Site Update Topic

Posted by theclash603 on 3/26/2024 1:45:00 PM (view original):
I come and go from Sim League baseball, I occasionally check in to see if there's been improvements, but there never is.

Every team in open leagues look the same. These teams aren't full of fan favorites, only broken players that everyone uses. There's no attempt to fix these players that perform well above expectations, or to adjust their salaries upward for the amount of times they are used. Because of this, every league is the same. This means no excitement, why would I want to come back? 2019 Ketel Marte again? Yay!

Maybe there's a risk to lose the 50-100 most hardcore players if you adjust how broken the game is. It seems the majority of players are unimaginative and really like the broken players, so I understand there's a fine line to walk with any update. But trust me, you'll never get a flood of new blood into WIS if they can only use 2019 Ketel Marte or lose. There's no fun in that.
This is why I stopped playing open leagues in SLB. Marte and his ilk, plus the deadball era pitchers, make the open leagues a pretty tedious exercise.

Theme leagues, on the other hand, are still really fun to play. The thing I'd like to see most is a more configurable engine to facilitate theme league drafts, but my guess is there's a ton of complexity to build that and not a lot of ROI.

But really, the biggest thing the site is missing is new players. I see the same 50 or so people over and over again in SLB, and while that's really fun in some ways, it just goes to show you that there really aren't many people playing on this site.

I'd be in favor of any change that brings a lot of new players to WIS.
3/26/2024 3:23 PM
I think it would fun to simulate Allstar games. Seems like it could be fairly easy to pull off.
3/26/2024 4:25 PM
I have taken great care over the years to refine and perfect my morning routine, which includes dog-walking, coffee, and then checking my WIS play-by-plays right before my morning dump, at which point I progress to Wordle and Connections. My four children are now old enough for me to pull off this morning experience, and by God WIS better not take it away from me after all these years.
3/26/2024 5:38 PM

But really, the biggest thing the site is missing is new players.

So true! I have no real issue with the Sim, as far as SLB is concerned. Well, maybe one thing: if WIS could come up with a good way to do dynamic pricing, then Open Leagues wouldn't be such drudgery. But there are enough progs and theme leagues out there that I can easily live without OLs.

Find a way to advertise the site, because it's dying now. We need new blood. The average age of users must be over 60.
3/26/2024 7:33 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 3/26/2024 7:33:00 PM (view original):

But really, the biggest thing the site is missing is new players.

So true! I have no real issue with the Sim, as far as SLB is concerned. Well, maybe one thing: if WIS could come up with a good way to do dynamic pricing, then Open Leagues wouldn't be such drudgery. But there are enough progs and theme leagues out there that I can easily live without OLs.

Find a way to advertise the site, because it's dying now. We need new blood. The average age of users must be over 60.
So you are saying that owners are exiting the mortal coil while there is a low birth rate of new owners.
Probably true.

On a concrete point of baseball theme OL I hate all the high number AAA esp 60/20 and I won’t join those leagues. Same for clones.

3/26/2024 8:18 PM (edited)
Also WIS is under appreciated by some. It really is incredible. I was on another site for a few months. I forget the name of it. It is run by one guy in fact now that I remember, his first name is Guy. He is the creator and it is Horrible! It has a limited bunch of nasty people with no sense of humor and the games are truly terrible. If WIS is a 10 that site is a 1. It is free asking for donations while it is a complete waste of time.

From my vantage point this is the premium sim experience and yeah there can be improvements but it isn’t like WIS isn’t great.
3/26/2024 8:18 PM
I would like to see a "(team) Coaching Records" tab added after Records on every teams page. This would be similar to the Coach Records under stats but would only reflect the coaching at that school.

This would allow people to go after the all time coaching leader in wins, titles, %, etc at the school they take over. For example- In Naismith at West Georgia I might be trying to knock off Arfy as the all time winningest coach, would be tied with him on National Championships, might trail him in conference titles and win %. As a coaching game having this desperately needs added
3/26/2024 8:30 PM
Gotta agree with tlow - any HBD update that's not focused on injury recovery is misplaced effort.

Thanks for keeping this site afloat guys, it's appreciated.
3/26/2024 9:10 PM
I really enjoy the MLB progressive and theme leagues. And Hoops Dynasty. Only praise for those 2 games.

I recently left the NFL sim after playing on and off for over 20 years. My suggestion to improve the NFL product is simple. Its the salaries that are the problem. Its an offensive-driven game, so just make the elite defenses cost 10 percent less. And increase all of the offensive positions and OL by the same 10 percent.

1) Decrease every DEF unit that is 28 million or more (by 10 percent). Then, you could steadily drop 1 percent for every 500K until you get to the 52 Packers at just over 23 mil.

2) Conversely, you then increase all QBs with a 7 mil or more salary by 10 percent. Same with Off lines at 4.5 mil or more, WRs at 2.5 mil or more, RBs at 7.5 mil or more. TEs at 2 mil or more.

3) After those two adjustments, as a possible secondary action, you could consider slightly adjusting the 60 mil salary cap only if it may entice more money to be spent on defense. Or, if staying at 60 mil cap, then simply put a cap on what can be spent collectively on offense- to 37 million. This would leave 23 mil for a DEF, K and P.

The game itself is a good product, you just need for Defense to matter. Balance things out and bring back the true spirit of the game (selecting your favorite players and thinking up fun combinations of players and unique strategies). Otherwise, its just an offensive video game that favors elite offense. Half of the teams in every open league now-- look the same with the same players and strategy.
3/26/2024 9:37 PM (edited)
And add playoff win percentage and maybe playoff wins to the NFL records (with a minimum of 20-30 playoff games).

Playoff win percentage and playoff wins would be far more interesting and noteworthy-- than the generic win percentage totals listed on the site currently. There are two insignificant listings there: current single season win percentage and (all time) past regular season win percentage records with many having less than 200 games played total.
3/26/2024 9:53 PM
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 3/26/2024 8:18:00 PM (view original):
Also WIS is under appreciated by some. It really is incredible. I was on another site for a few months. I forget the name of it. It is run by one guy in fact now that I remember, his first name is Guy. He is the creator and it is Horrible! It has a limited bunch of nasty people with no sense of humor and the games are truly terrible. If WIS is a 10 that site is a 1. It is free asking for donations while it is a complete waste of time.

From my vantage point this is the premium sim experience and yeah there can be improvements but it isn’t like WIS isn’t great.
Yeah, WIS is indeed great, and I think if it disappeared a lot of us would miss the hell out of it.

99.99% of the stuff we gripe about is so trivial. The product is great, the price is great, the customer support is great, the core group of owners is great. There's a reason WIS is the online site I've been visiting most often over the past two decades or so.
3/26/2024 10:12 PM
Posted by edwzipper on 3/25/2024 8:37:00 PM (view original):
If you use AI, I hope you accept AM. (Artificial Money)

3/26/2024 10:20 PM
I think the site is great, and I appreciate the efforts of two people to make it happen. One suggestion to generate slightly more revenue would be to get rid of off-days in HD.
3/27/2024 7:32 AM
FIX FT shooting percentage in games for decent FT shooting teams
3/27/2024 7:35 AM
I really don't want AI. The appeal of this game is the other human players.
3/27/2024 8:15 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Site Update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.