2021 Heads Up Topic

I'm not saying I'm going to run it this year, but if I do, it will start later (late May / early June).
2/4/2022 4:39 PM
If it comes down to it, I could probably shoulder most of the load. I would need some insights on the most efficient way to do things.
2/4/2022 6:41 PM
I have some theme ideas in case someone is drawing a blank.
2/5/2022 12:09 PM
Against my better judgement I am going to volunteer to run this for 2022 and plan to kick things off in a week or so, with a couple caveats:

1. All themes will be simple to verify. This doesn't mean they will necessarily be simple to create a team for, but all verification will be possible using the commissioner View All Rosters option (which just has player, season, franchise, position, salary, stadium). I don't want the hassle of verifying stat-related themes like we had last year.

2. There will be no more pre-ranking of all owners in the tournament. Obviously the commissioners will have to be separated, but otherwise there will be a public drawing to determine who is in which league, and then the divisions will be randomized from there. I don't think protected seeds, particularly for people who may have run up a .600+ win percentage dominating open leagues only, are in the spirit of the tournament. Everyone starts on an equal playing field.

So unless I hear objections I'll start contacting admin on Monday about prizes and finalizing themes. Let me know any theme ideas.
3/26/2022 7:33 PM (edited)
Thanks for taking this on. I look forward to seeing what the themes are.

I will say, though, that I was a fan of the ranking system. It balanced the divisions and leagues as best as possible. And from what I understand it was more reliant on WIS championship results than open league winning percentages. I do believe relying solely on random assignment will end up with a few divisions of death, a few easier leagues in total, and their opposites.
3/26/2022 10:21 PM
Yeah thanks for stepping up, GSP. I too look forward to the themes.

1) Simpler to verify sounds great - and makes a lot of sense.

2) I like the idea of no pre-ranking of owners. And this isn't self-serving. I was ranked 17th (as I recall) last year and I assume would move up with a #2 finish (and of course GSP would be ranked even higher). So I won't lose sleep if we end up doing the pre-ranking again, lol. However it feels like it's helpful to the top teams and detrimental to the bottom ones, and that doesn't feel right. It's hard to argue with everyone starting with an equal chance to have a more difficult or an easier division and league.
3/27/2022 2:06 AM
Posted by ronthegenius on 3/26/2022 10:21:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for taking this on. I look forward to seeing what the themes are.

I will say, though, that I was a fan of the ranking system. It balanced the divisions and leagues as best as possible. And from what I understand it was more reliant on WIS championship results than open league winning percentages. I do believe relying solely on random assignment will end up with a few divisions of death, a few easier leagues in total, and their opposites.
The rankings helped sort leagues. Divisional alignment within leagues is always random, so there's no guarantee of balance regardless.
3/28/2022 9:18 AM
The ranking system was heavily weighted to previous WIS Championship results. Owner ratings came into play with no WISC players.
3/28/2022 9:35 AM
Can we still do the rankings even if they’re not used for anything? I always enjoyed seeing how I did from one year to the next and how my ranking improved or dropped (added additional competition between me and my brother as well)
3/29/2022 3:25 AM
You can ask schwarze to compile them. Him and ozomatli are the only ones who know the formula, although I believe ozomatli changed it so the ranking for this year won't be the same formula as the past few years.
3/29/2022 7:20 AM
◂ Prev 12
2021 Heads Up Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.