The Midge52 Draft Season 84 Rosters/Commentary Topic

17) dh555 - Karl Malone, Hassan Whiteside, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Michael Porter, Andre Iguodala, Kyle Anderson, JaVale McGee

Eval--I'm hoping dh is not in my division! 3 of his 7 picks were on my list. Front court is amazing(D, usg, efg) SGA I'm not quite on board with yet(high usg with low efg, I finally used Harden for the first time and had good results..so I'll have to keep an eye on how this goes)Porter and his +60efg and over 40 3pt% at SF = wonderful to me. Iggy I really wanted(had to settle for Delon) low usg, high efg and great D. Anderson running all over the court to cover multiple positions with his 93D(i'm assuming or one of his above 70's) JaVale great back up at C, D is good and efg above 60!
This team should be contending for the division lead!!
3/27/2024 4:57 AM
Posted by chewy3344 on 3/26/2024 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by steelers821 on 3/26/2024 9:08:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Chewy! You do TO48 not TO% because of how you pull stats right?

your 85 defense has gotta be one of the best in the 52 in a while. Also seapilots getting Stockton and wilt is wild. Perimeter defense will be probably hurt him tho.

also how did jethro end up with the best chewy score? I don’t think the stats you have would agree.
Yes I show TOp48 because in can’t “scrape” the table that shows to%.

Jethro’s score is fixed and my defense is nice but I wish I hadn’t fallen in love with having 100 defense at 4 positions. It looks cool on paper but I’ve never seen it payoff to justify going for it.
I know dh has won at least one title in this league when going all out on 100 D. I know he built around Wade and then some crew like Big Ben, Nash, Kirilenko…but I’ll defer to him on the details since he’s with us this season.
3/27/2024 7:39 AM
18) copernicus - Chris Paul, Ben Wallace, Chris Boucher, Domantas Sabonis, Kevin Love, Khris Middleton, Sidney Moncrief

Eval--Paul as your PG is always a good start, D is there, Ast% is there, usg and not terrible efg. Wallace will be covering Sabonis but 29D is much lower than I like to go! Throw in Love and Middleton both under 42D, but both have other advantages(efg, dreb%, usg) I think this team will be in some shootouts and depending on the division it's in, should be right on the cut line for a playoff team.
3/27/2024 7:56 AM
evals tonight
3/27/2024 3:25 PM
I volunteered to do a few but I have no Idea whom I am supposed to eval...
3/27/2024 3:51 PM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 3/27/2024 3:51:00 PM (view original):
I volunteered to do a few but I have no Idea whom I am supposed to eval...
I was sent a SM with my 2
3/27/2024 4:37 PM
A big thank you to everyone who volunteered to write evals.
3/27/2024 5:44 PM

11) chewy3344 - Anthony Davis, Hakeem Olajuwon, Tyrese Haliburton, Serge Ibaka, Andrei Kirilenko, Ivica Zubac, Nicolas Batum
Nice defense you got there – bet it is going to create a ton of missed shots. you know what goes nice with a ton of missed shots? Rebounds. That’s my only criticism really, otherwise you’ve built a scary team – maybe a little light on 3s? And of course simmy don’t care too much for D but you have a lot more than that going on than that – Seble Rating: Contender
14) kammeyer - DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Jarrett Allen, Ben Simmons, Dejounte Murray, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant
Watching you draft your team build for me was like this: 1) yep 2) I guess so 3) solid 4) interesting 5) same guy kind of? 6) hmm maybe? 7) oh no!
I already spoke my peace on big usage, low efg of Kobe but will only add that I don’t know nothing and maybe all his great right column stats and the great crew around him will allow him to flourish – Seble Rating: Nosing at the play-offs
15) berkelon - David Robinson, Damian Lillard, Nikola Vucevic, Eric Bledsoe, Gerald Wallace, Chris Andersen, Andrew Bogut
This is kind of like a team I might build which for one thing you should be worried about because I haven’t won this league since before the Pandemic. Wallace was early to the point of (and I am not one of these ADP monsters) sometimes not ever? I myself in that round missed on Bledsoe , which again should not reassure you. I am seriously concerned for your outcome because I could have round by round ended up with this team. Seble Rating: All OR Nothing
16) jethroeg - Oscar Robertson, Julius Erving, Victor Oladipo, Buck Williams, Robert Parish, Montrzl Harrell, Josh Richardson
{imagine this one in the voice of a snarky tween girl}: I get that the recent D upgrade makes the Big O sexier than he has been in quite a while but, I mean? And then you doubled down on another of the old guys? And then another guard? Simmy loves a guard heavy team, right? {eye roll} – And I guess that left you grasping at the dudes that everybody else is thinking might still be available for the prom after Skip or Chet or any of the other bigs got picked off by all of those skanks on the song team?? Was Andrew Bynum not available?? Who knows what die simmy rolls? {sigh…} Seble Rating: I guess? {shrug/eye roll emoji}
3/27/2024 9:25 PM
I got dontburnearl, steelers821, and jackedjaime

