GD Changes and Vision Topic

9) And get rid of the snarky "I don't want to visit" remarks from recruits.
3/27/2024 3:29 PM
katzphang, I think you have very good ideas on the recruiting phase of the game. I particularly like #7. I am not a fan of recruits committing to a single team then not signed until the end of the recruiting cycle or not at all. Sometimes I see a team having 15 or more recruits committed solely to them with only one scholarship left to fill then letting them languish never to get on any team. I know this is probably a strategy to keep other teams from improving theirs but having them placed back in the pool seems more sportsman like.
3/27/2024 4:10 PM
Posted by ranger1951 on 3/27/2024 4:10:00 PM (view original):
katzphang, I think you have very good ideas on the recruiting phase of the game. I particularly like #7. I am not a fan of recruits committing to a single team then not signed until the end of the recruiting cycle or not at all. Sometimes I see a team having 15 or more recruits committed solely to them with only one scholarship left to fill then letting them languish never to get on any team. I know this is probably a strategy to keep other teams from improving theirs but having them placed back in the pool seems more sportsman like.
If they have 15 green with one remaining scholarship, those greens have little money put into them. Adjust accordingly. This is a RNG and some recruits will be green easily and others not.
3/27/2024 4:59 PM
Love those answers that boil down to "suck it up, buttercup." Adjust accordingly = dump another $3000 on the recruit to try to knock off the team that has them greened up, if you're lucky. And that's if the team that greened them up only put a little money into them. Or get them yellow and cross your fingers.
Sick and tired of seeing human coaches going out and greening up 50 players for a 12 player recruiting class.
3/27/2024 6:53 PM
Posted by bagchucker3 on 3/26/2024 6:16:00 PM (view original):
wait now wait now what now what

how did you do this spliteroosky?

"Seems like they are trying to keep more human coaches by levelling the playing field and taking away the advantages from we who earned them. It has always been like it was with Vision being an advantage. But if you wanted better vision you had to ...
...earn it. Now if they take it away from us they may finally take me from the game. Ive flirted with leaving permanently and always came back cause I missed it. But this may be the straw that broke this camels back ? :(
I understand why it may be better for the game and the company to retain more human(paying) coaches. Doesn't mean I have to like it."
Ah, the spliteroosky is a GD Secret that only those who have been to the mountain and have caught the bluebird of BS and know the Secret to the Mystery of Badadook can perform.
Until you can do these 3 Grasshopper......... Well you get the idea
3/27/2024 7:35 PM
one time i heard the bluebird o BS

3/27/2024 7:42 PM
I would like to see one pool of players from D1A down to D3. That is functionally what we have now. Need proof? As someone noted above, in “DI-AA recruiting … you have to compete against DI[A] teams.” Top D2 teams have to compete against D1AA schools and top D3 schools have to compete against D2 schools. Every division overlaps with the division above and below it. Prestige is used to give soft tiers to the column of recruits – the higher your division and the higher your prestige within your division, the better recruits you may land, with less effort. In real life, the most prestigious schools have the best chance of landing the best recruits overall, and that effect is mimicked faithfully by prestige in GD.

As someone wished for, “More prestige could be given to the successful schools.” That is already how it works, based on wins, weighted toward the most recent seasons. More success = more prestige.

All of this is as it should be, and gives meaning [1] to the different divisions and [2] to success over seasons. This much is a smoothly operating system.

So then, why doesn’t it seem that way sometimes? The culprit is vision. Can anyone see any positive quality that vision adds to recruiting as I described it above? Sorry, that is a trick question – vision adds nothing constructive. It is redundant at best and an artificial, unrealistic barrier at worst. Nothing in the real world creates an impermeable barrier that absolutely prevents a school from recruiting a player that is available to a slightly more successful school in the same division. Likewise, there is no such absolute barrier that could kick in with one too many losses and prevent a school from recruiting a player it would have been able to recruit before or during the season. Inventing such an imaginary barrier is damaging – no, poisonous – to game play, the worst kind of rich-get-richer scheme, a serious anti-competitive factor at levels where the effect is strongest. No wonder many highly successful coaches want it retained – it makes their job recruiting much easier.
3/28/2024 1:27 AM
Personally, no thanks on one big pool of players. This is what makes me hate playing the bb sim. A coach in D1 can swoop in last second and destroy your entire recruiting class. Yes, a D3 “can” sign a D1 player, but not at great risk and this type of hit or miss is not enjoyable due to targeting, etc.

I guess the Hayes remark is toward me, but I take no offense. It is a fluke to have a lead like in a NC game. I played the right cards, they did not. I have lost just as many as I have won, and it is part of the game at that point. Anyone can make the NC, it is a matter of learning, experimenting, and never adjusting. Winning the NC is the culmination of all of those items plus a little sim luck.

