Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by seamar_116 on 2/19/2014 7:24:00 AM (view original):
Luke Appling (40 y/o)  moved from SS to 3B, as did Vern Stephens (31), Maury Wills (34), Dick Groat (34), Maranville to 2b at 40....but yeah, I see why it was impossible for Jeter to do it...a HOF infielder just can't learn to play another infield  position.
Footwork around the bag for a 2B versus for a SS.

A 39/40 year old coming off a severe ankle injury.

Jeter transitioning to 2B just doesn't sound like a great idea given those two things.
2/19/2014 8:26 AM
I was attempting to think of a recent star that was moved against his will.   Hanley Ramirez is the only one that comes to mind.   How'd that work out?
2/19/2014 8:32 AM
FWIW, the point has long been "What's the other option?"   

Moving Jeter this season would just be stupid.
2/19/2014 9:23 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 9:23:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, the point has long been "What's the other option?"   

Moving Jeter this season would just be stupid.
Giving him a raise to play SS at a **** level this season doesn't seem like a smart choice. There were (are) better options available.
2/19/2014 10:41 AM
No idea how but the raise helped with the luxury tax cap.   So, while I may not be able to argue the level of his play(since I've said I expect the Yanks to be also rans, one might gather that "****" might be what I expect), I wouldn't call it a dumb choice based on luxury tax implications.

So, with luxury tax in mind, what were(are) the better options?
2/19/2014 10:45 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/18/2014 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Truth is, winning makes people ignore the warts.   He hit the ball, played SS adequately and the Yankees won.   So, yes, you'd have been hard-pressed to find a Yankee fan clamoring to move him to LF.   Remove the winning and only the fringe defends his defense. 

So, if you want to classify "dumbass Yankee fans", maybe we should talk about "dumbass Oriole fans" declaring Larry Bigbie as the next 40/40 guy or Melvin Mora as the next .400 hitter. 

That said, what's the answer?    Move Jeter to LF when A-Rod arrives.  Maybe it works, maybe it fails miserably.  Either way, A-Rod "outgrows" SS in a couple of years.   What's the solution now?
For a guy who has me blocked and doesn't read my posts, you're sure talking about me a lot.

How many truck stop whores have you banged this month? Regale us with the details, oh mighty MikeT!!!
2/19/2014 11:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/18/2014 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/18/2014 9:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/18/2014 9:13:00 PM (view original):

As an example, Reggie wasn't very good in RF.   The A's didn't say "Hey, Reggie will DH and play some first!!!  We'll find a better rightfielder!!!!   Hell, Jesus Alou is better in the OF than Reggie!!!!!"

I know you're not dumb enough to consider this relevant.  SS and RF aren't in the same stratosphere in terms of defensive significance.  Rangy shortstops who stay healthy get 700+ balls a season; right fielders rarely get half that.  And easy plays in RF are much easier than easy plays at SS.
Not the point.   You look to improve your team.  You don't **** with your stars.   It's as simple as that and you know it.

Dumping Fosse/Green, so what?
Moving Reggie/Jeter for better defense, no.

Please tell me you understand this.   It's been a civil discussion but, if you're going to dumb up, it won't be.
They shouldn't have had to **** with their star. Ripken OFFERED to move to 3rd when Bordick came in. Funny that the "selfish *****", one of the best SS of all time, offered to move to help his team, but you've admitted yourself that even if asked by the team, Jeter never would have budged.

JETAH IS THE ULTIMATE TEAM PLAYAH!!!
2/19/2014 12:02 PM
When did Mike say that "Jeter would never have budged" if asked by the Yankees to switch positions?
2/19/2014 12:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/18/2014 10:53:00 AM (view original):
And, quite frankly, no one has the clout to say "Hey, Derek, how about give 2B a shot."      Cashman knew this 4 years ago.   That's why he played hardball, in the press, with Jeter on this last contract.   I don't think he would have been sad at all if Jeter said "**** you.  I'm going to play for the Mets!!!!!"   He knew that Jeter could not be moved off SS by anyone in the organization.    And, as you saw, they had no one waiting in the wings to take over.

Right now, today, Jeter is the best SS option for the Yankees.
Here. This implies Jeter had the run of the organization and never would have moved off SS.
2/19/2014 12:08 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 12:05:00 PM (view original):
When did Mike say that "Jeter would never have budged" if asked by the Yankees to switch positions?
I didn't.    To the best of our knowledge, he was never asked and he never volunteered.   

We do know that Cashman said trading for A-Rod revolved around his willingness to switch positions.   Did they ask Jeter and he said "no"?   Or did they project A-Rod to be a 3B as he aged like Ripken?    We don't know.
2/19/2014 12:12 PM
But we do know that HOFer Ripken volunteered to move aside for a better option. Would Jeter move aside so they can make a run at Drew? Doubtful.
2/19/2014 12:14 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/19/2014 12:08:00 PM (view original):
And, quite frankly, no one has the clout to say "Hey, Derek, how about give 2B a shot."      Cashman knew this 4 years ago.   That's why he played hardball, in the press, with Jeter on this last contract.   I don't think he would have been sad at all if Jeter said "**** you.  I'm going to play for the Mets!!!!!"   He knew that Jeter could not be moved off SS by anyone in the organization.    And, as you saw, they had no one waiting in the wings to take over.

Here. This implies Jeter had the run of the organization and never would have moved off SS.
Reading comprehension seems to be a challenge for you, no?

"He knew that Jeter could not be moved off SS by anyone in the organization."  Most people would correctly interpret that as there were no SS prospects in the Yankees farm system that could replace him at short.

2/19/2014 12:17 PM
"No one has the clout to say 'Hey, Derek, how about give 2B a shot'"

Do prospects in the farm system usually ask ML players to switch positions?

So who has the challenge with reading comprehension again?
2/19/2014 12:19 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 12:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/19/2014 12:08:00 PM (view original):

Reading comprehension seems to be a challenge for you, no?

"He knew that Jeter could not be moved off SS by anyone in the organization."  Most people would correctly interpret that as there were no SS prospects in the Yankees farm system that could replace him at short.

In the retard's defense, he interpreted properly. 

No one was going to force Jeter to move if he DIDN'T WANT TO without a ridiculous amount of scrutiny.   We don't know if he was ever asked.  I imagine, if someone came up to Jeter and said "We know you've said you didn't want to swap positions but that's going to happen", he'd have swapped positions.    And, when questioned by the media, Jeter would have presented his normal non-answer of "I don't make those decisions.  The team decided that this was best for the organization so I'm going to do my best at my new position."    Meaningless and harmless but not an endorsement of the move.

That said, the Yanks have not had a legit SS option in the minors since Jeter.   So the only reason he would have been asked would have been because they were signing someone to play SS.   That has never happened.

2/19/2014 12:23 PM
The problem lies in what the hater's assume.

They assume Jeter refused to move from SS.   I assume he was never asked.   I extremely doubt he volunteered.    There was team and individual success with him at SS.   To assume MLB players are without ego is just stupid.    He was the SS for the New York Yankees.   A childhood dream if he's to be believed.    The team was in the playoffs every year.  He was talked about as one of the best.   Why would he volunteer to move?
2/19/2014 12:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.