Will post them today (hopefully)
3/28/2024 5:49 AM
Influenced by Chewy I have come up with my own formula on how to rate teams. I have lovingly titled the numbers in this formula the York score and the Dork score.
Instead of looking at the team as a whole I came up with a formula that rates individual players based on their ADV stats and how many minutes they play. I come up with a score that a player has based on their adv stats ( I won’t share that whole thing because it would be too long to explain.). Then I divide their minutes per game by 48 (the max number of minutes a player can play). I then multiply those two numbers together to get the York score. Once you have all those numbers then you add all of them up to get a team’s total York score. The minutes played for these score are estimated by me.
That’s how I will rate the below teams but first as reference here is my own team scored as described:

Player- adv stat score- york score
Dwyane Wade- 9.1- 7.2
Luka Doncic- 12.5- 7.6
Manu Ginobili- 7.2- 3.9
Evan Fournier- 1- 0.1
Jamario Moon- 10.4- 5.9
Jeremy Evans- 11.1- 0.7
Kevon Looney- 11.6- 5.8
Onyeka Onkongwu- 11- 5
Tony Bradley- 14.7- 3.1
Mason Plumlee- 14.7- 7.7
Wes Unseld- 12.4- 9.3

My Dork Score- 56.3

Dontburnearl
My first thought at just glancing at your team is I love the Thad and KAwhi pairing at the guard spot. They give you a decent rebounding advantage at that spot and good efficiency shooting. On the efficiency note, your eFG% is also really good. I also really like your SF rotation. Nice. Somethings that concern me are 1. If you have a team that has two good scoring big men or two good scoring guards you could come across some issues as Barkley and/or Ingles will have to defend someone who will score. 2. I like Barkley and Mutombo in a vacuum. But together? I am not a fan because they both have a lot of towels( Tos and fouls). But let’s see what the dork score says.

Joe Ingles- 5- 2.7
Josh Hart- 6- 2.8
Kawhi Leonard- 12.3- 6.4
Thaddeus Young- 10.1- 4.8
Donyell Marshall- 12.1- 8.1
Daniel Gafford- 14.2- 3.3
John Henson- 10.6- 1.1
Charles Barlkey- 12.9- 10.5
Chris Webber- 7.4- 0.3
Chris Gatling- 9.8- 1.4
Dikembe Mutombo- 15.3- 12.1
Cole Aldrich- 11.7- 2.4

Dontburnearl’s Dork Score- 55.9

Steelers821
So I haven’t tried the Moses/Rodman duo in this league but when I have ever tried it, it never seemed to work for me but I could never deduce why. I had a conspiracy theory that the system would make you miss extra shots so you could match the OReb rate but I know that’s not the case. I will say what is more likely is that once your rebounding gets so high that you begin to have diminishing returns. So if you draft those two I think the key might be to draft players who do everything but OReb well. Which is exactly what you got with drafting Tatum and Mobley. And I personally am I fan of Chauncey Billups so I like him too (the mid 00s pistons were one of my favorites.) On paper this team should be good, at least as long as your core is playing. Let’s see if reality agrees.

