edited)
Posted by friarboy on 8/25/2023 10:53:00 PM (view original):
So, it's often asked.... why does this guy stink? I'm going to turn it around and ask, especially on a bad team, why doesn't this guy stink? He has 43 vL/64 vR splits. Are his control/velocity both around 90 and all his pitches being above 50 enough to overcome it?

His record isn't great because the team's been rebuilding but he's only had one season with an ERA approaching 5, otherwise he's been in the 3s. Maybe I've been overrating splits when the other attributes are good?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=10852552
Pitching in the NL is a small part of it, but I'd expect him to regress quite a bit in the next few seasons. He's way over performing his ratings. Unless you have gold gloves at SS, CF, and 2b, he's likely just having his best seasons at the beginning of his career.
8/27/2023 12:48 AM
In the long run yeah he's probably going to regress, and he might not be able to win a playoff game against elite hitters. However I've been finding that those types (very high Control and good Pitch ratings) can eat up some useful Major League innings. Might also be the talent level of the league is down. We all want to find stud hitters, but if every team has only three or four at best...

8/27/2023 9:57 AM
I just signed a nice catcher (91 pitch calling 81 arm accuracy and 73 arm str) with a good bat....wondering how much it will impact my pitching this year with him behind the plate?
8/27/2023 10:35 AM
I have a newbie question about setting budgets! I know I can go default or use the previous owner's season to adjust with. My dilemma is that if I use the previous owner's budget I can max out Training and almost medical and advanced(which would help me being new). On the flip side I would not be able to have any HS or College scouting above 10 million. My problem is I have 2 type A and 3 B free agents . That is potentially 7 more picks in the draft this upcoming season. Do I use default to get 15 million in HS and College for the potential picks OR use the owner's previous season to maximize training, almost medical and advanced. Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.
8/29/2023 10:10 AM
Oof. That is a good question. For me, I think I would go with the scouting to get the prospects and then slowly build up Medical / Training ASAP. Losing the A's and B's on crummy prospects would be tough and you can't punt on all of them.
8/29/2023 1:31 PM
New owner, new world and team and I have a dilemma already. I am setting budgets to begin the season. With the default or the previous owners budget the max scouting I can get is 15 million for HS or College. My problem is the team has the #1 pick and I feel that it would not be as good of course with the limited scouting I can have. What would the best thing to do be? Thanks in advance.
9/17/2023 8:55 AM
My advice? 15M gets you alright scouting but of course not max. Your projections will be off. ALL projections will be off for all players. With the number one pick the only thing you care about is getting the best one. The scouting should NOT show you a #1 who is a lot worse than the #2 or the #3. What could very well happen is that you see only the #3 and maybe you don't see the #1 and even the #2 as well. So I'd say take your chance and when the draft comes up, if you don't see a #1 you can get excited about, you can punt the pick.

9/17/2023 9:28 AM
Question for the injury experts. I've never run a Med budget before but finally experimenting with it on one of my teams. I've got a HoF level SP that got elbow tendonitis and took about -4 to his main pitching ratings. He's eligible to come off the 60 day DL soon. Will keeping him on the DL get me much more recovery with that injury or nah?

9/17/2023 10:27 AM
Are you at 20M Medical?
9/17/2023 10:38 AM
Posted by damag on 9/17/2023 9:28:00 AM (view original):
My advice? 15M gets you alright scouting but of course not max. Your projections will be off. ALL projections will be off for all players. With the number one pick the only thing you care about is getting the best one. The scouting should NOT show you a #1 who is a lot worse than the #2 or the #3. What could very well happen is that you see only the #3 and maybe you don't see the #1 and even the #2 as well. So I'd say take your chance and when the draft comes up, if you don't see a #1 you can get excited about, you can punt the pick.

Thanks I appreciate the input. My only worry is that the team will be a middle of the road team and thus getting me a 15-20 round pick next season. If I was told correctly if the "potential punted pick" works out than I get a pick 1 lower than my original one for the next season. So instead of a 1st pick I will get a lower pick for sure. Of course it is a crap shoot on draft prospects for sure. I was also told that it is not always a guarantee that the potential unsignable players won't sign either. I can not in good faith(or conscience) lose on purpose to make sure I get a high pick next season. So I guess the best thing to do is see how the draft pool is and go from there :)
9/17/2023 10:41 AM
@AverageJoe26 - Regardless of what your "true" pick is next season, if you successfully punt the #1 this season (offer the player's full demand, have it outright rejected, and do not offer again), you will then have the #2 pick as Type D compensation next season.

I've never done it - I've punted on lower picks in my drafts - but many owners have thought about punting on #1. Maybe ask someone who's done so successfully.

9/17/2023 11:29 AM
Posted by damag on 9/17/2023 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Are you at 20M Medical?
Whoops, forgot to mention that. Working my way up to it. Currently at $15M
9/17/2023 12:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...108|109|110|111|112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.