Savage XIV Rosters/Commentary Topic

btw if anyone has heard from jh, please tell him to check his sitemail and get back to me please
3/13/2024 7:23 PM
Posted by dh555 on 3/13/2024 7:21:00 PM (view original):
oh and i almost forgot....we were supposed to vote on "tanking" in the playoffs

im not sure what the odl rules are on it...didnt see it on page 1

do we even need limits set? i think everyone knows a tanking game when they see it

also what do we think would be an appropriate punishment?

i wanted to hear from everyone first before i set up the vote...i was just going to keep it simple and give myself the power to determine if someone "tanked" a playoff game or not...the punishment would be 10 points

Look at the rules in Bowis. Nothing in ODL yet, but I’m open to change it.
3/13/2024 7:25 PM
ahhh thats right bowis...no wonder i couldnt find it
3/13/2024 7:36 PM
Why just tanking in the playoffs?
Not sure what the rule is in other leagues (glad to see it is being addressed though), but I think the penalty should be punitive - like minus 5 points.
3/13/2024 8:13 PM
Posted by dontburnearl on 3/13/2024 8:13:00 PM (view original):
Not sure what the rule is in other leagues (glad to see it is being addressed though), but I think the penalty should be punitive - like minus 5 points.
I’ve always felt -8 would do the trick. Thats a full playoff series worth of points. And at this point when the nba rests its players a lot more than us it’s hard to say it’s not part of the game. Also why rest players in the savage regular season when every point counts and it’s uncapped.
3/13/2024 8:17 PM
BOWIS rules are simple enough, but I also super trust dh to just make the call. He has always been a fair dude. Having a rule set does give people something to refer to though.
3/13/2024 8:24 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 3/13/2024 8:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dontburnearl on 3/13/2024 8:13:00 PM (view original):
I’ve always felt -8 would do the trick. Thats a full playoff series worth of points. And at this point when the nba rests its players a lot more than us it’s hard to say it’s not part of the game. Also why rest players in the savage regular season when every point counts and it’s uncapped.
I am good with playoffs only. No one would ever tank a playoff game in RL, but people sit guys in reg season all the time. I get in this case it is different with so many resources. But the bigger issue is that it would be just such a massive pain in the *** to police the regular season.
3/13/2024 8:26 PM
jhsukow

1) Giannis Antetokounmpo - What a piece of basketball crap. He misses way too many threes, he misses too many free throws, he doesn't play enough minutes, he skips around from position to position in different seasons so he causes issues with team building. Pure.
Unadulterated. Garbage. What does unadulterated mean?

completely pure
adjective. Something that is unadulterated is completely pure and has had nothing added to it.

2) Shawn Kemp - More garbage. Even in his best seasons he has too many turnovers and fouls too much. Throws your rotations out of whack. I don't even like the way he spells his name. I prefer Sean.

3) Bill Walton - Another totally wasted pick. He only has two seasons that you can call good and neither one of them gets you thirty minutes per game. I heard that he was listed at 6' 11" because he was really over 7' tall, but he thought that anyone over 7' tall was a
freak.

4) Jayson Tatum - I don't really like the way he spells his name either. Why do you need the "y" in there? What's wrong with Jason? jcred5, back me up here.

5) Russell Westbrook - Finally, a player I can get on board with. Not really. So he gets some rebounds, half of them were probably his own misses. Too many turnovers, too many missed shots, and at some point in his career he quit making free throws. "I don't want anything that's free, from here on out I will earn those throws!"

6) Tree Rollins - He fouls too much and he is always trying to sleep all the time on team charter flights, which just makes his teammates mad and then they put sugar on his mashed potatoes when he isn't looking. Look, if I don't have anything bad to say about someone I will just make something up. Gotta keep the ball rolling.

7) Alvin Robertson - I have to apologize, but I like this pick. Lately there has been a trend to get guards who can rebound, Clarke, Looney, Vanderbilt, and so on, there's a bunch of them. Actually, they are all forwards who for some cracked up reason are rated 100% at SG. *************, it ****** me off. Back to Alvin. I always liked Alvin better than Simon and Theodore, but they were all fun. Alvin got game. Okay, so Alvin Robertson can play guard (for real *******) and he gets rebounds, he plays defense, he will add some assists, he will get more steals than turnovers. Yet everybody wants Jarrrrrrrred Vanderbilt and Kevon Looney, and nobody wants My Man Godfrey Alvin. All Alvin Gets is hate, just ************* hate. It ain't right. At least Alvin spells his name right. I can't say that about Alvan Adams. Hey, did I mention that I went to the same high school as Alvan Adams. I was there when we won state, going 33-0 in his senior season. When I was a senior we went a very disappointing 15-12. I was talking to Gaylan Yates about it (he was the starting point guard) and he blamed it on the head coach, Jim Koch. He said the coach made them play a system which held them back. The number one team was Southeast High School. They were really good. Anyhow, Gaylan told me that over the Christmas break the team played Southeast somewhere without any coaches, just the two teams playing for fun. Gaylan said that we blew them away. Maybe we had a good team with bad coaching. All the teachers loved Gaylan. I remember one time in 6th grade he got a 99 on a science test and he was mad because Mrs. Sheffler, the science teacher, took off one point for something. Maybe Gaylan was hanging on the rim, I don't know. Anyhow, Mrs. Sheffler was standing right there and Gaylan said "Mrs. Sheffler, you're a pig." She didn't do anything at all. If I had said it I would still be in after school detention. Some years later Gaylan's older brother Carlan was the team doctor for the Oklahoma City Thunder. So one year Dr. Carlan Yates said Tyson Chandler didn't pass the team physical, which meant that Chandler ended up winning a ring in Dallas and the Thunder ended up trading for Kendrick "The Blob" Perkins. Can you imagine the Thunder with Durant, Westbrook (when he could still shoot free throws), Harden, Ibaka, and Tyson Chandler?

