All-time character and flaws team by decade! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
And WOAT for team character? If not the 1919 Chicago White Sox, then who?
5/10/2024 2:21 PM
Posted by marcstuart on 5/10/2024 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Another great post Professor.

How about Sandy Koufax. Had the strength to stand up for his convictions.
And, how dare you put Thurman in there. As competitive as they came and had to put up with Reggie, George, Billy. Tragic end.

Not this time frame, but WOAT (worst, not greatest) goes to Ty Cobb. Yes, a product of his era but consistently mentioned as just a bad guy. Love Ray Liotta's quote in "Field of Dreams."

Gotta throw in the Mike Kekich/Fritz Peterson debacle in any discussion about character.
Sandy Koufax jumped first to my mind also. He stood up for his heritage if not his religious beliefs during the World Series. Did not play on Yom Kippur.
And he handled a criminally forced premature retirement as the greatest young pitcher of his era with unmatched grace and aplomb.
Ditto the sentiments for Satchel Paige.

90s Flawed - Lenny “the scumbag” Dykstra.
Among all of his issues he was an early taker of the vitamins or spinach and a real life Popeye the Sailor man. Larry Bowa one season and Rocky Balboa the next.
5/10/2024 3:55 PM (edited)

LF – Jeffrey Leonard – one of the most mean-spirited people ever to play the game.

OK, but that's all forgiven since he gave us the greatest nickname in MLB history: Old Penitentiary Face!

5/11/2024 12:30 PM (edited)
Posted by marcstuart on 5/10/2024 2:21:00 PM (view original):
And WOAT for team character? If not the 1919 Chicago White Sox, then who?
Great idea for the team "award" marcstuart, thanks! Is there an all-time good character team? hmm...

I had forgotten Fritz/Kekich when making this list you're right, half a rotation (one very good, the other pretty bad) right there for the 70s.

Koufax, good point, World Series too!

I know, I love Thurman as much as any player I ever saw. Everyone says he was pretty grouchy. Maybe take him off, and add him as character given he died for his commitment to spend more time with his family...
5/11/2024 2:00 PM
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 5/10/2024 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by marcstuart on 5/10/2024 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Another great post Professor.

How about Sandy Koufax. Had the strength to stand up for his convictions.
And, how dare you put Thurman in there. As competitive as they came and had to put up with Reggie, George, Billy. Tragic end.

Not this time frame, but WOAT (worst, not greatest) goes to Ty Cobb. Yes, a product of his era but consistently mentioned as just a bad guy. Love Ray Liotta's quote in "Field of Dreams."

Gotta throw in the Mike Kekich/Fritz Peterson debacle in any discussion about character.
Sandy Koufax jumped first to my mind also. He stood up for his heritage if not his religious beliefs during the World Series. Did not play on Yom Kippur.
And he handled a criminally forced premature retirement as the greatest young pitcher of his era with unmatched grace and aplomb.
Ditto the sentiments for Satchel Paige.

90s Flawed - Lenny “the scumbag” Dykstra.
Among all of his issues he was an early taker of the vitamins or spinach and a real life Popeye the Sailor man. Larry Bowa one season and Rocky Balboa the next.
I had left out Koufax, you're right.

And Dykstra! Of course, a walking disaster of a person.
5/11/2024 2:01 PM
For the 90's John Rocker comes to mind. He sure knew how to say things that got himself in trouble.
5/11/2024 2:48 PM
Shouldn't Bobby Richardson be considered for the good guy squad?
5/11/2024 6:58 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 5/11/2024 2:48:00 PM (view original):
For the 90's John Rocker comes to mind. He sure knew how to say things that got himself in trouble.
Good one!
5/12/2024 5:39 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 5/11/2024 6:58:00 PM (view original):
Shouldn't Bobby Richardson be considered for the good guy squad?
Yes I think so.

Where do we put Andrew McCutcheon and Buster Posey? Can they be in the good character roster as we move closer to the present day?
5/12/2024 5:40 PM
Another 90's flawed SP:
Curt Schilling. I believe he actually denied evolution. Bright guy.
5/12/2024 8:05 PM
How bout Pops Stargell and the 1979 We Are Family Pittsburgh Pirates for team character.
5/12/2024 8:09 PM
Posted by marcstuart on 5/12/2024 8:09:00 PM (view original):
How bout Pops Stargell and the 1979 We Are Family Pittsburgh Pirates for team character.
Yes, Schilling for the 90s bad character.

HOW DID I FORGET WILLIE STARGELL AS A TEAM CAPTAIN OF THE 70S GOOD CHARACTER TEAM?

Thanks for reminding me!
5/13/2024 4:13 AM
Somewhere in the flawed categories Denny McLain must have a spot. If there was a prison all star team he’d be a shoe-in.
5/13/2024 7:19 PM
12 Next ▸
All-time character and flaws team by decade! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.