Chauncey Billups- 6.9- 5.2
D’Angelo Russell- 1.5- 0.5
Sedale Threatt- 3.9- 0.3
Buddy Ackerman- -16- -0.3
Jayson Tatum- 8.8- 6.1
Paul Reed- 13.5- 2.5
Dennis Rodman- 22.2- 19
Kyle O’Quinn- 12.1- 3.8
Moses Malone- 16.9- 14.8
Evan Mobley- 13.2- 9.1
Greg Oden- 13.4- 1.7
Bob Nordman- -10.5- -0.7

Steelers821 Dork Score- 62.7

Jackedjaime
So one thing my score does not capture are the penalties your team will have if you don’t meet certain thresholds like the individual usage penalty, the assist% min, etc. While writing this eval I haven’t plugged in the York or Dork score numbers yet but just looking I am concerned about you not meeting the usage and assist requirements. Your main problem is Embiid. He is AMAZING in a vacuum, much like Giannis. But if you don’t draft another player to make up his minutes he could do more harm than good by causing usage issues. The way your team is built you are going to have less than 100 cumulative usage points on the floor for a significant amount of minutes. Also I am assuming that Tillman will be backing up Marques? That could spell disaster as you could potentially hit the usage point penalty as well for just a few minutes. Also, there are times I think you are only going to have 44 cumulative assist% on the floor which could really affect your efficiency. That’s just some red flags I see, and I could be wrong. I could have the make up of your team completely wrong. But, I feel like I am being harsh so I will say the things I like too. Your total eFG% is almost 59.1 which is pretty freaking high . Also, I love Marques Johnson and I think he is extremely undervalued in the sim. Also, an interesting choice with that season of Chandler, usually I go with the high rebounding mavericks version because I think those rebounds are worth more than the higher defense, but that’s just me.
P.S. Thanks for letting me back out of drafting Robert Williams because I needed a high usage Guard to not have the same usage issue you have with Embiid. Now let’s see that Dork score!

Donovan Mitchell- 5- 3.1
CJ McCollum- 4.1- 1.5
Delon Wright- 8.8- 2.8
Cameron Payne- 4.2- 0.3
Kyle Korver- 6.1- 3.8
Marques Johnson- 8.3- 5.9
Xavier Tillman- 11.3- 3.3
Joel Embiid- 13.2- 7.7
Tyson Chandler- 16.2- 9.5
Robert Williams- 17.8- 8.2
Enes Kanter- 14.8- 4.3
Kyle O’Quinn- 14- 1.2

Jackedjaime’s Dork Score- 51.6
3/28/2024 1:05 PM (edited)
It might be fun to compare chewy scores with Dork scores for a few teams just to see how they compare.
3/28/2024 1:28 PM
Steelers821
So I haven’t tried the Moses/Rodman duo in this league but when I have ever tried it, it never seemed to work for me but I could never deduce why. I had a conspiracy theory that the system would make you miss extra shots so you could match the OReb rate but I know that’s not the case. I will say what is more likely is that once your rebounding gets so high that you begin to have diminishing returns. So if you draft those two I think the key might be to draft players who do everything but OReb well. Which is exactly what you got with drafting Tatum and Mobley. And I personally am I fan of Chauncey Billups so I like him too (the mid 00s pistons were one of my favorites.) On paper this team should be good, at least as long as your core is playing. Let’s see if reality agrees.

Chauncey Billups- 6.9- 5.2
D’Angelo Russell- 1.5- 0.5
Sedale Threatt- 3.9- 0.3
Buddy Ackerman- -16- -0.3
Jayson Tatum- 8.8- 6.1
Paul Reed- 13.5- 2.5
Dennis Rodman- 22.2- 19
Kyle O’Quinn- 12.1- 3.8
Moses Malone- 16.9- 14.8
Evan Mobley- 13.2- 9.1
Greg Oden- 13.4- 1.7
Bob Nordman- -10.5- -0.7

Steelers821 Dork Score- 62.7

Awesome stuff Sam! Yeah I’m sure there’s some drop off where rebounding isn’t as useful. I went for numbers where I should be the best league (and hopefully by a comfortable margin but who knows) but not over the top. All 3 of my other starts diverged from orebound and focused more on other things like lowering my tov%, raising my efg/ts and giving me 3s. The bench is definitely a drop in production but I’m at 19269 minutes without scrubs so I should have to play guy 11-12 more than a couple mins every couple games. How much of an advantage I have in the foul department I think will decide if this team is a title contender.
3/28/2024 1:40 PM

I have never written an evaluation before and I only made the playoffs for the first time last year so don’t take this too seriously.

