Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Posted by brianplath on 9/17/2023 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by damag on 9/17/2023 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Are you at 20M Medical?
Whoops, forgot to mention that. Working my way up to it. Currently at $15M
I’m sure that at 20M I could leave him on the 60-day till he gets a second recovery. Not sure you’ll get that at 15.

Need hockey1984 to weigh in on this.

9/17/2023 2:24 PM
Posted by brianplath on 9/17/2023 10:27:00 AM (view original):
Question for the injury experts. I've never run a Med budget before but finally experimenting with it on one of my teams. I've got a HoF level SP that got elbow tendonitis and took about -4 to his main pitching ratings. He's eligible to come off the 60 day DL soon. Will keeping him on the DL get me much more recovery with that injury or nah?

My experience with that injury is that the pitcher doesn't recover what they lost on the 60-day DL even with $20M in medical. I haven't been keeping track recently, but I don't think anything has changed. I show normally only 1 cycle for recovery. It could have been that all of the pitchers that I tracked were hurt during the season where they could only get 1 recovery cycle. I have seen 1 to 4 points lost in the different categories but the recovery was only 1 point back and not in all of the categories that lost points. Take all of this with a box of salt since someone else may know more than I.
9/17/2023 4:54 PM
Posted by brianplath on 9/17/2023 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by damag on 9/17/2023 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Are you at 20M Medical?
Whoops, forgot to mention that. Working my way up to it. Currently at $15M
My understanding is you have to be at 20 to get the extra bumps. I have an outfielder that got 3 recovery bumps this season for an ACL. I was tempted to leave him on to see if he got another one but I needed his bat. The players makeup impacts this as well.
9/17/2023 6:44 PM
Question for the injury experts. I've never run a Med budget before but finally experimenting with it on one of my teams. I've got a HoF level SP that got elbow tendonitis and took about -4 to his main pitching ratings. He's eligible to come off the 60 day DL soon. Will keeping him on the DL get me much more recovery with that injury or nah?

I haven't done 15 million medical in forever. My best advice is if you are having a season where you will need him to make the playoffs, take him off the DL as soon as you can. If you won't need him and are either safely in or have determined you are out of the running, keep him on until you get a 'regular season' update rather then a 'injury recovery' update.
9/18/2023 8:59 AM
Posted by joekendall on 9/17/2023 4:54:00 PM (view original):

My experience with that injury is that the pitcher doesn't recover what they lost on the 60-day DL even with $20M in medical. I haven't been keeping track recently, but I don't think anything has changed. I show normally only 1 cycle for recovery. It could have been that all of the pitchers that I tracked were hurt during the season where they could only get 1 recovery cycle. I have seen 1 to 4 points lost in the different categories but the recovery was only 1 point back and not in all of the categories that lost points. Take all of this with a box of salt since someone else may know more than I.
Depends on a lot of things. The big one that I look at if the player isn't recovering how I expected is the makeup. Has a huge effect on DL recovery.
9/18/2023 9:00 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 9/18/2023 9:00:00 AM (view original):

Depends on a lot of things. The big one that I look at if the player isn't recovering how I expected is the makeup. Has a huge effect on DL recovery.
Great point about makeup. Do you have a feel for where the makeup needs to land? Obviously a 90 is better than a 60, but do you have a better feel than that for the makeup?
9/18/2023 9:20 AM
Thanks gentleman! I'm in a wildcard race so he's probably gonna have to come off regardless.
9/18/2023 10:43 AM
Posted by joekendall on 9/18/2023 9:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 9/18/2023 9:00:00 AM (view original):

Great point about makeup. Do you have a feel for where the makeup needs to land? Obviously a 90 is better than a 60, but do you have a better feel than that for the makeup?
Thats a hard question. From what I have noticed 60 Makeup and higher you tend to get larger bumps from recovery. I think you get the same number of bumps regardless but from a quick look it looks like 60+ will get you 2 points for each recovery cycle give or take while below 60 will get you 1 or 0.
9/19/2023 1:25 PM
Is it true that minor league guys only get the end-of-season promotion bonus bump if they played in the minor league playoffs?
9/27/2023 9:10 PM
No. Guys that play in the minor league playoffs should get an additional bump, I've even heard owners saying they have seen it, but I've never seen it. I've heard people say that the end of the season promotion bump is just the game 'rounding up' numbers.

So, when your player gains ratings we only see whole numbers but for the algorithm players are actually gaining part numbers that we can't see. A batter with 67 contact may actually have 67.8 contact but we can't see the .8. I've heard owners say when you promote at the end of the season it rounds that 67.8 up to 68 and gives the impression of a ratings bump.

I have no idea if any of this is true or not. This was all Grandpa MikeT going off on another one of his rants. All I know is anyone I want to make the majors one day I will promote at the end of the season. Sometimes they get bumps, sometimes they don't.

Disclaimer: Although I make sure my minors aren't a team full of 0(0) guys I do not do a good job of taking care of my minors. They rarely make the playoffs and in 100+ seasons I have never won a minor league championship.

Edit: I always forget when I'm logged into my dads account. This is Hockey1984 by the way.
9/28/2023 12:08 PM
You can always trigger the system event that shows the updated ratings by simply promoting your guys during the ML LCS sim cycles. Whether they get bumps to any of their ratings highly depends on whether or not they played in the playoffs. No playoffs usually means not enough experience gained so their ratings stays the same as the last system ratings update.

I'm inclined to believe what hockey described, about fractional ratings increases. I'm not even convinced you need to promote because IMO there's a decent chance the computer simply remembers the ratings for recording for the first ratings update after ST the following season. But I'm not 100% positive on that so why risk it? Might as well promote during playoffs to lock in the ratings increases just in case.
9/29/2023 4:52 PM
IF I trade for a AA player who was put on the 40-man (early) in only his 4th pro season, do I have to put him on MY 40 when I acquire him? Or does his status revert to non-40?
12/26/2023 11:21 AM
Posted by damag on 12/26/2023 11:21:00 AM (view original):
IF I trade for a AA player who was put on the 40-man (early) in only his 4th pro season, do I have to put him on MY 40 when I acquire him? Or does his status revert to non-40?
No, you don't have to put him on your 40-man. This applies to any player that you trade for. If the player was on his 40-man, that doesn't mean you have to put in on your 40-man after you acquire him. Unless, of course, he is out of options. If you trade for a player who is out of options, you have to put him on your ML squad. And thus, he has to be on your 40-man.
12/26/2023 11:51 AM (edited)
Thanks bj!
12/26/2023 2:19 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 12/26/2023 11:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by damag on 12/26/2023 11:21:00 AM (view original):
No, you don't have to put him on your 40-man. This applies to any player that you trade for. If the player was on his 40-man, that doesn't mean you have to put in on your 40-man after you acquire him. Unless, of course, he is out of options. If you trade for a player who is out of options, you have to put him on your ML squad. And thus, he has to be on your 40-man.
bj is correct here. This is one of the bigger mistakes that inexperienced owners make. You SHOULDN'T put a player on the 40-man roster until you have to. I've seen freshly drafted guys put on the 40 when they are assigned to the minors. Being on the 40-man in the minors will burn an option each spring training.
12/26/2023 2:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...109|110|111|112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.