BNL #8 Draft - APB! Topic

I believe my window is now open, so I will take the 1938 New York Giants.

This could be huge mistake but I can't keep cogitating any longer.
3/31/2024 10:52 AM
It's time to begin the daggering! Take notes. This is where the fun really begins.

jbarr8888, you drafted yourself a couple good pitching teams in the 78 Orioles and the 68 Mets. Your assigned teams were both better than the '68 Senators that (checks notes ...) you stuck me with, ya bastard! The 38 Dodgers and 38 Cardinals both have some useful hitters and cheap backups. As a result, there aren't necessarily targets that can really cause you tremendous pain. But I think I found one that won't make you happy.

Let's start with your pitching. Those Amazin' Mets (Minus 1) provide you with pretty much a whole pitching staff. In fact, 8 of your 10 best arms come from them, and the other two from your O's. Seaver is clearly your best starter and therefore a dagger target to be sure, though he'd likely be replaced by Koosman or McGregor with about a half-run higher ERC#, depending on how you build the team. It's a hit, but maybe not a devastating one. The Mets also have basically the only relievers you want or need, but taking any one of them away isn't too painful.

Among your catchers, Babe Phelps is really the only one who can hit much, but he has only 253 PA. He's nice to have, but not crushing to lose either.

At 1st base, we find an interesting situation. Each of your four teams had exactly one qualifying player. You've got Johnny Mize at $6.93M, Eddie Murray at $6.45M, Dolph Camilli at $5.21M and Ed Kranepool at $1.64M. Now you've got my attention. This looks problematic, but let's keep looking.

At 2nd base, you've got 8 players and none of them is particularly great at hitting or fielding. Make yourself a fun platoon here.

At 3rd base, you've got a stud Doug DeCinces at a reasonable $5.48M with 28 HR and a great glove. You also have cheap options. But surely Dougie Boy there would be someone you'd miss.

At shortstop, whoo boy, that's a pile of stink right there. Bud Harrelson is probably your best one with a .228/.286/.268 slash and a B/B glove. Be my guest, pal. Use any of these guys. Don't let me stop you. Heck, please play two of them as often as possible.

In the outfield, your options for a high-range CF are limited to a couple guys who don't scare you with the bat much, or you can sacrifice the glove and use a better bat out there. Your best hitters here are Joe Medwick and Ken Singleton. I'm sure you'd like to use them and probably can afford them, and there is a little dropoff if you can't. So those are players to keep in mind.

But let's get back to your 1B situation. Mize and Camilli only have ratings at 1B, so you can't use them anywhere else. Murray is D-/D- at 3B. Kranepool is D-/D- in the outfield. So, I'm thinking, what happens if we take Kranepool away. That leaves you three 1B all over $5.2M, and you must roster two of them. What are you going to do? Make one a very expensive pinch hitter? Play stone-gloved Murray at 3B (Is an .858 fielding percentage bad? Asking for a friend) and forego the flashy mitt and bat of DeCinces over there? Perhaps I said too much already, because you aren't as completely stuck here as I've seen owners be in this league, but it's definitely going to limit your choices and force you into a difficult decision however you play it. No one else you could lose makes things quite as difficult.

So, say goodbye to Ed Kranepool of the 68 Mets and his low-priced 1B bat. Enjoy the puzzle.

As for ballparks, well the only outlier among them is Sportsman's Park with a high 2B rating and 1.08 park factor. I'm not sure if you'd actually use it, but the other three are similar enough that it doesn't really make your choice much harder to remove one. So, scratch Sportsman's Park off your list. I still think you'll be a strong contender in the division and league, but I hope my daggers have provided a little hit to your chances.
3/31/2024 1:35 PM
Picking within my window

