Vote for the sixth Round 1 theme Topic

After much discussion, redcped, ronthegenius and I have decided on the following two options to be used for the sixth and final round 1 theme. Please vote for one. If you don't have a preference, you can simply check the "No preference, see results" box.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option #1

$120 Million - Magnificent Seven
Idea from: mllama54

Description: Take any particular real life team (i.e., 1927 Yankees). You must use at least 18 players from your selected team and those players' cumulative salary must be at least $60 million. You get to add 7 free agents to your roster. Those 7 players can be from any other team, but must be from the same season as your selected team. (You are allowed to use combined seasons). If your selected team doesn't have 18 eligible players on the roster (which is possible for the early-era teams), then that team cannot be selected.

Salary Cap: $120 Million
Seasons: Any
DH: No
Clones: No
Ballpark: Must use home park of the team you selected. If the park is not available, then you get WhatifSports Park.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option #2

$120 Million - One Franchise, Spread the Wealth
Idea from: discodemo

Description: All of your players must come from the same franchise. All 25 players on your roster must have salaries between $1 million and $11 million. See baseball-reference if you are uncertain which teams are part a single franchise (i.e., 1901-60 Senators / 1961-2022 Twins is considered the Twins franchise, while 1961-71 Senators / 1972-2022 Texas Rangers is considered the Rangers franchise).

Salary Cap: $120 Million
Seasons: Any
DH: No
Clones: No
Ballpark: Must use home park of one of your rostered players called home.
4/13/2023 10:06 AM
Please vote which of the two theme options you prefer. If you don't have a preference, select "No Preference".
Votes: 79
(Last vote received: 5/1/2023 11:40 AM)
4/13/2023 10:08 AM
Voting will close 48 hours after the original post, so Saturday 10:08 am EDT.
4/13/2023 10:53 AM
Wow. Magnificent 7 way back in the rearview. Wasn't expecting that.
4/13/2023 8:41 PM
Same… I for sure thought option 1 would be leading… In fear of “table talk”, i’ll hold my opinion.
4/14/2023 12:24 AM
Funny, I thought exactly the opposite. Different strokes for different folks. Makes the world an interesting place.
4/14/2023 6:29 AM
I voted for 1 but once I started building a few teams...it's much more of a challenge than I expected it would be.
4/14/2023 9:21 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 4/14/2023 9:21:00 AM (view original):
I voted for 1 but once I started building a few teams...it's much more of a challenge than I expected it would be.
Yeah I don’t like that. I like my 20 minute roster building teams
4/14/2023 1:14 PM
the poll is now closed. "Spread the Wealth is the winner"
4/15/2023 10:11 AM
The themes post has been updated to include the winner.
4/15/2023 12:42 PM
I vote for 1 too, but that’s why I knew #2 would win. I enjoyed WISC teams in the past that took a lot of thought and challenge to build. The general consensus of last year or two has been most people enjoy easier roster building themes.

always fun and unique regardless, but to me it was a no brainer on which would win
4/17/2023 1:37 PM
Posted by chargingryno on 4/17/2023 1:37:00 PM (view original):
I vote for 1 too, but that’s why I knew #2 would win. I enjoyed WISC teams in the past that took a lot of thought and challenge to build. The general consensus of last year or two has been most people enjoy easier roster building themes.

always fun and unique regardless, but to me it was a no brainer on which would win
For me it was more having difficulty hitting the cap. Years with expensive FA options, I couldn't find a team with 18 rosterable players. And the few teams I found where I was comfortable with the value of 18 players, I couldn't use up the remaining cap. I didn't spend a ton of time on it, so there are likely good options out there, but I think they would've taken a lot of time to find.
4/17/2023 1:50 PM
The problem with theme #1 in my opinion isn't that it is a challenge to build, but rather that (1) as Jtpsops says, it's kind of difficult to hit the cap and (2) we already have a single season theme in R1 of the WISC (the $100M). Also, a theme should be challenging in the sense that it should be a challenge to build the best possible team, not a challenge in the sense that it is difficult to reach the salary cap. (I voted for option #2)

4/17/2023 9:03 PM
Vote for the sixth Round 1 theme Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.