8) Josh Smith - I've never used him, and I recently finished running the Savage Baseball draft right so I'm not going to look him up. Josh is a fine player who provides plenty of ________ and ________ for Josh's teams. A welcome addition to any squad! His teams have averaged 43 wins per season and have won three titles.

9) Kyle Korver - Hey, another guy who I like! It's raining threes! Did I ever mention that one time Andre Drummond punched Kyle in the face in the middle of a game?

10) Josh Hart - Okay, this whole eval is going sideways now, I like Hart too. He had a 20, 19 and 10 game for the Knicks last night. Then he ******* at Tom Thibodeau for taking him out of the game, even though the Knicks were up by about thirty points. This guy has more heart than me and Eddy Curry put together.

11) Tom Boerwinkle - When I was younger I used to make up my own Stat-o-Matic basketball teams and then actually play games with them against my other fictitious, made up teams. I kid you not, I made up a guy who was a backup PF/C who was named Tom Boerwinkle. I cannot explain this.

12) Gary Payton II - I would talk about Gary Payton Jr. here, but I believe that has already been done. Every time I see him playing for the Warriors he is always sneaking behind the defense. Cut, pass, dunk, repeat. I wonder why it took him so long to get some playing time in the NBA. They can give James Whitmore Jr. a shot at stardom, but not Gary Payton II?

Batman - Giannis Antetokounmpo

Robin - Sean Kemp (I know, and I'm not gonna change it.)

Alfred - Alvin Robertson

What I like - Cartoons with Alvin the Chipmunk, cartoons with Bullwinkle Moose and Rocket J. Squirrel.

What I am concerned about - my mental heath

Random Midge thought - There were three sons in the Yates family, the oldest was named Alan and he went to Harvard, the middle son was named Carlan and he went to Yale, the third son was named Gaylan and he went to Stanford.

3/13/2024 9:11 PM (edited)
Posted by robusk on 3/13/2024 8:24:00 PM (view original):
BOWIS rules are simple enough, but I also super trust dh to just make the call. He has always been a fair dude. Having a rule set does give people something to refer to though.
Agree with that
3/13/2024 9:36 PM
Now that I think about it, if you put the two best Kemps with the two best Waltons, toss in a couple of great Antetokounmpo seasons, some good Tatums, a couple of terrific Alvin Robertsons, sprinkle in some of those other guys…..you have the ingredients for a couple of outstanding teams. There, I said it. Blocks, steals, fouls, turnovers, yada yada. I don’t want any part of his best teams. (To be honest, I don’t want any part of anyone’s best teams.)
3/13/2024 11:18 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 3/13/2024 12:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 3/11/2024 5:41:00 PM (view original):
Ten days since the final pick.
I’m not loving this. Maybe other owners do it differently than me and mostly just draft guys and then build teams later. But if you are at least somewhat building teams as you go which nearly everyone must be doing to some basic extent, then it shouldn’t take this long.

it also isn’t consistent with the sentiment in drafts about how important it is to pick quickly. We’re approaching 2 weeks, what then is the harm in someone taking 12-24 hours to make pick.

I build as I draft, but I also draft value and not just fit, and with 12 players of five seasons each, well, the potential combinations are crazy high. So I play around with the combos for as long as possible, trying to milk all as much value as I possibly can. I usually wait until the SM from DH to go into final evaluation of the dozens of builds and make the teams, but none came. I made a team 2 days ago just to check the status & saw there were still 3 other people missing. I then said in this forum that I'd be in by Wednesday night at the latest (it's still Wednesday night for me) and was still in before getting any SM from dh.

I love this league, and I love this part of it the most, but I'm not going to lie, this takes too much of my time. The stress of the draft and the pressure to move quickly when literally everything else in my life is more important than WIS made me say at the very beginning I should probably skip out. I really should have. I ended up skipping a night where I should have been in the studio tweaking builds and stumbling across a mistake I made that allowed me to get even more value out of the squads, so I've been sitting here for the past 6 hours working on my teams. That effort probably won't mean a damn bit of difference, but I don't like half-assing anything I do, and not having won this thing once is really a big monkey on my back at this point.

Yeah, anyway. My teams are in. Good luck everybody.
3/14/2024 8:30 AM
So we still need a realignment, right? As in these are not the actual divisions?
3/14/2024 1:37 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 3/14/2024 1:37:00 PM (view original):
So we still need a realignment, right? As in these are not the actual divisions?
Correct
3/14/2024 4:46 PM
list of savages for the randomizer

jhsukow
gerryred
24kpyrite
robusk
jcred5
dh555
benhoidal
midge
raggedclaws
chewy3344
edsortails
ashamael
dbkc
ty84moss
pbandj
berkelon
tarheel1991
jethroeg
steelers821
uptowngbv
dontburnearl
notoriousj
riftonapple
ncmusician_7
3/14/2024 5:21 PM

There were 24 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. raggedclaws
  2. 24kpyrite
  3. uptowngbv
  4. pbandj
  5. tarheel1991
  6. benhoidal
  7. ty84moss
  8. jcred5
  9. dbkc
  10. gerryred
  11. dontburnearl
  12. chewy3344
  13. midge
  14. jethroeg
  15. dh555
  16. edsortails
  17. steelers821
  18. berkelon
  19. notoriousj
  20. ashamael
  21. ncmusician_7
  22. riftonapple
  23. jhsukow
  24. robusk
3/14/2024 5:22 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19...29 Next ▸
Savage XIV Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.