Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Posted by jdreid159 on 4/6/2023 10:48:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the tool. It looks awesome and definitely helps speed up the game planning a bit. I do have one question, though.

It may just be me as a newbie but when you're sheet recommends a 3pt Frequency between -5 to +5 where are you setting that? I only know where to set frequency when you are winning or losing late or individual settings from +2 to -2. If you could provide some explanation to a newb like me I would greatly appreciate it.
Coaching -> Team Game Plan -> Defense -> Positioning

It is a suggestion about how to position your team's defense in response to the opponent's 3pt frequency.
4/7/2023 3:27 AM
Posted by bpielcmc on 4/7/2023 3:27:00 AM (view original):
Thanks for the tool. It looks awesome and definitely helps speed up the game planning a bit. I do have one question, though.

It may just be me as a newbie but when you're sheet recommends a 3pt Frequency between -5 to +5 where are you setting that? I only know where to set frequency when you are winning or losing late or individual settings from +2 to -2. If you could provide some explanation to a newb like me I would greatly appreciate it.
Coaching -> Team Game Plan -> Defense -> Positioning

It is a suggestion about how to position your team's defense in response to the opponent's 3pt frequency.
So I get defensive positioning and set it every game. His recommendations have both 3pt frequency and defensive positioning recommendations. I'm trying to figure out what that extra setting is (or if it's referring to something else).
4/7/2023 2:30 PM

that's a fair question and i don't frankly love the way my tool handles this, but here's my best attempt at explaining

this setting is primarily directed towards players you don't already have at +2 or -2. those guys you're probably leaving at that setting for most matchups. but for those in between, this setting is intended to guide you on where you should adjust them for a given matchup. i think of +5 as recommending two full stop increases (e.g. from -1 to +1, or 0 to +2) while -5 is the opposite (from 0 to -2 or +2 to -1).

this could pertain to guys you have at -2 and +2 as well. maybe there's a dude you have at -2 who could probably hit threes at a decent rate against an opponent the tool is giving you a +4 or +5 against, so you bump him to -1. likewise, for guys at +2, maybe you consider bumping them down a notch to +1 if you're getting a -4 or -5. but if they're solely one-dimensional scorers who have no business shooting inside, it wouldn't be crazy to just leave them at +5.

hopefully this helps!
4/7/2023 2:33 PM
Oh and while I'm here I'll announce some quality of life updates in the latest version (2.2.1)
  • You can now select your team and opponent from a drop-down (no more hunting down IDs)
  • Defensive matchups now does NOT factor in rebounding into a player's defensive skill. This will be more accurate for determining which players can be exploited based on purely guarding skills.
  • +/- settings were fine-tuned a bit
  • A minor bug in the tempo settings was corrected.
4/7/2023 2:50 PM
Funnily enough I noticed that you were including Reb in defensive ratings and it made me consider whether that was a valid idea and I was just coming around to the idea that it is lol
4/10/2023 5:12 AM
Posted by marl_karx on 4/10/2023 5:12:00 AM (view original):
Funnily enough I noticed that you were including Reb in defensive ratings and it made me consider whether that was a valid idea and I was just coming around to the idea that it is lol
lmao i think it for sure makes sense when looking at a player’s overall skill and defensive contribution, but when looking for mismatches to exploit, it’s not something i really consider. open to opinions here tho!
4/10/2023 6:59 AM
any plans into putting suggested Player Distribution?
4/18/2023 3:32 PM
This is awesome
... even though I don't understand hardly any of it!

Keep up the great work!!!
4/19/2023 11:15 AM
Posted by khanson on 4/18/2023 3:32:00 PM (view original):
any plans into putting suggested Player Distribution?
I definitely want to do this! It'll probably be part of the next update - just need to fine-tune the formula and determine the best way to visualize.
4/19/2023 3:57 PM
UPDATE 2.3
Sheet now works during the pre-season when no games have been played and post-season after EEs happen (EEs are dropped from the IQ page after this).
4/20/2023 9:34 AM
For what ever reason this will not pull data for my team, Hawaii Pacific, in Tark.
4/22/2023 7:34 AM
Uhm...how do you have 13 players on your roster? I didn't know that was possible. That's what is breaking things. How often does this happen and for the love of god HOW?
4/22/2023 8:45 PM
probably a 100% sim recruited roster, sim ai can occasionally violate the 13 player rule. i do not believe players can, and its pretty darn rare so seems like you could pretty safely ignore it for your sheet.

also, for the love of god man, post the link or under the ID that has it!
4/22/2023 9:15 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/22/2023 9:16:00 PM (view original):
probably a 100% sim recruited roster, sim ai can occasionally violate the 13 player rule. i do not believe players can, and its pretty darn rare so seems like you could pretty safely ignore it for your sheet.

lol well it's fixed now anyway! lmk if you still have any issues knee.

separately, another quick UPDATE

this one isn't sexy but was tremendously annoying. on mobile, if you were searching a time like Illinois or North Carolina, the dropdown would default to any teams sorted ahead of that team in the validation, like Illinois-Chicago. ChatGPT suggested I resort the validation so schools with the shorter names were sorted first and this has fixed the issue! Another win for AI.
4/22/2023 9:27 PM
Posted by trail on 4/22/2023 9:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie on 4/22/2023 9:16:00 PM (view original):

lol well it's fixed now anyway! lmk if you still have any issues knee.

separately, another quick UPDATE

this one isn't sexy but was tremendously annoying. on mobile, if you were searching a time like Illinois or North Carolina, the dropdown would default to any teams sorted ahead of that team in the validation, like Illinois-Chicago. ChatGPT suggested I resort the validation so schools with the shorter names were sorted first and this has fixed the issue! Another win for AI.
pretty cool usage, any chance you have and would be up to share the transcript of that?
4/23/2023 2:51 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.