Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Posted by trail on 4/22/2023 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Uhm...how do you have 13 players on your roster? I didn't know that was possible. That's what is breaking things. How often does this happen and for the love of god HOW?
I have no clue. This is my first season there.
4/23/2023 4:17 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/23/2023 2:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trail on 4/22/2023 9:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie on 4/22/2023 9:16:00 PM (view original):
probably a 100% sim recruited roster, sim ai can occasionally violate the 13 player rule. i do not believe players can, and its pretty darn rare so seems like you could pretty safely ignore it for your sheet.

also, for the love of god man, post the link or under the ID that has it!
lol well it's fixed now anyway! lmk if you still have any issues knee.

separately, another quick UPDATE

this one isn't sexy but was tremendously annoying. on mobile, if you were searching a time like Illinois or North Carolina, the dropdown would default to any teams sorted ahead of that team in the validation, like Illinois-Chicago. ChatGPT suggested I resort the validation so schools with the shorter names were sorted first and this has fixed the issue! Another win for AI.
pretty cool usage, any chance you have and would be up to share the transcript of that?
ME
hey there - i'm having an issue with this google sheet i built where whenever i go to select a certain value from the data validation dropdown on mobile, it selects another value for some reason. the validation references another tab with school names like "Illinois" and "Illinois State" and for some reason whenever I try to choose Illinois from the drop-down, it selects Illinois State instead. The dropdown works fine on desktop, but this issue crops up on mobile. It prevents you from selecting any school that has alternative schools with a longer suffix, like "North Carolina" vs "North Carolina-Asheville" -- in that case, the former school cant be selected, it reverts to the latter. can you explain why this might be happening and/or ask any questions that might be necessary for you to help me troubleshoot?

GPT
It sounds like the issue you're experiencing may be related to how mobile devices handle autocomplete and/or the dropdown menu in the Google Sheet. One possibility is that when you tap on the dropdown menu, the mobile device may be trying to auto-complete the value based on what you've typed so far, and if there is a longer value that matches more closely to what you've typed, it may be selecting that instead of the value you actually wanted.

To help troubleshoot this issue, here are a few questions:
  • What type of mobile device are you using?
  • What version of the Google Sheets app are you using?
  • Are you experiencing this issue with other dropdown menus in the same Google Sheet, or only with this specific dropdown menu?
  • Have you tried clearing the cache of the Google Sheets app on your mobile device and see if that resolves the issue?
  • Can you provide more details on how you've set up the data validation for the dropdown menu, including any custom formulae or range references that you're using?
  • Answering these questions can help me better understand the issue and provide more targeted advice to help you troubleshoot the issue.

ME
i'm on an iOS device with the latest version of the Google Sheets app. this is the only dropdown im having this issue with. clearing the cache didn't help.

but your auto-complete idea seems reasonable. it always takes the value of the cell that's sorted first in the list (from top to bottom). for example, if you type in Illinois, the following options appear from top to bottom:

Illinois State University
Illinois
Illinois-Chicago

so, in this case, the dropdown reverts to illinois state university even when you try to select Illinois on mobile. I'm using a dropdown (from range) where all schools are listed. would the best course of action be to change the sort on the table so schools like "Illinois" are sorted first?

GPT
Yes, it's possible that changing the sort order of the schools list could resolve the issue. By default, when a dropdown is created from a range, it uses the order of the values in the range to determine the order of the dropdown items. So, if you sort the schools list so that the shorter names (e.g. "Illinois") appear before the longer names (e.g. "Illinois State University"), that should ensure that the correct item is selected when you choose from the dropdown.

To sort the schools list, you can go to the tab where the schools are listed and select the entire range of cells that includes the school names. Then, go to the "Data" menu and choose "Sort sheet by column" (or "Sort range" if you only want to sort a specific range of cells). In the "Sort range" dialog, choose the column that contains the school names as the sort column, and choose either "A-Z" or "Z-A" as the sort order, depending on whether you want to sort the names in ascending or descending order. Click "Sort" to apply the sort.

Once you've sorted the schools list, go back to the cell with the dropdown and try selecting the value again on your mobile device. It should now select the correct value based on the order of the dropdown items.
4/23/2023 7:56 PM
very interesting. its crazy to me both how capable and how incapable chatgpt can be sometimes. some of the stuff it can't do though i kinda wonder if its being held back.

curious, if you type illinois (where is this?), and select the other two, they both still work? or do they now select illinois instead (assuming you type illinois or less, not narrowing it down by typing more)?
4/24/2023 3:36 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/24/2023 3:36:00 PM (view original):
very interesting. its crazy to me both how capable and how incapable chatgpt can be sometimes. some of the stuff it can't do though i kinda wonder if its being held back.

curious, if you type illinois (where is this?), and select the other two, they both still work? or do they now select illinois instead (assuming you type illinois or less, not narrowing it down by typing more)?
all teams work fine now from my testing! it was because illinois is a shorter name (and technically a suffix of illinois-chicago) that it would auto complete with the value that was sorted first. stupid quirk that i’m sure wasn’t intentional based on the fact that it works perfectly fine on web but rears its head in the mobile app
4/25/2023 10:44 PM
Just another quick, minor update here: released some updates (2.3.1) that optimize the formulas used for transforming individual ratings into team ratings. They're fairly minor, but I believe represent a step forward.

