Round 1 Sound Off, 2023 Topic

Personally, I think getting swept by a crappy team that is on a pace to lose 120 games is way worse than losing streaks. There may be a reason for a losing streak (i.e., stretch of games vs over .500 teams or maybe 1-run luck is regressing).

But to lose to some random starting pitcher with a 7.94 ERA, who started the game at 78% and he outpitches your 100% stud pitcher is maddening. It's like you have AK vs opponent's AQ, flopping AKx, getting all the chips in the middle, turn Jack, river ten.
7/28/2023 11:37 AM
Another mauch. Keep it coming WIS!
7/29/2023 12:28 AM
i think i was in 5th place around the 100 game mark, now every session is 1-5 and every 10 game stretch is 3-7, now in 33rd place. this is beyond dumb.
7/30/2023 12:06 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/26/2023 10:31:00 AM (view original):
My $70M team started 51-41, scoring more than 3 runs in 52 of 92 games. Since then, 10-25, scoring more than 3 runs in 7 of 35. But ya, nothing wrong with the SIM.
My 120M team started 50-32 and in first place by a wide margin...We've since went 24-39 and are 2 games out of the playoffs....
8/1/2023 1:35 AM
no changes made, fatigue hasn't played an issue...just garbage
8/1/2023 1:36 AM
I'm off to a 34-44 start to the final 6th of the season and have lost my entire lead. That didn't take long.
8/2/2023 1:26 AM
You'll probably get it back as we finish up the season with divisional play, since I will playing mostly above-500 teams.
8/2/2023 7:28 AM
34th all the way down to 56 now. Keep that slide coming WIS! Yee haw!
8/2/2023 2:34 PM
Posted by schwarze on 8/2/2023 7:28:00 AM (view original):
You'll probably get it back as we finish up the season with divisional play, since I will playing mostly above-500 teams.
My playoff position became precarious in 2 leagues, too. I have 3 that are basically locks, one in a tie, and two that need help. So that means I should lose ground in the postseason, because owners below me look likely to have more teams in.
8/2/2023 3:37 PM
barracuda3 currently has 6 playoff teams. I have 4.5. And the 1.5 teams of mine that are on the playoff bubble of the playoffs are playing most of their remaining games against over-.500 teams.
8/2/2023 4:11 PM
I never really expected to do well in my first go round in this championship but that being said, I am pretty disappointed with the performance of my teams considering some of the rosters that I put together for this. I’ve always found this league to be about maximizing ops and era and whip numbers by drafting the fewest innings and lowest at bats needed to avoid fatigue issues and in doing so keeping those stats high. I had one kind of gimmick all hitting team but other than that, my regular season whip and era and ops ranked either number 1 or top 3 in every league I am in other than that 1894 hitting team. Not sure if fielding and plus range is more valued than when I used to play regularly 7-10 years ago but I can’t believe that somee of my teams are 15-20 games under .500 when you look at this raw overall team numbers from the regular season compared to the other rosters in my leagues and I am not suffering fatigue anywhere and minimized the innings and at bats as I always did. Anyone with some insight on this or if the sim engine has changed drastically from back then? The defensive side is the only thing I can think of.
8/2/2023 5:15 PM
Dad (marinerrott) has decided that Round 1 will be his WISC swansong. Even if he qualifies for the cage (he currently sits 24th), he will not participate in Round 2 due to poor health. He no longer has the energy and stamina needed to build six good teams. The commissioners will have to decide what to do if he does finish in the top 24.
8/4/2023 9:21 AM
This has happened in the past. A couple of years ago I qualified for round 2, but declined due to lack of interest in the themes. The same would have been true for me this year, though I am nowhere near qualifying this time around. The 25th overall owner will get the first open spot, and so on down the line until round 2 is filled.
8/4/2023 9:34 AM
Posted by ericmill16 on 8/2/2023 5:15:00 PM (view original):
I never really expected to do well in my first go round in this championship but that being said, I am pretty disappointed with the performance of my teams considering some of the rosters that I put together for this. I’ve always found this league to be about maximizing ops and era and whip numbers by drafting the fewest innings and lowest at bats needed to avoid fatigue issues and in doing so keeping those stats high. I had one kind of gimmick all hitting team but other than that, my regular season whip and era and ops ranked either number 1 or top 3 in every league I am in other than that 1894 hitting team. Not sure if fielding and plus range is more valued than when I used to play regularly 7-10 years ago but I can’t believe that somee of my teams are 15-20 games under .500 when you look at this raw overall team numbers from the regular season compared to the other rosters in my leagues and I am not suffering fatigue anywhere and minimized the innings and at bats as I always did. Anyone with some insight on this or if the sim engine has changed drastically from back then? The defensive side is the only thing I can think of.
There have been no major changes to the sim engine in years
8/4/2023 9:35 AM
Here's my riposte to people who complain about blowing late leads.

I buy a premium closer with 45-48 IP and 50% higher $/IP than my team average. He cannot pitch in every save opportunity, so I set him to "save situations only", and accept that when he's not available, I am more likely to blow a lead. My results are:

Closer: 190/210 save opportunities converted (90.48%)
Others 89/159 save opportunities converted (55.97%)
Overall 279/369 save opportunities converted (75.61%)

I think a 75% conversion rate is very good. Marinerrott showed me how important it is to have a premium closer. Thanks, Dad.
8/5/2023 12:54 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19|20 Next ▸
Round 1 Sound Off, 2023 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.