© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

I think you've read quite a bit of opinion into that post....that is clearly not the summary of what he said
11/18/2011 2:58 PM
I wasn't the one booing Sveum, I personally didn't care about his lack of discretion as a 3B coach once the Sox already had their rings.  But given how bad he was as a 3B coach, I was a bit surprised that he ranked so highly as a managerial candidate.  Granted that managing doesn't entail deciding whether to send runners home or not, but he established a poor ability to make snap decisions in that role.  I'd be a bit worried about him making questionable moves in high leverage situations.
11/18/2011 3:45 PM
So guys can't learn or adapt?  As a manager I really don't expect him to jump out of the dugout and start instinctively waving guys home.

Fortunately the Cubs don't look to be a contender for 2012, it will be OK for him to adjust to managing and get a feel for the game and decision-making.
11/18/2011 3:52 PM
and I've said it is entirely possible for him to turn into a good MLB manager....but there are logical reasons to not love him in Boston that have nothing to do with 'typical' fans here that just like to dump on people
11/18/2011 4:16 PM

MLB managers don't make snap decisions.   It's baseball.  They have plenty of time to make a decision.   Dude might be a sharp baseball mind but a **** judge of baserunning skills, speed and arm strength/accuracy.

11/18/2011 4:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/18/2011 4:22:00 PM (view original):

MLB managers don't make snap decisions.   It's baseball.  They have plenty of time to make a decision.   Dude might be a sharp baseball mind but a **** judge of baserunning skills, speed and arm strength/accuracy.

Managers don't have to make split second decisions, but they still can choke from time to time since they do have a limited time frame.  It's not like a GM who can consult with his assistants and scouts and stew on possible moves over a few days, they have brief windows to make their calls.

Maybe Sveum will become a good manager, or at the very least a lot better than he was 3B coach.  But there are reasons to worry that he might not be equipped to manage in high pressure situations.
11/18/2011 4:36 PM
He did start Jeff Suppan in the playoffs, that has to be a big red flag.
11/18/2011 4:43 PM
The limited time frame is what?   6 months?

Preparation trumps everything. 
11/18/2011 4:44 PM
On the other hand, he did make it to the postseason despite managing only 12 games. That's pretty impressive. Has any big-league manager ever made it to the playoffs quicker in their managing career?
11/18/2011 4:46 PM

He's a winner with a funny name.

11/18/2011 4:53 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 11/18/2011 11:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by deanod on 11/17/2011 4:41:00 PM (view original):
yeah, we're really ****** we missed out on the only guy we booed after the 04 championship
I think this sums up Boston fans in a nutshell, after 86 years of waiting for a world championship, instead of being grateful they act like petulant little kids who think they are owed a championship.
Well said.
11/18/2011 8:03 PM
well said if he were a circus monkey......because then just being able to find the right keys would be amazing

the complete lack of rational thought would go largely unnoticed
11/18/2011 11:42 PM
Theo and company through their extensive interview process apparently saw not only rational thought but many otherr redeeming values. Being that they have worked their way up to becoming multi millionaire Presidents and GM's (in real life) I would think (hope) they know more about picking a manager than a bunch of guys playing sim baseball.
11/19/2011 8:34 AM
Posted by edsortails on 11/18/2011 11:42:00 PM (view original):
well said if he were a circus monkey......because then just being able to find the right keys would be amazing

the complete lack of rational thought would go largely unnoticed
You're just mad because you know it's true.
11/19/2011 11:53 AM
Posted by winnetka1 on 11/19/2011 8:34:00 AM (view original):
Theo and company through their extensive interview process apparently saw not only rational thought but many otherr redeeming values. Being that they have worked their way up to becoming multi millionaire Presidents and GM's (in real life) I would think (hope) they know more about picking a manager than a bunch of guys playing sim baseball.
I'd love to see an MLB team hire someone like ARomano, elbirdo or mensu out of the sim world and make him a GM.

Unless one of those guys is hiding mysanthropic tendencies or schizophrenia on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if they would do well.

A smart new GM with an experienced assistant could be a quick learner.

But this is merely the world of What If...
11/19/2011 5:48 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19...21 Next ▸
© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.