Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Btw, really cool tool you put together Trail, well done!
4/4/2023 9:45 AM
Huh - wasn't sure if it was a different formula for a shooting possession vs a standard possession (where turnovers are also counted).

I've adjusted to 0.475 for consistency - thanks for the recon here! In KenPom (and Benis) we trust.
4/4/2023 11:04 AM
Update: just rolled out 2.1.1 with an improved Trail's Tips section.

Barring any bugs, this is probably going to be a good stopping point for me for now! But please keep the feedback coming for anyone experimenting with the tool and I'll start to create a backlog if any requests come up.

Cheers!
4/4/2023 12:32 PM
great spreadsheet....though I do have one question, its awesome that it shows you who to avoid, but how would you know from just looking at the spreadsheet where that player plays so I know which player to beef up on distro to attack? For instance, it tells me to avoid a SG but he typically plays at PG. Maybe eventually it would be cool to add what position each player typically plays at if that is even possible??
4/4/2023 12:36 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 4/4/2023 12:37:00 PM (view original):
great spreadsheet....though I do have one question, its awesome that it shows you who to avoid, but how would you know from just looking at the spreadsheet where that player plays so I know which player to beef up on distro to attack? For instance, it tells me to avoid a SG but he typically plays at PG. Maybe eventually it would be cool to add what position each player typically plays at if that is even possible??
thanks crabman!

i love this idea and it's definitely something i'd want for my own convenience as well. however, in this case, you still have to look at their lineup in recent games. maybe one day ill conjure up the skills and energy to scrape this information and that would allow me to improve the weighting and accuracy even more, but it's beyond what i could accomplish with simple import html / xml g-sheet formulas :)

4/4/2023 3:51 PM
Posted by trail on 4/4/2023 3:51:00 PM (view original):
thanks crabman!

i love this idea and it's definitely something i'd want for my own convenience as well. however, in this case, you still have to look at their lineup in recent games. maybe one day ill conjure up the skills and energy to scrape this information and that would allow me to improve the weighting and accuracy even more, but it's beyond what i could accomplish with simple import html / xml g-sheet formulas :)

No worries, I fully understand its a huge task to somehow make it work....

Love the spreadsheet, I think the only thing I disagree with is the tempo....seems to chose up-tempo a lot more then I would ever think but I am mostly an anti-up-tempo guy
4/4/2023 7:38 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 4/4/2023 7:38:00 PM (view original):
thanks crabman!

Love the spreadsheet, I think the only thing I disagree with is the tempo....seems to chose up-tempo a lot more then I would ever think but I am mostly an anti-up-tempo guy
interesting - thanks for sharing. i think i have some work to do to refine the tempo settings a bit more. i threw in a bunch of scenarios, but not fully satisfied. the +/- are formula-based and therefore more reliable.

can you lmk which team/matchups you're looking at and i can take a look into it?
4/4/2023 10:15 PM
Posted by trail on 4/4/2023 10:15:00 PM (view original):
thanks crabman!

interesting - thanks for sharing. i think i have some work to do to refine the tempo settings a bit more. i threw in a bunch of scenarios, but not fully satisfied. the +/- are formula-based and therefore more reliable.

can you lmk which team/matchups you're looking at and i can take a look into it?
For my own tempo formula (using the hughes/cubby spreadsheet), I use the following:

Depth Score
Team Stamina
Opp Stamina

Possession Score
Team players (avg > 5 mpg)
Opp Players (avg > 5 mpg)
Team BH
Opp BH
Team Reb
Opp Reb

Bench Score
Team Bench Rating
Opp Bench Rating

=(Depth Score *0.7) + (Possession Score * 0.2) + (Bench Score * 0.1)

Just to give an idea of what I usually value when thinking about tempo. Of course, I usually don't follow the formula due to freshmen promises or other reasons.

4/4/2023 11:28 PM
thanks crabman!

Sure, looking at my UConn squad (3289) vs putz K-State team (3358) from a few days ago. Says I should have gone uptempo but I dont know, I didnt like uptempo in that situation....of course maybe thats why I am not as good at HD lol.

4/4/2023 11:40 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 4/4/2023 11:40:00 PM (view original):
thanks crabman!

Sure, looking at my UConn squad (3289) vs putz K-State team (3358) from a few days ago. Says I should have gone uptempo but I dont know, I didnt like uptempo in that situation....of course maybe thats why I am not as good at HD lol.

haha yea i stand by this recommendation. your team is significantly better and the relative advantage of your bench is even greater than your starters. your stamina is not great, that's true, but neither is theirs (your starters stamina is actually better than theirs) and you have one extra player in total.
4/5/2023 9:50 AM
Posted by mlitney on 4/4/2023 11:28:00 PM (view original):
thanks crabman!

For my own tempo formula (using the hughes/cubby spreadsheet), I use the following:

Depth Score
Team Stamina
Opp Stamina

Possession Score
Team players (avg > 5 mpg)
Opp Players (avg > 5 mpg)
Team BH
Opp BH
Team Reb
Opp Reb

Bench Score
Team Bench Rating
Opp Bench Rating

=(Depth Score *0.7) + (Possession Score * 0.2) + (Bench Score * 0.1)

Just to give an idea of what I usually value when thinking about tempo. Of course, I usually don't follow the formula due to freshmen promises or other reasons.

appreciate this mlitney - will keep this in mind as i'm building out a new formula
4/5/2023 9:51 AM
Posted by trail on 4/5/2023 9:50:00 AM (view original):
thanks crabman!

haha yea i stand by this recommendation. your team is significantly better and the relative advantage of your bench is even greater than your starters. your stamina is not great, that's true, but neither is theirs (your starters stamina is actually better than theirs) and you have one extra player in total.
I think thats the hesitation with uptempo though, my stamina isnt great and we pretty much know that going uptempo mainly only affects your team unless you are running a FB/Press combo.

4/5/2023 11:25 AM
Posted by crabman26 on 4/5/2023 11:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by trail on 4/5/2023 9:50:00 AM (view original):
thanks crabman!

I think thats the hesitation with uptempo though, my stamina isnt great and we pretty much know that going uptempo mainly only affects your team unless you are running a FB/Press combo.

that's interesting - i wasn't aware that was a consensus.

i do still notice a higher fatigue effect when facing press teams, but i haven't paid close enough attention or run any analysis to determine how facing FB alone or non-FB up-tempo impacts fatigue / minutes played by my starters.
4/5/2023 12:17 PM
Well, maybe its not a consensus, but Ive had or seen discussions about uptempo not having the impact that it should on the opposing team. Im sure it does have some impact on the opposition but certainly not as much as it should.
4/5/2023 2:06 PM
Thanks for the tool. It looks awesome and definitely helps speed up the game planning a bit. I do have one question, though.

It may just be me as a newbie but when you're sheet recommends a 3pt Frequency between -5 to +5 where are you setting that? I only know where to set frequency when you are winning or losing late or individual settings from +2 to -2. If you could provide some explanation to a newb like me I would greatly appreciate it.
4/6/2023 10:48 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.