24) ty84moss - Kevin Garnett, James Harden, Horace Grant, Jonas Valanciunas, Mikal Bridges, Mitchell Robinson, Danny Green

Hate Garnett real life player but in simleague good rebounding at SF and good defense, so I like the pick. Hate Harden even more in real life but in Simleague im sure he will get tons of FTs and the high usage im sure will be helpful. Horace Grant gives decent defense and very good Oreb% at this pick. I know he has his defensive limitations but I love using Jonas here, just such good rebounding and efg on decent usage, thats hard to find. Mikal Bridges I am pretty neutral on. Love Mitchell Robinson for you and you took enough high usage players earlier in the draft that you could afford to hide Robinsons weakness and highlight his strength. I love that pick. The almost 2013 NBA finals mvp, Danny Green, love that pick too. Overall solid team and better than at least one of my teams

3/28/2024 4:20 PM
DAKJD901's Second Team - The Duncaning

The fun in this is that I get to do two commentaries. If you have ever thought, "Hey! What does a complete moron think about my team?" Here is the answer:

Tim Duncan has never been a player I loved in the sim. He has the usage you need, his eFG% isn't great (but the season you chose is quite solid) and his better eFG seasons aren't awesome for rebounding. I like awesome rebounding. I guess that is like saying I like it when my wife allows me to give her "that back rub" in the evening. It is something of a stupid remark. I am full of stupid remarks. That's why I am here after all. Duncan's TO% and foul rate are a bit higher here than in other seasons, but his defense is elite and will help mitigate against those other problems

Gary Payton did I mention that I like people who shoot the ball good and do other things good too? (Yes that was a Zoolander reference) Payton brings reasonable usage with great defense (that is another 100....the last time I got two 100's was in Mrs. Johnson's English class my sophomore year....I did fail that class eventually. Pro Tip: If you are supposed to read the book that they give you multiple tests on, you should read the book, you're welcome.). I, again, am not a fan of the turnover rate and his shooting is a bit sus (I am trying to appeal to the younger demographic here), but the defense side of this should be great for generating your own turnovers to combat that. I like a defensive big with a defensive guard that can each guard two positions. I also like pizza with meatballs sliced thin.

Bam Adebayo is another solid defender who provides good eFG to go with the usage. His passing ability from a big is great, but the rebounding is just meh. Remember, I love awesome rebounding. Bam with Duncan could create some voids in your offensive game based on how people who are really good at this game may play against you. If you play me you probably win by 17.

Jaren Jackson Jr. is another 100 defender. Can't rebound his position for the life of him, but the usage with the eFG% is sweet, especially now that you have a decent three-point shooter. His turnover percentage is really good.

Derrick White makes me think of Lisa Kudrow. I mean I would never be like, "Dude she's hot!" but I may say something like "If I wasn't married, if my options were limited, if it was dimly lit, or if I squint my eyes just right...perhaps." Derrick White is a good player. Another solid defender that plays a clean game (that's what smart people here say when I like a player I usually say something like "I think Ben or Rob drafted him once). You really need him for the defense and the threes, but I wonder how effective his shooting will be when he is your fourth or fifth-ranked player in terms of usage. He should be a strong unifying force in the locker room, which will be part of the next WiS Basketball update that will be completed in about 18 years with the 2 1/2 employees the whole company currently has, provided that the site doesn't go out of business.

Richaun Holmes is awesome as an SF because of the rebounding at that position (I really like good rebounders I don't know if I made that clear or not) plus he has elite eFG%, just too bad this will be the lowest usage player in your starting lineup. His defense is a 69 (get it...it's 69...did you see that). I like what Holmes brings, but I wish he had higher usage.

Isaiah Stewart brings more of the rebounding you were needing for this team and can also play the SF his defense is quite a bit below Holmes since he is 68 (it is not nearly as cool as being a 69, clearly). He is a reasonable backup to Holmes.

The others - I thought that picking up OG and Dunn was important to help with usage and the lack of threes your team has. OG won't hurt your defense for sure. Other than that, most of the picks are there to fill the minutes with players who aren't drunk.

