As some of you already know, wink0094 hadn't been answering sitemails for the last couple weeks, making validating team entries difficult. I had hoped he was just on a camping trip with no internet or something, and then when I saw a sitemail notification from him yesterday I was quite relieved he was back.

But it turned out the sitemail was from his wife, telling me that he had died unexpectedly on April 25th at the age of 41. Absolutely horrible, I've been in a daze ever since and I can't imagine what she and his family are going through.

I only knew him through sitemails and league forum discussions, but he always seemed like a great guy, helped out a lot last year with the standings page and volunteered right away this year to be one of the commissioners. He was also very good at Sim Baseball, so good that his last team started play in NebHusker's Eight Is Enough league four days before his death and currently has the best record in the league at 39-19!

I asked his wife about any charitable donations we could make in his name, and she said we could donate to the American Heart Assocation in his name (David J. WInkelman). I would encourage anyone who can spare some money to do so.

Out of respect for the situation and due to the logistical difficulties this creates, the start of the WIS Championship will be postponed for at least a week. Please bear with me as I try to handle this. I understand what will need to be done (finding new commissioners for his six leagues, filing a ticket with admin to switch commissionership and remove wink's teams) but it will take me a bit of time. Thanks everyone for your patience.
5/10/2022 7:49 AM
Always awful to hear of something like this.
5/10/2022 8:01 AM
Condolences to the family. Tough news for sure….whatever time it takes is just fine with me.
5/10/2022 8:26 AM
That is horrific news. I, too, offer sincere condolences to his family.
If there is anything I can do to assist in checking teams or anything let me know.

I also think we should keep wink's 6 teams in the championship. They are already entered and verified and maybe we could get schwarze or admin or someone not in the tourney to manage them occasionally to avoid fatigue. Consider it a memorial or WIS send off of sorts. However, if there is a way to remove his teams and donate the fees back to the family somehow, I would support that.
5/10/2022 8:32 AM
Devastating. Thank you for sharing this news so that we are all aware of the situation. My condolences to all who knew him.
5/10/2022 8:34 AM
Just brutal news...my condolences to all.
5/10/2022 8:37 AM
Very sorry to hear that. I, too, have only had positive encounters with wink on this site. I'm definitely thinking about and praying for his family.
5/10/2022 9:00 AM
I am very saddened to hear this. George, please thank his wife on our behalf for taking the time to inform us. The WIS is absolutely meaningless in the light of what she is going through, and for her to reach out to you and us at a time like this - people nether she nor David had ever met - displays consideration for others and a depth of humanity that only a good and decent person could possess. Please let her know that I am praying for her and her surviving family.
5/10/2022 9:04 AM
Terrible news. So sad. My condolences to all this effects.
5/10/2022 9:47 AM
Sorry to hear. Prayers and condolences to his family. Very considerate for his wife to reach out to the WIS community.
5/10/2022 9:56 AM
Take as long as you need. I'd be up for commissioner in some way. I have zero other teams going at the moment.
5/10/2022 10:02 AM
So sad--can't even imagine. Thanks for letting us know.

I'm absolutely willing to manage David's teams if the consensus is that they should remain in the tournament.
5/10/2022 10:16 AM
Terrible news. I can step in to commish, or run a team that he already entered.
5/10/2022 10:38 AM
Absolutely crushing and devastating. Only 41 too, I can’t imagine what his family is going through.

I only recently had encounters with wink, through doctork’s stadium tourneys, and his help with the standings thread. When trying to create my own standings thread for a progressive I run, I reached out to him and he (like others I reached out too) were nothing but supportive and helpful and sent multiple sitemails trying to ensure I had the information I needed.
5/10/2022 11:18 AM
I would agree with the memorial idea of keeping his teams in, and having someone do the auto rest and player hierarchies. And maybe someone checking in every couple days. That would seem like the proper send-off.
5/10/2022 11:54 AM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.