Getting rid of the “elite” status at D1 would entice me to play there again, but no interest at all until that happens. I hated playing D1.
3/30/2024 10:39 PM
Posted by holdaway on 3/30/2024 10:40:00 PM (view original):
Personally, no thanks on one big pool of players. This is what makes me hate playing the bb sim. A coach in D1 can swoop in last second and destroy your entire recruiting class. Yes, a D3 “can” sign a D1 player, but not at great risk and this type of hit or miss is not enjoyable due to targeting, etc.

I guess the Hayes remark is toward me, but I take no offense. It is a fluke to have a lead like in a NC game. I played the right cards, they did not. I have lost just as many as I have won, and it is part of the game at that point. Anyone can make the NC, it is a matter of learning, experimenting, and never adjusting. Winning the NC is the culmination of all of those items plus a little sim luck.

Getting rid of the “elite” status at D1 would entice me to play there again, but no interest at all until that happens. I hated playing D1.
Yea IDK I hate the elite status when I am getting my class **** on every year in the midwest spending 70-100k on guys just to lose from behind. But I only ASSUME that they are not needing to spend that much, I dont have two teams in a world to actually test and prove it. First class here in another world at Florida was much easier recruiting tho even against sims, no idea about against humans as the only battle was a significant distance advantage. Could be elite vs non elite, could be simple geography. I could live with it either way at D1 but I think the way D1 is set up is fine if they just make firing guidelines actually stringent at elite programs. There are some coaches at elietes that have never been to the second round of the playoffs after 20 seasons and that would never fly at those programs IRL. What I definitely don't like how the talent pool at d2 has fallen off or whatever adjustments in vision has occurred where I cannot see a recruit across the country that someone who has less wins then me can see or even just in my back yard for one team in PA where I cant see a guy 85 miles away but the #10 team 500 miles away that I have outperformed last few seasons is recruiting him uncontested which has happened the last two seasons at West Chester.
3/30/2024 11:55 PM
Teams that don’t win won’t have inroads at some schools. The vision thing makes sense to me ???????. I don’t know why you would get rid of it. There shouldn’t be parity across the board. Recruits in real life want to go to winning programs with prestige.
3/31/2024 1:06 AM
Posted by bagchucker3 on 3/27/2024 7:43:00 PM (view original):
one time i heard the bluebird o BS

Just "One" time Bag ? My man , you are the "Master" of the Bluebird of BS .
3/31/2024 10:22 AM
Vision is something acquired on the way through a division. Some thoughts - Should it be attached to the team or the coach? Currently it is attached to the team, but if it was attached to the coach at that level, some of the carpetbagging of taking over a successful team without doing the work yourself would go away.
Vision occurs at D3 to D1AA. No vision at D1A - everyone can see everyone. But what if for the elites, some visible players at the lower end of the spectrum of talent numbers would get an offer from an elite and say, "Thanks for the interest in me, but you and I both know I'll never play. So I am not interested in your team." This would make some room for lower prestige coaches not to compete with the elites and make the elites have to be more competitive for the top talent they should be targeting without being able to scoop up multitudes of never to be signed backups. Call it "reverse vision".
3/31/2024 3:35 PM
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 3/31/2024 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Vision is something acquired on the way through a division. Some thoughts - Should it be attached to the team or the coach? Currently it is attached to the team, but if it was attached to the coach at that level, some of the carpetbagging of taking over a successful team without doing the work yourself would go away.
Vision occurs at D3 to D1AA. No vision at D1A - everyone can see everyone. But what if for the elites, some visible players at the lower end of the spectrum of talent numbers would get an offer from an elite and say, "Thanks for the interest in me, but you and I both know I'll never play. So I am not interested in your team." This would make some room for lower prestige coaches not to compete with the elites and make the elites have to be more competitive for the top talent they should be targeting without being able to scoop up multitudes of never to be signed backups. Call it "reverse vision".
I could see adding the "committable" offer requirement.
3/31/2024 3:55 PM
I did the last recruiting class was on my phone.

WIS needs an app now.

Silo players to a division

Get rid of vision
3/31/2024 5:15 PM
Posted by wdfox on 3/31/2024 5:15:00 PM (view original):
I did the last recruiting class was on my phone.

WIS needs an app now.

Silo players to a division

Get rid of vision
Getting rid of vision all together would literally kill the remainder of the game at lower divisions. Its the only equivalent measure to the d1a recruiting system. You even see long time coaches upset considering walking away due to how they have possibly tweaked vision. There should be some sort of reward for success and vision is literally why its called Gridiron 'dynasty'. Its also the only protection against someone just creating a shitload of accounts and hammering top schools recruiting classes to better their chances and hurt rivals.
3/31/2024 11:14 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
GD Changes and Vision Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.