4/26/2023 7:54 AM
Hi Trail - When I was game planning, I found one very minor update for you: There are two Westminster Colleges in D3, one in PA and one in MO. I added (MO) and (PA) to each name in the current version I'm using to make it work. Thanks!
4/29/2023 1:04 PM
trail, FT ratings are of interest to me because it's basically the most direct mapping of a Rating into scoring in the game. eg if we set A+ = 87% then it is hard and fast that A+ = 1.74 pts per possession.

So when you incorporate FT ratings into your evaluator, I'm curious about your thoughts on how this lets you put other Ratings into this same "currency"?

Riffing on methodologies, something like (FT-50)/4 adds a window dressing term of -12.5 (-50/4) unless it is supposed to be a numerical prediction (which I don't know what result it is predicting)

Meanwhile something like (Rating)^1.1 is really just a variable inflator eg 50^1.1 is 50 x ~1.479 while 90^1.1 is 90 x ~1.568 so approximately +9% difference that lets you add weight as the Rating gets larger (which I think is debatably backwards once you reach a certain threshold and would need to be tapered)

but combining those two techniques brings in second order effects eg (Rating-60)^1.1 where the 60 would be the baseline comparison (ie pretend you are measuring offense and the defense is 60 in every Rating)

This approach seems more fruitful to me if we're not able to convert Ratings into Pts/Possession and are going to output our results as a ranking

5/13/2023 3:40 AM
To add to what CPA_ROD mentioned above. There is also a York (PA) and a York (NY). Both are getting confused in the game and you can only see York (PA). I am changing it in my own local copy.
5/25/2023 1:22 PM
Trail, thank you so much for your hard work and your time. I suck at game planning but this helped a ton.
5/26/2023 12:47 PM
this should be pinned
6/11/2023 6:41 AM
thanks for the feedback and kind words, guys!

re: mismatch in team names, this is something i'm aiming to address soon. i've already created a mapping for DI, which i'll roll out shortly. i just need to do the same for D2 and D3, then these issues should be resolved. annoyingly, the names WIS uses on the back end (which i've hijacked for purposes of this sheet) are not the same as what we see on the front-end. i'll provide an update here once this has been resolved!

regarding free throw ratings, there was a mildly rigorous exercise i did correlating FT shooting rates based on different scoring types to determine how much to incorporate FT into each rating. right now, it's built into a player's 3-point rating, driving rating, and post scoring rating (from lowest to highest in terms of weighting). hope that clarifies a bit!

cheers!
6/12/2023 1:04 PM
Hey Trail, I can't find St. Joseph's (ME) in the dropdown of team names. I didn't try other worlds. In the tab for team IDs, it looks like there are two schools listed as "Saint Joseph's" and the ID matches the St. Joseph's (ME) that I'm looking for. I'm wondering if the dropdown isn't showing it because two schools have the same exact name in the Google doc. Thanks!

EDIT: I just saw your post right above this one. Got it. Thanks for addressing the names!
6/19/2023 7:32 AM (edited)
Posted by randysruns on 6/19/2023 7:32:00 AM (view original):
Hey Trail, I can't find St. Joseph's (ME) in the dropdown of team names. I didn't try other worlds. In the tab for team IDs, it looks like there are two schools listed as "Saint Joseph's" and the ID matches the St. Joseph's (ME) that I'm looking for. I'm wondering if the dropdown isn't showing it because two schools have the same exact name in the Google doc. Thanks!

EDIT: I just saw your post right above this one. Got it. Thanks for addressing the names!
Of course! I find it frustrating as well. Were you able to figure out how to manually override the ID? Until I'm able to fix this, I'm considering making this manual fix a little more straightforward.
6/19/2023 9:33 AM
Posted by trail on 6/19/2023 9:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by randysruns on 6/19/2023 7:32:00 AM (view original):

Of course! I find it frustrating as well. Were you able to figure out how to manually override the ID? Until I'm able to fix this, I'm considering making this manual fix a little more straightforward.
I did! Thanks!
6/19/2023 12:23 PM
First of all thanks for all of the work, great spreadsheet. I was game planning for my game today and D1 Hawaii did not show up in the drop down to select my opponent. Thanks again.
6/26/2023 8:48 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Trail's Team Evaluator 2.3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.