2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Posted by Jtpsops on 8/30/2014 11:54:00 AM (view original):
Really? Prove it. His road stats are even with what Tillman has done all year. His home stats are better. Clearly he's benefiting from pitching in the coliseum. If he had to pitch half his games at Camden Yards (or Fenway/Rogers Centre/Yankee Stadium) he would not be doing as well. Keep looking at numbers in a vacuum though.
ERA+ adjusts for ballpark.
8/30/2014 11:58 AM
I'm more interested in baserunners. Kazmir's WHIP is 1.11. Tillman's is 1.20. Tillman allows more walks but their H/9 are exactly the same, despite Kazmir pitching in Oakland (and LA and Seattle). If you put Tillman in the West and Kazmir in the East, their numbers would not stay the same. It would probably be a pretty even swap between their respective stats right now, or Tillman's would be slightly better since he gives up relatively fewer hits.
8/30/2014 12:42 PM
Actually, when it comes to hits, Baltimore has been more pitcher friendly than Oakland this season.
8/30/2014 12:51 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/2/2014 1:42:00 AM (view original):
Tillman now with the 115 to 110 ERA+ advantage, not to mention 17.1 more innings.

But please, continue to tell us how Kazmir is a better pitcher.

Ok, Tillman pulled ahead. I'm not married to either one.
9/2/2014 11:49 AM
Nobody who's actually been watching baseball for the past 3 years thought Kazmir was a better pitcher than Tillman, though...
Look, I don't even remember how this came up, but I don't think it was unreasonable at the beginning of this year to think Kazmir would be better. I still think there's a decent chance that Kazmir pulls ahead again this season, assuming he isn't injured.
9/2/2014 12:00 PM
Nobody who's actually been watching baseball for the past 3 years thought Kazmir was a better pitcher than Tillman, though...
This is Tillman 2nd full season.  You sound like a complete moron homer.

Tillman is good, but when it comes down to it, I'll take the guy with the same stats, but is a lefty.
9/2/2014 1:02 PM
It's comical.  This issues was a non issue when Tillman **** the bed.  Now, he's strung along a month or 2 of solid pitching and Kaz has had his month of garbage...and now it's the Tillman is a ace parade.
9/2/2014 1:06 PM
I didn't say that...

Nobody asked me if Tillman is an ace.  He's clearly not.  But Kazmir is shot; he hasn't been able to stand up to the rigors of a full Major League season in years.  He doesn't have the stuff any more, he doesn't have the durability, he's just not that good a pitcher at this point in his career.  Arguably could be more valuable coming out of the bullpen.

Also, does it make me a "complete moron homer" for Seattle to say that Iwakuma is an ace?  Does it make me a Miami homer to say that Jose Fernandez is going to be an ace?  If you think you can't watch a pitcher for 2 years - or even substantially less - and get a good read on what he's capable of you clearly don't know that much about the game.  Of course pitchers can change (who knows how Fernandez bounces back, honestly), but you can get a good read on what they are at any given time.  And I think it's fairly obvious that Kazmir will never again be as good as Tillman is now.  For a few years in his early 20s he was better that Tillman is ever likely to be, but those days are long gone.
9/2/2014 1:42 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to argue that Kazmir is just as good or better than Tillman. He was better for most of the year and it took 4 bad starts in one month for him to fall behind. Is that a sign of things to come? Maybe, especially if he's injured. Or it could be similar to the rough patch that Tillman sprinkled through April/May/June.

Prior to his 2 good starts/4 bad starts August, Kazmir's season line was 129 IP with a 2.37 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP with 116 K's. Regression was inevitable, but I doubt Kazmir is shot.
9/2/2014 2:32 PM
How many of Kazmir's starts have you watched this season?
9/2/2014 2:49 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/2/2014 2:49:00 PM (view original):
How many of Kazmir's starts have you watched this season?
Maybe 4.
9/2/2014 2:55 PM
◂ Prev 1...61|62|63|64|65...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.