500 HR Theme - WAITLISTING Topic

We are finishing up season 4 of an ongoing theme league built around the MLB players who hit 500 HR. We may need 1 new owner to join us for season 5.

The basic premise is this: we are replaying the careers of each of the 28 members of the 500 HR club. If this goes well, I may do something similar with the members of other prestigious clubs (3000 hits, 300 wins, 3000 strikeouts, etc.) To make the math work out and allow us to play 24 full seasons of this theme, we added Fred McGriff to the pool.

We progress our 500-HR hitters one season at a time. In each season we will use 24 of the 29 players, so not every player is used in every season of this league, but we will ultimately play every season of these player's career. Each season we will do a random draw to assign each hitter to each owner. You might get 73 Schmidt in season 1, 87 Palmeiro in season 2, 28 Ott in season 3, etc. You must use that exact season of your HR hitter’s career, but you may TWIST any of his actual teammates from that season. If your HR hitter played for multiple teams in that season, you may choose which team you want to twist, but you MUST use the combined version of your HR hitter who is allocated to the team you choose. For example, if in season 23 you draw 1972 Willie Mays, you may choose to twist either his 72 Giants teammates or his 72 Mets teammates, not both. And whichever you choose, you must use the combined 1972 Mays version from that team. No $200K exceptions. All players on your roster must have appeared on your team as verified by baseball-reference.com. The only exception to this rule will be if a team has fewer than 25 players who have any WIS-eligible seasons.

In seasons 1-5, we are using a 90M cap, no DH (to allow Ruth to hit during his pitcher seasons), and 6/2 below average SIM-generated AAA to help fill out rosters.

For seasons 6-24 we will increase the cap to 100M, with no AAA, and we WILL use the DH. The DH is essential for this league, especially for the modern players who often had seasons in which they played mostly or entirely DH.

As with all of my leagues, there are strict deadlines for getting rosters entered. I have no patience with needing to chase people down to get their teams in, and it's not fair to other owners if 1 or 2 stragglers are holding us up. Please only join this league if you are comfortable with your ability to build and enter a team quickly once a league number has been generated.

Owners are not obligated to play all 24 seasons. Come and go as you wish.

All teams will use WIS Park each season. My goal for this league is to see how each player does without WIS’s sometimes extreme park effects impacting the results.

BONUS PRIZE EACH SEASON: each season, before we do the random draw to assign players, I will announce a challenge for that season. This could be something like "greatest increase in winning percentage compared to what your team did in real life" or "highest OBP by your 500 HR player" or "fewest errors by a team," etc. Each season, I will donate the commissioner's WIS reward money to the owner who wins the challenge. This gives everyone something else to play for, which might be a lot of fun in those seasons when you know your team is just not gonna be good enough to win the championship.

A very important note:

The primary purpose of this league is to replay the careers of these 29 great players; winning any individual league is a secondary consideration. Each season, each owner is expected to accept his random player allocation without whining, and to use his 500 HR player realistically. You are required to get your 500HR player at least 95% of his actual PA/162. Failure to do this will incur a 10-win penalty in the standings.
5/10/2024 8:15 AM
Please sign up here if interested. Again we potentially need one owner. Anyone who signs up here but doesn't get a team this season will be put on a waitlist for future openings.

We are almost done with season 4. We will do the random draw for season 5 after the regular season concludes in season 4. Please only sign up if you are willing to accept your randomly assigned player (which will change every season) regardless of who it turns out to be. Those early Harmon Killebrew Senators teams are pretty brutal...
5/10/2024 8:15 AM
1.) contrarian23
2.) ff09
3.) tywebb3
4.) ctrohmier
5.) DarthDurron
6.) 06gsp
7.) BeAllEndAll
8.) redcped
9.) jrig21
10.) razorclams
11.) busterglen
12.) akira_hokuto
13.) 84champs
14.) Jtpsops
15.) redwingscup
16.) Dougsdawgs13
17.) jfranco77
18.) zephyr1949
19.) keth
20.) stroh23
21.) odalisgagne
22.) trumbull
23.) eman7400
24.) fatguyrd

Season 5 sitemail list: contrarian23; ff09; tywebb3; ctrohmier; DarthDurron; 06gsp; BeAllEndAll; redcped; jrig21; razorclams; busterglen; akira_hokuto; 84champs; Jtpsops; redwingscup; Dougsdawgs13; jfranco77; zephyr1949; keth; stroh23; odalisgagne; trumbull; eman7400; fatguyrd
5/10/2024 11:58 AM (edited)
I’ll take your last spot
5/10/2024 11:35 AM
It's yours - thank you. Will add you to the league forum.
5/10/2024 11:57 AM
Still accepting waitlisters...
5/10/2024 11:57 AM
500 HR Theme - WAITLISTING Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.