Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 10:45:00 AM (view original):
No idea how but the raise helped with the luxury tax cap.   So, while I may not be able to argue the level of his play(since I've said I expect the Yanks to be also rans, one might gather that "****" might be what I expect), I wouldn't call it a dumb choice based on luxury tax implications.

So, with luxury tax in mind, what were(are) the better options?
I heard that was really just a rumor.  They gave him a raise because they're super nice.
2/19/2014 12:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 12:34:00 PM (view original):
The problem lies in what the hater's assume.

They assume Jeter refused to move from SS.   I assume he was never asked.   I extremely doubt he volunteered.    There was team and individual success with him at SS.   To assume MLB players are without ego is just stupid.    He was the SS for the New York Yankees.   A childhood dream if he's to be believed.    The team was in the playoffs every year.  He was talked about as one of the best.   Why would he volunteer to move?
Seems he mentioned in his press conference that he was never asked, and he'd certainly consider it if he was.  Was probably a "holy ****, we can't ask him to do that."

You volunteer to move because "It's the Jeter thing to do. Classy, team-first."  I wouldn't, and I bet 90% of the population wouldn't.  But someone who's image has been built as high as Jeter's is?  He does.
2/19/2014 12:36 PM
Sure.   If he's stinks out loud and the Yankees are losing.    But that never happened. 
2/19/2014 12:49 PM
And, yeah, that's what I'm saying.   The Yanks go thru one of their most successful runs in their history.   By far the most successful run in baseball in the recent era.  Who, other than George, would be able to say "I think we're going to move you to LF next season"?
2/19/2014 12:56 PM
A-Rod was better defensively.  The team would have been better if he moved to 3B.  But obviously, he's not going to, and I'm not going to rip HIM for not doing it.  He's not a bad teammate or person.  But for those who drool all over him with "HE ALWAYS DOES THE RIGHT THING WHAT A LEADER" this is another instance where they are wrong.  The best leaders are those who do what's best for the team.  Although the ones who scream "LEADER DERRR" are the same people who go "GOLD GLOVES DERRRR" so they wouldn't understand the point.
2/19/2014 1:02 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 12:56:00 PM (view original):
And, yeah, that's what I'm saying.   The Yanks go thru one of their most successful runs in their history.   By far the most successful run in baseball in the recent era.  Who, other than George, would be able to say "I think we're going to move you to LF next season"?
I get it, but it wouldn't have been the first time a future HOFer was moved.  I mean, ****, Ernie Banks moved to 1B in his early 30s.
2/19/2014 1:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 12:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 12:05:00 PM (view original):
When did Mike say that "Jeter would never have budged" if asked by the Yankees to switch positions?
I didn't.    To the best of our knowledge, he was never asked and he never volunteered.   

We do know that Cashman said trading for A-Rod revolved around his willingness to switch positions.   Did they ask Jeter and he said "no"?   Or did they project A-Rod to be a 3B as he aged like Ripken?    We don't know.

This.   The trade was contingent on A-Rod moving.    Do we know why the Yanks asked A-Rod if he'd play 3B?   No, we do not.

2/19/2014 1:02 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/19/2014 1:01:00 PM (view original):
I get it, but it wouldn't have been the first time a future HOFer was moved.  I mean, ****, Ernie Banks moved to 1B in his early 30s.
Right after the Cubs won all those WS?
2/19/2014 1:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 12:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 12:05:00 PM (view original):
When did Mike say that "Jeter would never have budged" if asked by the Yankees to switch positions?
I didn't.    To the best of our knowledge, he was never asked and he never volunteered.   

We do know that Cashman said trading for A-Rod revolved around his willingness to switch positions.   Did they ask Jeter and he said "no"?   Or did they project A-Rod to be a 3B as he aged like Ripken?    We don't know.

This.   The trade was contingent on A-Rod moving.    Do we know why the Yanks asked A-Rod if he'd play 3B?   No, we do not.

I mean, Jeter is better served at 3B too - his range also got worse.

I get not asking Jeter to move from SS.  I understand the reasoning.  But at that moment, the team was better off with Jeter learning to play 3B.  We know Jeter didn't volunteer. 
2/19/2014 1:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 1:03:00 PM (view original):
So because the Yankees won WS, they weren't interested in improving their team?  Why get A-Rod then, what you're doing works, right?
2/19/2014 1:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 10:45:00 AM (view original):
No idea how but the raise helped with the luxury tax cap.   So, while I may not be able to argue the level of his play(since I've said I expect the Yanks to be also rans, one might gather that "****" might be what I expect), I wouldn't call it a dumb choice based on luxury tax implications.

So, with luxury tax in mind, what were(are) the better options?
It didn't actually help with the tax.

And the Yankees are over the luxury tax anyway, it makes no sense to accept Jeter's play at short in order to save a little money. Drew would still be a better option. Peralta would have been a better option.
2/19/2014 1:09 PM
Jeter moving to 3B wouldn't have worked, he doesn't have the reaction time.  A-Rod was definitely a better candidate for that move.  It should have been the outfield.
2/19/2014 1:19 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/19/2014 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 1:03:00 PM (view original):
So because the Yankees won WS, they weren't interested in improving their team?  Why get A-Rod then, what you're doing works, right?

Already covered.  You have to read the thread.

BTW, if Boone doesn't wreck his knee playing hoops, the deal never happens.   Yanks told TX they weren't interested initially.  30 for 30 detailed the story recently.

2/19/2014 1:22 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/19/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Jeter moving to 3B wouldn't have worked, he doesn't have the reaction time.  A-Rod was definitely a better candidate for that move.  It should have been the outfield.
He doesn't have the reaction time?  Why was it obvious that A-Rod did and Jeter didn't?

I'd argue Yankees were better with Matsui/Bernie/Sheffield and DH of Sierra/Williams (w Lofton in CF) and Jeter at 3B. 
2/19/2014 1:26 PM
It was a good thing that Boone wrecked his knee then, because Arod was way better (at least for the first 6 or 7 years after the trade).
2/19/2014 1:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.