1988 Milwaukee Brewers
3/31/2024 1:44 PM
time for the sharp end of the stick C_Burns04:
C: You've got decent low salary options at starter and backup. Will be able to form a decent platoon.
1B: Your best option is probably Wally Joyner on the iffy 88 Angels. Do I take him away? nah, you'd fill in with Dan Driessen and you have a couple of cheap low salary options. Not a promising dagger...
2B: Best option is probably Johnny Ray from those same Angels and you have a couple of low-ish backups (around 900k). Ok, this is an option. Still looking for maximum pain.
SS: Concepcion with the better bat, Ozzie Guillen the better glove. Good options here but only one low cost backup...hmn...
3B: Pete Rose, a slap hitting George Kell, and a super cheap Ray Knight. Taking him away forces to spend 1.2 mill on a backup. an option
OF: George Foster and Hoot Evers are your best options and good value in the mid $5 range. I could see nixing one of these guys.
Pitching: A really reasonable Tom Seaver and a more expensive Hal Newhouser from your last pick Tigers are the two choices here. The rest of the staff will be decent but nothing to be really scared of. so....
Well, it all comes down to do I want to hurt your hitting or pitching more? Tough choice but I'd only see Seaver once in a 4 game series, so say goodby to George Foster and Riverfront Stadium.
3/31/2024 8:30 PM (edited)
My 4th team will be the 1938 Pittsburgh Pirates
3/31/2024 3:34 PM
4th round pick is 1948 New York Yankees
3/31/2024 3:56 PM
As mentioned above, I had a backchannel suggestion to do the round 3 assignment for lennyistall since 3day is missing. I did a random number generator, using original pick order excluding 1-2-3-4 and 9 (who already had screws/daggers). j_willis ended up at top, and has agreed to proxy a screw pick against lennyistall.

Here is your sequence:

15 j_willis
9 (skipped, already holds a dagger)

Timestamp: 2024-03-31 15:52:00 UTC
Assuming r1 draft order, excluding AL East and NebHusker (each already has a screw or dagger)
3/31/2024 5:23 PM
so is someone going to volunteer to pick 3day's 4th team too? if he's awol, I guess I could take over his team. Or I will volunteer my teenage son to do so. let me know asap.
3/31/2024 8:39 PM
4th team
1948 Brooklyn Dodgers
3/31/2024 8:59 PM
Im going to take 1978 Pittsburgh Pirates
3/31/2024 9:02 PM
I started my work to dagger razor.

I put together what I thought would be a good team for him that fit our guidelines.

And I came out $ 15 million over budget.

Back to the drawing board.
4/1/2024 3:14 AM
My fourth team will be the 1968 Chicago Cubs.
4/1/2024 9:23 AM (edited)
It is past the Ides of March but I am looking for a proper Dagger vilefileman (daggered by Ribbentrop)

I knew before opening the Team in the proper manner that the 1968 Orioles would be Special as I thought of the human vacuum cleaner Brooks Robinson (Robinson most expensive offensively at $5,921,977) --- not to mention the pitching ...

Notes : Dave McNally with Salary: $10,904,138 and 2 other Good SP ...

4th Pick was 1938 Reds ... Considering $80 Mil Cap I still would not use the 332 IP 1938 Paul Derringerwith his ERC# 3.08 and not much in Performance History at Salary: $8,057,068 ... SP Johnny Vander Meer 244 IP And ERC# 2.88 possible fifth wheel SP at Salary: $6,634,281

The viability of the Offense seems to be a Good selling point

2nd Pick and assigned are the 1988 Texas Rangers ... Good pick as Charlie Hough with his 254 IP and ERC# 3.43 leads a cadre of three similar rather C minusish SP ... Highest salary Offensive player SS Scott Fletcher A/B $4,638,998 with 613 PA

Lastly the 1968 California Angels have George Brunet with ERC# 2.84 and 34 Usages in PH --- probably best of the rest SP. If discounting McNally ... Offense a nondescript group

even with these fill in types on Offense and considering the overall viability of the Offense as seen in the 4 Teams it seems that the Pitching would be the considered focus of a Dagger

vilefileman Therefore assume the position of Managing your great Starting Pitching Staff sin (without) 1968 Dave McNally

Memorial Stadium
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore Orioles
1954-1991
G 309 376 405 376 309 14 6 14 -1 0 -2 0 0 0.92

And flashed on the original Iron Chef (Japan) 1993 with Chairman Kaga proclaiming Allez cuisine (instead Go Play Ball!) ...
4/1/2024 11:43 AM (edited)
Posted by redcped on 3/31/2024 1:37:00 PM (view original):
It's time to begin the daggering! Take notes. This is where the fun really begins.

jbarr8888, you drafted yourself a couple good pitching teams in the 78 Orioles and the 68 Mets. Your assigned teams were both better than the '68 Senators that (checks notes ...) you stuck me with, ya bastard! The 38 Dodgers and 38 Cardinals both have some useful hitters and cheap backups. As a result, there aren't necessarily targets that can really cause you tremendous pain. But I think I found one that won't make you happy.

