This is where you can complain about your slugger with 50 HRs and a 1.100 OPS hitting only .216 with 1 HR in 67 ABs. Or when your best reliever with a sub 0.90 whip gives up 5 runs in the 9th to lose 8-7 and has an ERA over 9.00 (I'm looking at you Jim Hearn).

Misery loves company. Share your bad beats here.
2/8/2024 9:50 PM
I'm thinking we should change the thread name to the "Jim Hearn Complaint Department" or "Jigger Statz Whiskey Club"
2/8/2024 10:28 PM
Four people with more than 8 teams. Three of us did poorly in the first game. I went 6-10. thejuice6 and footballmm11 also had a bad first session. Only 3dayrotation had more than 8 teams win their first game.
2/9/2024 3:00 PM (edited)
Game 2 - my results were worse than Game 1. Here we go again...

2/9/2024 1:59 PM
Better 2nd session (8-7) but still under water. Five 0-2 teams and just three 2-0.
2/9/2024 2:32 PM
After a few nice rounds, I just went 1-14 in the 2/12 pm slate. Ouch
2/12/2024 2:06 PM
Even though I'm not in the Cubs league, I, of course, had to look in on our man Jigger Statz. Needless to say, he's dominating (.382/.432/.529, 4 + plays).
2/12/2024 3:03 PM
Thru 11 games, I have 9 teams over .500 and 7 teams under .500, so right at the cusp of getting the maximum of 8 teams to advance.
2/12/2024 5:39 PM
Posted by barracuda3 on 2/12/2024 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Even though I'm not in the Cubs league, I, of course, had to look in on our man Jigger Statz. Needless to say, he's dominating (.382/.432/.529, 4 + plays).
you're my boy blue!
2/12/2024 5:58 PM
To show what little I know about WIS, I have 8 teams. Through 14 games, 4 have losing records, 3 have .500 records and only one has a winning record. That one team....my Cubs squad who I thought would be the worst of the bunch. Of course lead by the star Jigger Statz.
2/13/2024 5:52 PM
I have an idea for a Jigger Statz Memorial Classic Cocktail theme league, but I don't think it would be popular because it would be pretty restrictive and yet require a lot of research.

I tried to put together a team for it yesterday. I spent 3+ hours and came up with only a mediocre team. I think if I spent another 6+ hours on it I could get to something decent.
2/14/2024 11:58 AM
Since I'm sure that everyone is dying to know...

12 players would be chosen in accordance with the following classic cocktails:

Old-Fashioned: choose one player in one of their year 40+ seasons
Martinez: choose one player named Martinez
Martini: choose one player named Martini (yes, there's only one in the database: Nick. Deal with it. I'm not doing a cocktail league without Martini)
Gibson: choose one player named Gibson
Manhattan: choose one player in a season in which they played their home games in Manhattan (Polo Grounds, Hilltop Park)
Rob Roy: choose one player named Rob and another player named Roy (these need to be exact. The cocktail is a Rob Roy, not a Roberto Royster nor a Robert Royce nor even a Robb Royer)
Tom Collins: choose one player named Tom and another player named Collins (same caveat: exact matches only)
Harvey Wallbanger: Choose one player who played for the 1982 "Harvey's Wallbangers" Brewers (any season in their career is OK)
Ramos Gin Fizz: Choose one player named Ramos
Brandy Alexander: choose one player named Alexander (again, exact match)

That yields 12 players. For each of these players, choose exactly one teammate from the same team and season.

Your 25th player, it should go without saying, will be 1923 Jigger Statz.

No clones, no WW, no AAA. DH yes (with all this drinking a designated driver is in order, so a designated hitter seems like a good idea as well)

$110M cap
Choose a stadium in which one of your players played their home games in the season you chose

Of course, the Theme League Classifieds post would include cocktail recipes (measured in jiggers of course) and a brief (or not-so-brief) history of each cocktail.
2/14/2024 1:24 PM (edited)
A brutal 3-13 performance for my 16 teams in todays pm session (5 games lost in 8th inning or later). Sure hope this evening is better,.
2/14/2024 6:05 PM
4-12 session. I will not have to worry about the 8 team max at this pace.
2/15/2024 10:49 AM
Posted by barracuda3 on 2/14/2024 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Since I'm sure that everyone is dying to know...

12 players would be chosen in accordance with the following classic cocktails:

Old-Fashioned: choose one player in one of their year 40+ seasons
Martinez: choose one player named Martinez
Martini: choose one player named Martini (yes, there's only one in the database: Nick. Deal with it. I'm not doing a cocktail league without Martini)
Gibson: choose one player named Gibson
Manhattan: choose one player in a season in which they played their home games in Manhattan (Polo Grounds, Hilltop Park)
Rob Roy: choose one player named Rob and another player named Roy (these need to be exact. The cocktail is a Rob Roy, not a Roberto Royster nor a Robert Royce nor even a Robb Royer)
Tom Collins: choose one player named Tom and another player named Collins (same caveat: exact matches only)
Harvey Wallbanger: Choose one player who played for the 1982 "Harvey's Wallbangers" Brewers (any season in their career is OK)
Ramos Gin Fizz: Choose one player named Ramos
Brandy Alexander: choose one player named Alexander (again, exact match)

That yields 12 players. For each of these players, choose exactly one teammate from the same team and season.

Your 25th player, it should go without saying, will be 1923 Jigger Statz.

No clones, no WW, no AAA. DH yes (with all this drinking a designated driver is in order, so a designated hitter seems like a good idea as well)

$110M cap
Choose a stadium in which one of your players played their home games in the season you chose

Of course, the Theme League Classifieds post would include cocktail recipes (measured in jiggers of course) and a brief (or not-so-brief) history of each cocktail.
If you want to expand to include beers, it creates more possibilities.

Dos Equis - must roster Jimmie Foxx
Miller - pick any (Huggins, Rick, Hack, etc)
Bud - pick any (Black, Byerly, etc)
Blue Moon - must roster Odom
Samuel Adams
etc
2/15/2024 1:48 PM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.