Overall, I feel that this team struggles in this league, heartily. Usage, threes, eFG do not quite match up and I think rebounding may become problematic since I feel you only hold an advantage at the SF position. Your defense is great, but I don't think that it will be enough overcome the turnovers and other things I've already mentioned.

Then again. I'm a moron.

Rating
12 Stanley Nickels
3/29/2024 6:01 PM
Samuelyork93 - Wading for Wins

Wanna see a dead body? I've got none of those, but I do have nonsense, with a healthy amount of tomfoolery.

Luka Doncic - His name is Luka, he lives on the second floor. Given the subject matter of the song, perhaps a poor attempt at a joke...I am a rebel though. I love Luka, I don't use him well in the sim, but hey who do I use well? He does so much well, except defense but that can be tolerated when your point guard is rebounding at a percentage that is only slightly behind your assist rate. His usage is crazy so you will need someone that can help his D (pause) and match his usage as a backup....

Dwyane Wade - It is almost like I set that whole thing up like that. Did you see what I did there? It is like when you foreshadow something on a TV show and then after the commercial break all is revealed. I think this is a really great pick. It is like samuelyork has done this What if thing before. Sure Wade can't shoot that well, and he isn't a real three point threat, but he draws fouls, passes, and kills it on D without you feeling like you took a trip to Epstein Island with the turnovers. DWade is almost all upside here.

Manu Ginobili - When I first heard this name I assumed he was a Jedi I never heard of, but he is another stud that is perfect to overcome the issues Luka has when he gets hit by the door knob (dang it, wrong Luka) on defense. He is quite clean (I think he showered this morning even) and is serviceable at he 1 and 2. His ability to shoot threes is a huge help when he is in the lineup with DWade

Kevon Looney - You lost me here. First why draft a dude that can't spell his name right? Second I thought he was a SG. I get it, He will be the 3 and his purpose is to get boards, pass, and try to not screw up. I always screw up when I draft him. I also always screw up, but I don't always draft him. He is almost as infuriating in the sim as he is in real life. You should draft a life coach for him so he stops fouling everything that moves.

Onyeka Okongwu - This looks like the last two hands I had on Scrabble. I won those games because of all the points. I mean I am a moron, but I know words, I've got the best words...oh I don't think I can say that line anymore. I love what he brings with the boards to support the guards that are going to shoot, all the time, and shoot even more. Again, he hacks more than Dahmer on gentleman's night but he isn't a failure on defense and he will be a solid 4.

Wes Unseld - I was born a poor black child....no that's from The Jerk. I was born in Louisville so I am predisposed to love Wes and Ali. Not in that order. Wes has a bit more turnovers for someone playing almost 3k minutes than I would want to see. He rebounds well enough, but with what is already in your lineup it should be fine. He will not be a problem with his low usage. I feel like there were other options there. I feel like it, but I can't substantiate that with any facts. I do that, it is called speaking out my rear...I have a black belt in this.

Mason Plumlee - All of the Plumlee's went to this super exclusive private school on the south side of Asheville called Christ School. It is the type of school where you love your kids enough to send them far away from you so they can get an education that shows them how much better they are than everyone. The Plumlee's won state titles there, it was glorious until they went to Duke. Screw Duke. None of this has anything to do with ratings, but non sequiturs are something that I do real well too. Did I mention that I like rebounding? I think that stuff is cool. Plumlee does that quite well and passes well also.
He isn't stopping anyone but his scoring efficiency is really nice, even though it is lower usage.

The others - I love picking up Moon, Fournier, and Bradley. This will be really nice for filling out the lineup. Fournier keeps your PG/SG strategy moving forward. Moon at SF will give defensive flexibility and threes, and Bradley provides another board lord.

Overall - I like the way this team is constructed. A ton of threes, but with Wade it stops people from going +3 on you. I think your rebounding and passing are on point and you have higher usage players with good eFG%. If there is a point to nitpick it is the lack of defense from 3-5. I think you may have a difficult time with the elite centers. You may be able take advantage when they miss, but I don't see you slowing teams down very much. Luka's defense isn't great either, obviously, but I guess we've seen that before (one last nod to Suzanne Vega had to be done).

Rating
100 Schrute Bucks
3/29/2024 10:11 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
The Midge52 Draft Season 84 Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.