Anyone want to buy WhatIfSports? Topic

Posted by Scapegoat22 on 5/6/2023 11:06:00 PM (view original):
Does/did WIS pay for some sort of license to use the real conf and school names?
They did not. I vaguely remember some back-and forth, but WIS doesn't use the mascots, which allows them to use a school name and colors. Something like that.
5/7/2023 12:08 AM
Honestly, is purchasing WIS an option? It is definitely something that I would love to do. WIS is amazing and could be done a lot better and increasing options in HD and other sports options etc.
5/26/2023 12:06 PM
Yeah, would be great if a community member took care of it. very very big
5/26/2023 3:42 PM
It's an interesting concept. I wonder how profitable WIS is...would need to see more about their finances to evaluate. Lots of intriguing questions...
5/29/2023 9:48 AM
Posted by salag on 5/29/2023 9:48:00 AM (view original):
It's an interesting concept. I wonder how profitable WIS is...would need to see more about their finances to evaluate. Lots of intriguing questions...
I think most people are considering buying HD vs. WIS in this thread. Buying WIS means you’d need to be taking care of HBD, GD, and all of the sim leagues as well.

I recall adlorenz mentioning HD was the least profitable of all the games which is likely why so little attention is placed onto it relative to the other games (which also receive little attention in the grand scheme). If WIS was bought by the community, I’m guessing it would still be best putting HD on the back burner lol.
5/29/2023 2:17 PM
i am guessing there's no way to split HD from WIS, not without doing more work than its worth anyway. seems like too much of the stuff overlaps around the site interface and junk. not really sure about that but the impression i get from their talks about making changes and stuff.

its also not really just about buying WIS but also the investment required to get it running well. there'd probably be a lot of essentially no-return work just moving authentication, billing, server hosting, that stuff, off of the existing sportshub-integrated systems and on to a separate deal. and then significant investments in development and advertising to get the games progressing the way users would want.
5/30/2023 11:03 AM
Posted by gillispie on 5/30/2023 11:03:00 AM (view original):
i am guessing there's no way to split HD from WIS, not without doing more work than its worth anyway. seems like too much of the stuff overlaps around the site interface and junk. not really sure about that but the impression i get from their talks about making changes and stuff.

its also not really just about buying WIS but also the investment required to get it running well. there'd probably be a lot of essentially no-return work just moving authentication, billing, server hosting, that stuff, off of the existing sportshub-integrated systems and on to a separate deal. and then significant investments in development and advertising to get the games progressing the way users would want.
These are good points. I think that it would essentially have to be a vanity project for someone with sufficient wealth to take some financial losses. Kind of like a restaurant where you can't figure out how they stay open, then you find out that someone with a ton of money is behind it and is just keeping it open so a family member can enjoy running a restaurant. Or American celebrities buying overseas soccer teams (with Wrexham as the most prominent example).

I love HD, and WiS in general, but honestly I think if it was ever going to be a wealth generator for its owner then it would have happened already. The founder (TK) is one of the smartest guys I have ever met, and he chose to sell it instead of trying to get wealthy from it, so that says a lot to me.
5/30/2023 5:20 PM
i'm not sure if that 5-10m estimate was sarcasm or serious but if the latter, it would certainly fall into the extreme range of delusional.

there's also these things called expenses...
5/31/2023 2:26 PM
Posted by gillispie on 5/31/2023 2:27:00 PM (view original):
i'm not sure if that 5-10m estimate was sarcasm or serious but if the latter, it would certainly fall into the extreme range of delusional.

there's also these things called expenses...
If the 5-10m you are referring to is the 6.7MM number from my first post, that's not delusional, that's a factual transaction that occurred last year. But as detailed in my first post, that was 6.7MM for all of SportsHub and for the reasons I noted in my post, I highly doubt management of the parent co of WIS would consider WIS to be worth 1/6 of that and probably even less.

100% agree though that "buying WIS" is alot more than just the purchase price. Would have to unbundle it from SportsHub platform (and other interrelated things like the debt SportsHub) which has a fair amount of costs in addition to the ongoing expenses. And frankly, if WiS was profitable enough to be worth that hassle, it's probably worth more than the 300-600K estimate I had (which I doubt).

That said, I continue to think if someone was actually interested and had the capital to do so, Sharplink (the parent co) would actively listen. They financial statements definitely indicate a company looking for transactions, especially for small subs that don't really fit their business model.
5/31/2023 5:57 PM
hmmmm. the 5-10 minutes post i was responding to got deleted (it was a few hours before mine, right above mine, i woulda quoted a reply to a post a page and a month back or whatever!). it was referencing earlier post about 5-10m (that WIS runs this game on 5-10 minutes a day), the earlier post being sort of too clueless / arrogant to even respond to. someone carried that forward though who was generally a reasonable person. wasn't meaning to insult them, but the idea that you'd get ~70k a year on ~5m a day was presented semi-seriously. hopefully they removed it not feeling insulted but recognizing the silliness inherent.
6/1/2023 9:42 AM (edited)
I removed mine because I would have had to get a lot deeper for it to really make sense and be accurate. The bottom line is, I believe HD's value is a bit more than most people would assume.
6/1/2023 1:04 PM (edited)
I've legitimately contacted them, offered, and been turned down. I would 100% love to, there are so many ways that this site could be enhanced, grown and improved.
6/5/2023 4:13 PM
How much did you offer?
6/6/2023 10:36 AM
Posted by Fregoe on 6/6/2023 10:36:00 AM (view original):
How much did you offer?
I didn't even get the chance, I reached out about the opportunity and got turned down. I've looked back, that was a year ago with SportsHub. I reached out to the listed investor relations contact at SharpLink yesterday. As I've heard from others, I know that this site has a ton of potential for upgrades, growth and new avenues if someone really invested in the project is leading the endeavor.
6/6/2023 12:05 PM
Posted by upsetcity on 5/29/2023 2:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by salag on 5/29/2023 9:48:00 AM (view original):
I think most people are considering buying HD vs. WIS in this thread. Buying WIS means you’d need to be taking care of HBD, GD, and all of the sim leagues as well.

I recall adlorenz mentioning HD was the least profitable of all the games which is likely why so little attention is placed onto it relative to the other games (which also receive little attention in the grand scheme). If WIS was bought by the community, I’m guessing it would still be best putting HD on the back burner lol.
HD could be much more profitable if they updated the credit system. It seems silly that D2 and D3 earn the same number of credits as D1, when they each have 1/3 of the coaches of D1.
6/13/2023 3:19 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Anyone want to buy WhatIfSports? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.