Let's start with your pitching. Those Amazin' Mets (Minus 1) provide you with pretty much a whole pitching staff. In fact, 8 of your 10 best arms come from them, and the other two from your O's. Seaver is clearly your best starter and therefore a dagger target to be sure, though he'd likely be replaced by Koosman or McGregor with about a half-run higher ERC#, depending on how you build the team. It's a hit, but maybe not a devastating one. The Mets also have basically the only relievers you want or need, but taking any one of them away isn't too painful.

Among your catchers, Babe Phelps is really the only one who can hit much, but he has only 253 PA. He's nice to have, but not crushing to lose either.

At 1st base, we find an interesting situation. Each of your four teams had exactly one qualifying player. You've got Johnny Mize at $6.93M, Eddie Murray at $6.45M, Dolph Camilli at $5.21M and Ed Kranepool at $1.64M. Now you've got my attention. This looks problematic, but let's keep looking.

At 2nd base, you've got 8 players and none of them is particularly great at hitting or fielding. Make yourself a fun platoon here.

At 3rd base, you've got a stud Doug DeCinces at a reasonable $5.48M with 28 HR and a great glove. You also have cheap options. But surely Dougie Boy there would be someone you'd miss.

At shortstop, whoo boy, that's a pile of stink right there. Bud Harrelson is probably your best one with a .228/.286/.268 slash and a B/B glove. Be my guest, pal. Use any of these guys. Don't let me stop you. Heck, please play two of them as often as possible.

In the outfield, your options for a high-range CF are limited to a couple guys who don't scare you with the bat much, or you can sacrifice the glove and use a better bat out there. Your best hitters here are Joe Medwick and Ken Singleton. I'm sure you'd like to use them and probably can afford them, and there is a little dropoff if you can't. So those are players to keep in mind.

But let's get back to your 1B situation. Mize and Camilli only have ratings at 1B, so you can't use them anywhere else. Murray is D-/D- at 3B. Kranepool is D-/D- in the outfield. So, I'm thinking, what happens if we take Kranepool away. That leaves you three 1B all over $5.2M, and you must roster two of them. What are you going to do? Make one a very expensive pinch hitter? Play stone-gloved Murray at 3B (Is an .858 fielding percentage bad? Asking for a friend) and forego the flashy mitt and bat of DeCinces over there? Perhaps I said too much already, because you aren't as completely stuck here as I've seen owners be in this league, but it's definitely going to limit your choices and force you into a difficult decision however you play it. No one else you could lose makes things quite as difficult.

So, say goodbye to Ed Kranepool of the 68 Mets and his low-priced 1B bat. Enjoy the puzzle.

As for ballparks, well the only outlier among them is Sportsman's Park with a high 2B rating and 1.08 park factor. I'm not sure if you'd actually use it, but the other three are similar enough that it doesn't really make your choice much harder to remove one. So, scratch Sportsman's Park off your list. I still think you'll be a strong contender in the division and league, but I hope my daggers have provided a little hit to your chances.
I love my neighbors!!! I had teams that I could have chosen to hide my 1B deficiency but decided that Pitching would be better to have. You are correct I would not be using Sportsman as my strength will not be hitting! I need to have low scoring games lol! I am happy to hear you are enjoying the 68' Senators. They seem to suck every season...
4/1/2024 9:28 AM
The Senators and Kansas City A's are pretty much always a guaranteed albatross in this league.
4/1/2024 11:15 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...26 Next ▸
BNL #8 Draft - APB! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.